News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-495 and I-270 Managed Lanes

Started by davewiecking, July 11, 2018, 11:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2019, 08:04:31 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2019, 08:22:01 AM
How and where was it shown that way and it what level of EIS?  It doesn't match what is already there to the east.  Single managed lane each way.
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/hampton_roads/64HighRiseDocuments/Alternatives_Development_Technical_Report.pdf
It was indicated in the Final Environmental Assessment - Alternatives Development Technical Report on Page 49. Two general purpose lanes and two managed lanes each way. On the bottom, it even says "HOT Lane Scenario"
Those typical sections correlate with the alternative they selected - managed lanes. They indicated in what you posted above they would choose at a later time the type of management - HO/T lanes, HOV lanes, or all lanes tolled. They have since gone with the HO/T lane alternative - meaning it would follow this typical section ultimately. Unless they change it, that's what it currently is now. I'm hoping they will use common sense and change it to 3+1 each way, but that's where it stands now.
From various Facebook and community groups I'm involved with here in the area, and from speaking to friends of mine about this project, I can say the HO/T concept is not favored in Hampton Roads, and many say they don't want this area to become like Northern Virginia. Many wanted the current Phase #1 widening to be GP only, and don't favor the current 1 lane HO/T addition. One of the reasons I support converting this current lane into a GP lane, then adding -one- HO/T lane later. The current approved typical section ultimately of 2+2 each way is highly disliked, and quite frankly doesn't make sense judging by the 3+1 each way east of VA-168.

Like I said it contradicts the 3+1 each way east of VA-168, it doesn't make any sense unless that gets changed to the same 2+2 arrangement, and the CTB resolution was in 2015 which is after the above report was published, where it said, "with a decision as to the management option to be made at a later date".

Has there been any official decision or even proposal to ultimately change the 3+1 each way east of VA-168 to 2+2?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2019, 08:21:49 PM
Like I said it contradicts the 3+1 each way east of VA-168
100% agree

and the CTB resolution was in 2015 which is after the above report was published, where it said, "with a decision as to the management option to be made at a later date".
That was referring to the type of management, there were 3 options - HOV, HO/T, or toll all lanes. They ultimately went with HO/T lanes, as seen by this project which started in 2018, which the ultimate 8-lane build section for HO/T lanes are 2+2.

Has there been any official decision or even proposal to ultimately change the 3+1 each way east of VA-168 to 2+2?
No, the only proposal east of VA-168 was to convert the -one- HOV lane into -one- HO/T lane, and still leave 3 GP lanes. And if they ever wanted to make it 2+2 east of VA-168, that would be a mistake traffic wise. 100,000+ AADT use that stretch, shrinking it down to 2 general purpose lanes each way would not go well. There's already problems when it goes from 3 GP to 2 GP lanes currently going towards the High Rise Bridge, and the whole High Rise Bridge corridor is nothing but stop and go during rush hour. That's also why I think there should be 3 GP lanes going that way, and only 1 HO/T. And initially, only 1 GP lane then 1 HO/T later.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2019, 08:28:55 PM
No, the only proposal east of VA-168 was to convert the -one- HOV lane into -one- HO/T lane, and still leave 3 GP lanes. And if they ever wanted to make it 2+2 east of VA-168, that would be a mistake traffic wise. 100,000+ AADT use that stretch, shrinking it down to 2 general purpose lanes each way would not go well. There's already problems when it goes from 3 GP to 2 GP lanes currently going towards the High Rise Bridge, and the whole High Rise Bridge corridor is nothing but stop and go during rush hour. That's also why I think there should be 3 GP lanes going that way, and only 1 HO/T. And initially, only 1 GP lane then 1 HO/T later.

Then I don't see how they can follow through with what is in the 2014 report.  I can't see any traffic engineering justification for going from 3+1 to 2+2 at that place, it would either be 3+1 the whole way or 2+2 the whole way (between the two I-264 interchanges).

Based on the public reaction to changing a GP lane to a HOV lane on the Dulles Toll Road in the 1990s, I don't think that VDOT will ever try that again.  They added a GP lane each way, then a year later changed that to HOV, then a year later changed it back to GP.  It wasn't until they added the 4th lane that they made that HOV from the inception.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
Then I don't see how they can follow through with what is in the 2014 report.  I can't see any traffic engineering justification for going from 3+1 to 2+2 at that place, it would either be 3+1 the whole way or 2+2 the whole way (between the two I-264 interchanges).
It really makes no sense, I agree. 3+1 the entire way is really the only option makes sense - having 2 HO/T lanes is not justified, and only having 2 GP lanes also isn't justified.

I wrote an email to the project manager about a year ago regarding the ultimate build and the issues it had, she informed me she would reach back with more information a week later, and nothing after that. I really wasn't expecting much though.
Quote from: Beltway on June 15, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
Based on the public reaction to changing a GP lane to a HOV lane on the Dulles Toll Road in the 1990s, I don't think that VDOT will ever try that again.  They added a GP lane each way, then a year later changed that to HOV, then a year later changed it back to GP.  It wasn't until they added the 4th lane that they made that HOV from the inception.
That's what I'm hoping will happen with the current widening - it will end up a GP lane until a HO/T lane is added later. Only time will tell.

And converting an -existing- GP lane into a HO/T lane will certainly not be welcomed, and it certainly would make traffic far worse.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2019, 08:46:34 PM
I wrote an email to the project manager about a year ago regarding the ultimate build and the issues it had, she informed me she would reach back with more information a week later, and nothing after that. I really wasn't expecting much though.

The important thing is to follow up, and not assume rejection after one cycle.  People are busy and have many tasks and may miss some.  With government agencies, be persistent.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

74/171FAN

Please stick to talking about the plans for I-495 and I-270.    -Mark
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Jmiles32

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2019/07/major-change-considered-for-beltway-270-toll-lanes-plan/
QuoteMaryland will consider one significantly different toll lane plan for the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270, the state disclosed Wednesday afternoon.

The Maryland Department of Transportation has agreed to conduct a more detailed review of a Montgomery County plan that recommends extending Virginia's 495 Express Lanes over a rebuilt American Legion Bridge up I-270 to Gaithersburg, where drivers headed toward Interstate 95 would be directed onto the Intercounty Connector.

The alternative was not one considered in earlier rounds of study, where the state essentially narrowed down remaining options to some type of toll lane construction along all of I-270 and the Maryland Beltway.

Deputy Transportation Secretary Earl Lewis said Gov. Larry Hogan's administration will conduct initial reviews over the next few weeks to see if the plan to divert traffic off the Beltway onto the ICC fits with the study's goals.

"We are also planning public and elected official outreach in August, and this alternative will be part of that process,"  Lewis said.

Using the already built ICC as part of the toll system plans would prevent any need to widen the entire Capital Beltway between I-270 and I-95, Montgomery County argues, protecting homes and parkland that are likely to be affected under the Hogan administration's current plans.

"This connection provides a managed-lane network for the entire north side of the Capital Beltway without requiring expansion of I-495 between I-270 and I-95,"  Montgomery County said in a July 11 letter to the Transportation Planning Board.

The plan does call for some upgrades on the Beltway between I-270 and I-95, such as variable speed limit signs and potential use of the shoulder for traffic at certain times.

It also includes significant changes to entice commuters to drive less by improving park-and-rides, commuter bus, MARC Train and long-promised local bus rapid transit systems that could be funded by part of the toll revenue.

Montgomery County's proposal would also see toll lanes built in the median of I-95 from the ICC to the Beltway that would continue through Prince George's County to near the Wilson Bridge and National Harbor.

North of Gaithersburg on I-270, there would be two reversible HOV lanes that tie in to the toll lanes in each direction from Interstate 370 to the Legion Bridge, Tysons and Springfield.

If this proposal results in both the ALB being fixed sooner and more public support then I'm all for it. However, from north of I-370 to Fredrick, I-270 needs another GP lane first. As I've stated regarding Virginia's I-64 southside and HRBT widening projects, IMO there should be at least 3 gp lanes before HOT or express lanes are constructed. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 25, 2019, 12:52:28 PM
where drivers headed toward Interstate 95 would be directed onto the Intercounty Connector.

plan to divert traffic off the Beltway onto the ICC.

Using the already built ICC as part of the toll system plans would prevent any need to widen the entire Capital Beltway between I-270 and I-95, Montgomery County argues, protecting homes and parkland that are likely to be affected under the Hogan administration's current plans.

"This connection provides a managed-lane network for the entire north side of the Capital Beltway without requiring expansion of I-495 between I-270 and I-95,"
Using the ICC is 11 miles and 11 minutes out of the way, and it wouldn't be a viable option to use that as the toll lane network IMO. There needs to be 2 toll lanes built each way on I-495 in order to be successful. If I were a toll paying customer or HOV (if they even will allow that), I'd opt to get off and just ride I-495 GP lanes. Maybe if there was a massive wreck I'd continue to ICC, but that's it. But if they are making the ICC apart of a toll lane network that allows HOV, the ICC should allow HOV 3+ free. But knowing Maryland, these lanes will be everyone pays.

As I've stated regarding Virginia's I-64 southside and HRBT widening projects, IMO there should be at least 3 gp lanes before HOT or express lanes are constructed.
Interestingly enough, the HRTPO is now evaluating a scenario where the existing HOV lanes are left in place, the small reversible HO/T segment opened last year remains in place, and all the new capacity being added to the HRBT and High Rise Bridge is general purpose instead of HO/T. It will be interesting to see the results of that in September-December. It would be nice to see if at least the High Rise Bridge corridor could be switched to GP lanes if it's determined the traffic flow will still be adequate even without HO/T lanes. We'll have to wait and see.

IMO, they're going overkill with the HO/T lane network down here. I'm just glad I-664 and US-58 hasn't been sucked into mess for those proposed widenings in the future, and hopefully these segments of I-64 currently planned for HO/T lanes will get changed based on this evaluation.

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 25, 2019, 01:09:59 PM
where drivers headed toward Interstate 95 would be directed onto the Intercounty Connector.

"This connection provides a managed-lane network for the entire north side of the Capital Beltway without requiring expansion of I-495 between I-270 and I-95,"
Using the ICC is 11 miles and 11 minutes out of the way, and it wouldn't be a viable option to use that as the toll lane network IMO. There needs to be 2 toll lanes built each way on I-495 in order to be successful. If I were a toll paying customer or HOV (if they even will allow that), I'd opt to get off and just ride I-495 GP lanes. Maybe if there was a massive wreck I'd continue to ICC, but that's it. But if they are making the ICC apart of a toll lane network that allows HOV, the ICC should allow HOV 3+ free. But knowing Maryland, these lanes will be everyone pays.

Building two express lanes on I-495 between I-270 and I-95 will be extremely disrupting to both the local community and the environment. I can also guarantee Montgomery County will find some sort of way to fight this project and likely bog it down. This is a compromise that would hopefully get this project started sooner rather than later. I'm not saying that using the ICC will be faster nor that express lanes on this stretch of the I-495 shouldn't happen. I'm just saying to focus on the more publicly favorable parts first and deal with the messy ones later. Maybe when these critics see how fast the rest of I-495 and I-270 are moving they'll conveniently be more open-minded.

And yes the ICC would need to be HOV 3+ Free

As I've stated regarding Virginia's I-64 southside and HRBT widening projects, IMO there should be at least 3 gp lanes before HOT or express lanes are constructed.
Interestingly enough, the HRTPO is now evaluating a scenario where the existing HOV lanes are left in place, the small reversible HO/T segment opened last year remains in place, and all the new capacity being added to the HRBT and High Rise Bridge is general purpose instead of HO/T. It will be interesting to see the results of that in September-December. It would be nice to see if at least the High Rise Bridge corridor could be switched to GP lanes if it's determined the traffic flow will still be adequate even without HO/T lanes. We'll have to wait and see.

That would be great! Although ultimately it would be VDOT's decision correct?

sprjus4

^

The HRTPO will make the recommendation, then CTB would have approve any changes. It wouldn't be that hard though. The lane is there. Just stripe it as an actual lane instead of a double solid line and tubes dividing the lanes. And don't put up the gantries.

mrsman

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 25, 2019, 02:15:35 PM

Building two express lanes on I-495 between I-270 and I-95 will be extremely disrupting to both the local community and the environment. I can also guarantee Montgomery County will find some sort of way to fight this project and likely bog it down. This is a compromise that would hopefully get this project started sooner rather than later. I'm not saying that using the ICC will be faster nor that express lanes on this stretch of the I-495 shouldn't happen. I'm just saying to focus on the more publicly favorable parts first and deal with the messy ones later. Maybe when these critics see how fast the rest of I-495 and I-270 are moving they'll conveniently be more open-minded.

The ICC is only of limited value because it is pointed in the NW to SE direction.  For drivers coming from College Park (or other parts of the Beltway in PG County), they may find it useful to take I-95 to ICC towards I-270 north (Gaithersburg, Germantown, Frederick).  But unfortunately, it is pointed in the wrong direction to help alleviate the busier Baltimore-Bethesda/Tysons traffic.  If you take it, you'll be going too far out of your way.

famartin

Quote from: mrsman on July 25, 2019, 09:56:05 PM

The ICC is only of limited value because it is pointed in the NW to SE direction.  For drivers coming from College Park (or other parts of the Beltway in PG County), they may find it useful to take I-95 to ICC towards I-270 north (Gaithersburg, Germantown, Frederick).  But unfortunately, it is pointed in the wrong direction to help alleviate the busier Baltimore-Bethesda/Tysons traffic.  If you take it, you'll be going too far out of your way.

It is definitely out of the way, BUT there are times even now when it can be a bit faster, just because traffic on the 270-95 stretch of the Beltway can get SOOO bad.

odditude

Quote from: famartin on July 26, 2019, 03:06:18 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 25, 2019, 09:56:05 PM

It is definitely out of the way, BUT there are times even now when it can be a bit faster, just because traffic on the 270-95 stretch of the Beltway can get SOOO bad.

there have been several times as of late when Waze has suggested I take the ICC to I-270 back down to the Beltway when traveling from NJ to NOVA.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: odditude on July 26, 2019, 02:34:57 PM
there have been several times as of late when Waze has suggested I take the ICC to I-270 back down to the Beltway when traveling from NJ to NOVA.

I live in the eastern part of Montgomery County (near MD-200) and sometimes have to attend meetings at the VDOT Northern Virginia District near West Ox Road and U.S. 29 (Lee Highway) in Fairfax County.

The ICC is my preferred route because it spares me the misery of U.S. 29 down to I-495, as well as I-495 over to I-270. Unless something is very wrong on I-370 or I-270 between I-370 and the south end of I-270Y (270 Spur) it is an easier drive, even with the added miles.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

Here is an interactive map that MDOT released in order to help the public find which properties would be affected by this massive project: https://rkk.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c67313b31eb46fea59f0b14c7e6bf38

However, it also offers a glimpse into where and what the access points may be (Not final). Based on this map it appears that express toll lane access points will be at the following:

I-495
George Washington Parkway (full access including VA's plans)
Cabin John Parkway (northbound entry, southbound exit)
River Road (full access)
I-270 spur (southbound entry, northbound exit)
Old Georgetown Road (possibly full access?)
I-270 (eastbound entry, westbound exit)
Connecticut Avenue (full access)
US-29 (full access)
I-95 (full access)
US-1 (full access)
Cherrywood Lane (full access)
BW Parkway (full access)
US-50 (full access)
Richie Marlboro Road (full access)
MD-5/Pennsylvania Avenue (full access)
MD-5/Branch Avenue (half access for now)
End of express toll lanes

From the split on both I-270 and I-270 spur to I-495 it's pretty confusing in terms of access. Clarification on this would be appreciated.
I-270 (north of the split)
Montrose Road (full access)
West Gude Road (southbound entry, northbound exit)
I-370 (half access for now)

Overall a lot planned here with many interchange modications included as well (although nothing too major). I would definitely recommend checking it out because I'm sure theres stuff I missed.  While I don't have any problems with these designs, I still am opposed to the phasing that would do I-270 first without addressing the American Legion bridge.

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on October 22, 2019, 01:40:55 PM
Here is an interactive map that MDOT released in order to help the public find which properties would be affected by this massive project: https://rkk.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c67313b31eb46fea59f0b14c7e6bf38

However, it also offers a glimpse into where and what the access points may be (Not final). Based on this map it appears that express toll lane access points will be at the following:

I-495
George Washington Parkway (full access including VA's plans)
Cabin John Parkway (northbound entry, southbound exit)
River Road (full access)
I-270 spur (southbound entry, northbound exit)
Old Georgetown Road (possibly full access?)
I-270 (eastbound entry, westbound exit)
Connecticut Avenue (full access)
US-29 (full access)
I-95 (full access)
US-1 (full access)
Cherrywood Lane (full access)
BW Parkway (full access)
US-50 (full access)
Richie Marlboro Road (full access)
MD-5/Pennsylvania Avenue (full access)
MD-5/Branch Avenue (half access for now)

From the split on both I-270 and I-270 spur to I-495 it's pretty confusing in terms of access. Clarification on this would be appreciated.
I-270 (north of the split)
Montrose Road (full access)
West Gude Road (southbound entry, northbound exit)
I-370 (half access for now)

Overall a lot planned here with many interchange modications included as well (although nothing too major). I would definitely recommend checking it out because I'm sure theres stuff I missed.  While I don't have any problems with these designs, I still am opposed to the phasing that would do I-270 first without addressing the American Legion bridge.
Here's one more thing they need to do (but won't) - make the lanes free to HOV-3 to match Virginia's setup. But if the term "ETL"  and what they did in Baltimore is any indication - it'll be tolled for all traffic. Curious if the toll rates will be more reasonably priced compared to Transurban's private lanes, but again doubt it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 22, 2019, 03:52:24 PM
Here's one more thing they need to do (but won't) - make the lanes free to HOV-3 to match Virginia's setup. But if the term "ETL"  and what they did in Baltimore is any indication - it'll be tolled for all traffic. Curious if the toll rates will be more reasonably priced compared to Transurban's private lanes, but again doubt it.

No decision has been made on that. 

IMO Maryland should adopt the HOV-3 exemption from tolls for the tolled lanes in the Washington area.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Curious if the toll rates will be more reasonably priced compared to Transurban’s private lanes, but again doubt it.

You still have no clue how congestion pricing works to keep traffic moving.  You still have this idea that by lowering the tolls, traffic won't increase and eventually jam up.  Or maybe that's what you want, defeating the whole purpose of the tolled lanes.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2019, 06:09:10 AM
Curious if the toll rates will be more reasonably priced compared to Transurban’s private lanes, but again doubt it.

You still have no clue how congestion pricing works to keep traffic moving.  You still have this idea that by lowering the tolls, traffic won't increase and eventually jam up.  Or maybe that's what you want, defeating the whole purpose of the tolled lanes.

There are other congestion pricing models out there besides the one used in Virginia where tolls have no theoretical upper limit.

I-15 HOT lanes in San Diego are also congestion based but the toll for the entire 20 mile stretch of managed lanes caps at $8.  Once the toll reaches $8 it becomes illegal for additional non-HOV vehicles (HOV 2+) to enter the lanes.  This certainly would keep the HOT lanes flowing but I do not know the impact on the free lanes this system has.  When I drove it once this past January it was in the opposite direction of rush hour so I had the lane to myself and mainline I-15 wasn't very bad either.  Wasn't paying enough attention to SB traffic to see what that was like.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 23, 2019, 06:42:33 AM
I-15 HOT lanes in San Diego are also congestion based but the toll for the entire 20 mile stretch of managed lanes caps at $8.  Once the toll reaches $8 it becomes illegal for additional non-HOV vehicles (HOV 2+) to enter the lanes. 
Not illegal, actually, in effect an additional toll --

Solo drivers should not enter the Express Lanes when "HOV ONLY"  is displayed in the overhead signs.  If you enter the lanes after the "HOV ONLY"  message is displayed, you will be charged the maximum toll amount, currently $8, and assessed a fine equal to the maximum toll amount.

https://511sd.com/fastrak511sd/how-to-use-the-I-15-Express-Lanes

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on October 23, 2019, 07:10:09 AM
I-15 HOT lanes in San Diego are also congestion based but the toll for the entire 20 mile stretch of managed lanes caps at $8.  Once the toll reaches $8 it becomes illegal for additional non-HOV vehicles (HOV 2+) to enter the lanes. 

Solo drivers should not enter the Express Lanes when "HOV ONLY"  is displayed in the overhead signs.  If you enter the lanes after the "HOV ONLY"  message is displayed, you will be charged the maximum toll amount, currently $8, and assessed a fine equal to the maximum toll amount.

Guess I shoulda refreshed my memory before posting...

That is not much of a disincentive if you ask me.  $16 for 20 miles is still better than parts of the Virginia HOT lanes during rush hour.  But my overall point remains that congestion pricing does not necessarily have to be open-ended...

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 23, 2019, 08:52:34 AM
That is not much of a disincentive if you ask me.  $16 for 20 miles is still better than parts of the Virginia HOT lanes during rush hour.  But my overall point remains that congestion pricing does not necessarily have to be open-ended...
Given that it is only HOV-2, it would seem to indicate that the demand is not very high.  Plus since San Diego is in the corner of the country, the thru traffic volumes would be much lower than I-95 near D.C.  I am one of those thru traffic users, not a local commuter.

It doubling the toll becomes an insufficient disincentive, then they may decide to triple it.  It is still congestion pricing.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 23, 2019, 08:52:34 AM

Solo drivers should not enter the Express Lanes when “HOV ONLY” is displayed in the overhead signs.  If you enter the lanes after the “HOV ONLY” message is displayed, you will be charged the maximum toll amount, currently $8, and assessed a fine equal to the maximum toll amount.

How congested does it get? 

Put it this way:  If congestion pricing in DC amounts to $16, or if it maxes out at $8 and people decide to enter with an $8 additional penalty, what's the difference?  Being that motorists are using the HOT lanes and freely paying $20 or more to do so, the penalty on a max fare would have to be awfully steep to keep people out of the HOT lanes.

There does come a point where the price is too high for people to utilize tolled lanes - it's very unlikely to find motorists entering when it's going to cost them over $30 or $40.  So a max fare with a $50 penalty (which is a standard penalty amount at many toll bridges or highways where you must use EZ Pass in specific lanes) would probably work.  But at that point, you've also reached capacity of the tolled lanes earlier, keeping out people that would've willing to have paid a bit more than the max fare, and in turn adding to the congestion in the free lanes. And in the DC area, that capacity will wind up being reached before when a traditional rush hour would've even started.  Likewise, and to Beltway's point, the volume of thru traffic is so great in the DC area that congestion at 8 or 9pm is fairly normal, especially on busier Friday evenings.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2019, 12:31:23 PM
Likewise, and to Beltway's point, the volume of thru traffic is so great in the DC area that congestion at 8 or 9pm is fairly normal, especially on busier Friday evenings.

I've only rarely needed the HOT lanes at those times, the GP traffic is generally near full highway speed even if it gets really heavy at times.  But the HOT lanes do decent business at those times, a much more peaceful ride not having to deal with all that frequent interchange traffic along the way.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on October 23, 2019, 04:00:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2019, 12:31:23 PM
Likewise, and to Beltway's point, the volume of thru traffic is so great in the DC area that congestion at 8 or 9pm is fairly normal, especially on busier Friday evenings.

I've only rarely needed the HOT lanes at those times, the GP traffic is generally near full highway speed even if it gets really heavy at times.  But the HOT lanes do decent business at those times, a much more peaceful ride not having to deal with all that frequent interchange traffic along the way.
Just stick to the left lane and you avoid all of the interchanges. It's worked for me most times without interruption. It's only the right lane and maybe middle lane that gets impacted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.