AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Arkansas's Highway Problem  (Read 1276 times)

TBKS1

• Central Arkansas Native

• Last Login: April 12, 2019, 04:34:36 PM
Arkansas's Highway Problem
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »

Alright, I think it's about time for me to make a topic on this.

So one thing that I've noticed about highways in Arkansas is the fact that almost every single numbered highway is split into more than one route. Take AR-74 for example:

I just can't figure out what the reasoning behind why there's multiple highways with the same number here. I don't know if anyone here would know, and I'll probably even ask ARDOT if there's a reasoning for it sometime later.

Thanks for reading. - TBKS1
I'm a nice guy... I swear.

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 05:14:27 PM
Re: Arkansas's Highway Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »

So one thing that I've noticed about highways in Arkansas is the fact that almost every single numbered highway is split into more than one route. Take AR-74 for example:

I just can't figure out what the reasoning behind why there's multiple highways with the same number here. I don't know if anyone here would know, and I'll probably even ask ARDOT if there's a reasoning for it sometime later.

Thanks for reading. - TBKS1

Per this article, the route is " a series of road segments"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Highway_74 

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:31 AM
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »

A lot of Arkansasí discontinuous highways are in somewhat of a straight line and could be theoretically connected either by a concurrency or a new terrain route. AR 88 is another prime example.

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 02:52:07 AM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:49:36 AM »

Many of these discontinuous highways could theoretically be connected via overlaps but ArrrrrrrghDOT refuses to sign US routes along interstates and state highways along US highways and even other state highways, so don't count on it happening soon. Discontinuous highways and unsigned highways are my least favorite things about Arkansas.

Nexus 5X

This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

index

• Pry my suffixed routes from my cold, dead hands

• Last Login: Today at 02:52:11 PM
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »

An extreme example of this is AR 980. It's the number designation for every state maintained airport road. They're not even in a line that could be connected in a sensible way, just scattered throughout the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Highway_980
North Carolinian born in Fairfax County, VA. Advocate for slapping an interstate shield over every single freeway and U.S. route corridor in NC.

State under shield (2DI/US only) = partial clinch.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 11:32:37 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »

I believe 74 was once a continuous highway. Over the years, parts of it have been relegated to county road departments.  74 to Devil's Den was not part of the original 74, but appeared later.

45, another discontinuous highway, was also one route from near Clifty, AR to Hartford (possibly to the OK State Line).  Over the years, it has been chopped up, truncated, and realigned. US 62 west of Fayetteville was once part of AR 45, as was AR 59 south of Evansville, and US 271 and AR 253 south of Ft Smith.

a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

jbnv

• Visionary

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:46 PM
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »

*psst* dashed routes ;)
Keep Clearview, lose the government bureaucracies and the politicians who enable them.
US Redo | Louisiana Redo | Route Challenge | Photos

paulthemapguy

• Beeeeees?

• Last Login: Today at 03:24:32 PM
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »

The purpose of a state highway department is to maintain connectivity, to facilitate a functioning highway network that might not exist if a hodge-podge of road segments were handed off to smaller agencies or abandoned altogether.  ARDOT is not doing the job that was the entire impetus for creating state DOT's in the first place.  I wish some larger agency like the federal government would step in and block Arkansas from stepping away from its duty.  The state government should be punished.  Looking at you, too, Indiana.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhQf3nW
Source Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskFU42pF
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

LET'S HAVE FUN YOU IDIOT FUN IS MANDATORY

jbnv

• Visionary

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:46 PM
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »

ARDOT is not doing the job that was the entire impetus for creating state DOT's in the first place.  I wish some larger agency like the federal government would step in and block Arkansas from stepping away from its duty.  The state government should be punished.  Looking at you, too, Indiana.

Dude, do you understand the concept of federalism? Do you seriously believe a federal agency can do a better job of maintaining Arkansas's highways than a state agency? Furthermore, why is that the business of everyone who doesn't live in or work in Arkansas?
Keep Clearview, lose the government bureaucracies and the politicians who enable them.
US Redo | Louisiana Redo | Route Challenge | Photos

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 04:02:33 PM
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »

OT to an extent. Does 49 ( between US 62 up to Bentonville ) have any street or overhead lighting yet? I was always amazed there was none 15 years ago when the area started to Sprawl...

Road Hog

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »

ARDOT is not doing the job that was the entire impetus for creating state DOT's in the first place.  I wish some larger agency like the federal government would step in and block Arkansas from stepping away from its duty.  The state government should be punished.  Looking at you, too, Indiana.

Dude, do you understand the concept of federalism? Do you seriously believe a federal agency can do a better job of maintaining Arkansas's highways than a state agency? Furthermore, why is that the business of everyone who doesn't live in or work in Arkansas?
Certain politicians believe in states rights. Until they don't.

MikieTimT

• Last Login: Today at 05:46:05 PM
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »

OT to an extent. Does 49 ( between US 62 up to Bentonville ) have any street or overhead lighting yet? I was always amazed there was none 15 years ago when the area started to Sprawl...

Not a bit, other than on some of the city street overpasses that manage to shine downward onto it.

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 02:52:07 AM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 04:36:35 AM »

Do you seriously believe a federal agency can do a better job of maintaining Arkansas's highways than a state agency?

Yes.
This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 11:32:37 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »

IMO, the problem with Arkansas is the Little Rock region and NWA get the bulk of the attention while other parts of the state are often neglected.  That's putting it in the simplest terms. Also "pet projects" get more attention than what's really needed.

Could federal control change this? I'm uncertain.
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

Road Hog

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »

IMO, the problem with Arkansas is the Little Rock region and NWA get the bulk of the attention while other parts of the state are often neglected.  That's putting it in the simplest terms. Also "pet projects" get more attention than what's really needed.

I'm with you totally. I'm not going to begrudge the two biggest population centers from getting help, because they need capacity more then ever, but let's throw El Dorado and Mountain Home a bone too at least.

M86

• Uff da

• Last Login: Today at 01:15:50 AM
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 12:23:12 AM »

I wish I was more familiar with other parts of Arkansas, but I will say that NWA needed significant upgrades, in terms of capacity. When I lived there, there's no reason why it should take me over 90 minutes to drive from Rogers/Bentonville to Fayetteville, all because of a minor accident on a then 2-lane I-49 (then I-540 when I lived there). The congestion in that area was insane, for a metro of only a half a million people.

I've only driven through Little Rock a few times, but I remember reading something that they have the most Interstate miles per capita of any city in the US. I've tried to find the source, but have never been able to.

That being said, so many state highways in Arkansas have deficiencies. No or narrow shoulders, lack of guard rails, skewed intersections, sight distance issues, poor pavement conditions, poor pavement markings, no roadway lighting. I think it's just a matter of funding and having someone that can make change.

And agree on pet projects. I think so much of this exists with the local leadership and MPOs. You need someone local pushing, for Fort Smith, in your case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.