The freeway in the On Star commercial.

Started by Riverside Frwy, January 31, 2010, 12:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverside Frwy

What's the freeway in this OnStar Commercial?

TheStranger

Just judging from the signage for Lafayette Avenue and Jefferson Avenue, that looks to be the southeastern end of the Lodge Freeway (M-10) in Detroit.
Chris Sampang

njroadhorse

Quote from: TheStranger on January 31, 2010, 01:42:03 AM
Just judging from the signage for Lafayette Avenue and Jefferson Avenue, that looks to be the southeastern end of the Lodge Freeway (M-10) in Detroit.
Just what Detroit needs, more criminal activity caught on camera :-D
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

thenetwork

That is Affirmative...Interesting that they pick crime-ridden Detroit for a stolen car commercial, and they pick a stretch of freeway that is less than a mile from GM World Headquarters (although that stretch of freeway can easily be shut down for a short time for a location shoot without any major headaches -- just detour traffic onto I-375 into downtown).

Not sure if that was Michigan Avenue (US 12) or Fort Street (M-85) in the opening shot, but it is heading towards Grand Circus Park in Downtown Detroit.

I-75, near Exit 5 ?!??

rawmustard

Where he was pulled over was the southern end of I-375, since that transitions into westbound Jefferson.

Quote from: thenetwork on January 31, 2010, 10:10:00 AM
Not sure if that was Michigan Avenue (US 12) or Fort Street (M-85) in the opening shot, but it is heading towards Grand Circus Park in Downtown Detroit.

I'd say Fort based on that he's crossing Washington Blvd with the federal court house on the left and an M-shield in the distance.
I-75, near Exit 5 ?!??

Meh, creative license.

thenetwork

Quote from: rawmustard on January 31, 2010, 12:26:45 PM
You are right...I thought it was the Lodge, since, like I-375, there is one left-lane exit between the Fisher Freeway (I-75) and Downtown/Jefferson Avenue. I thought the brief look at the left exit was Bagley Avenue/Cobo Roof parking. I never used inbound I-375 since I always got to downtown via Livonia/I-96 or Toledo/I-75.

Coming from downtown &/or the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel however, I always used I-375 outbound, instead of doing the Michigan Left to get onto M-10.  Much easier and, at night, much safer...

...Except for the one time I followed a detour route along the city streets, only to have my Nissan Sentra die in front of a Days Inn, where a rap group was staying .  Their concert just ended, fans were infiltrating the hotel and a riot (per the Detroit Police) was going on.  I pushed my car onto the sidewalk next to the hotel parking valet booth.  Lets just say that the booth attendant and myself were the only two people who shared the same...ethnicity...and were both in the little booth hoping my car would not be tipped over and set aflame despite the 10 degree temps!!  The date was December 10, 1988 and yes I lived to tell about it.  (BTW, the car was towed to my Aunt's house in Livonia -- 20 miles -- and the car must have had fuel line freeze up, since it started up w/ no problems the next morning).

Michael

Here's Google's Street View of the spot where the chase ends.  I find it ironic that a GM commercial was shot on the Chrysler Freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.