News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Prior to 1951 (when the Beltline opened), US 12/18 followed existing John Nolen Dr. to Olin Ave., then followed Olin to Park St., followed Park to University Ave., then followed University Ave. out of town (18 departed Park at Regent St., 151 likewise after 1937). Thus, I agree rerouting 151 down the rest of John Nolen wouldn't be a good idea (although I wouldn't mind CTH MC being rerouted off of its short segment of Olin Ave. and redirected to terminate at US 151 at the John Nolen Dr./North Shore Dr. intersection). As I said before, leave 151 on its existing alignment.

triplemultiplex

There's no signage for CTH MC so the point is moot.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 29, 2023, 10:39:10 AM

Did they finally remove that lone reassurance marker? It may actually have been removed awhile ago, but for years they had an old MC marker about halfway between Park and John Nolen that looked like it was installed in the 40s.

The Ghostbuster

I remember a lone CTH MC marker eastbound on Olin Ave. a short distance from the Olin Ave./John Nolen Dr. intersection (there was also an End CTH MC marker at about the same location westbound on Olin Ave.). Those markers have probably been gone about 30 years. I personally thought the MC designation should have continued to Park St., although when it was designated, the point where it began/ended was probably the location of the Madison city limits. There are other county highways that begin/end at a city's boundary (both ends of CTH F in Waukesha County comes to mind).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 29, 2023, 02:55:29 PM
I remember a lone CTH MC marker eastbound on Olin Ave. a short distance from the Olin Ave./John Nolen Dr. intersection (there was also an End CTH MC marker at about the same location westbound on Olin Ave.). Those markers have probably been gone about 30 years. I personally thought the MC designation should have continued to Park St., although when it was designated, the point where it began/ended was probably the location of the Madison city limits. There are other county highways that begin/end at a city's boundary (both ends of CTH F in Waukesha County comes to mind).

30 years? Wow. I could have sworn it was more recent but you are probably correct. 

The Ghostbuster

I was just a kid when CTH MC was signed, but I still remember it vividly.

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 29, 2023, 10:39:10 AM
I assumed the route was decommissioned many years ago. A few maps still mark it other than that I would never have known it ever existed.

The Ghostbuster

CTH MC does still exist: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/travel/road/hwy-maps/county-maps/dane.pdf. It just is unsigned like a lot of county highways are.

peterj920

It's easy to tell in the winter time who maintains John Nolen. When heading south John Nolen gets a lot better after Olin Ave. I'm assuming Dane County takes care of it between Olin and The Beltline. That must be the hidden County MC at work.

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on September 02, 2023, 04:37:41 AM
It's easy to tell in the winter time who maintains John Nolen. When heading south John Nolen gets a lot better after Olin Ave. I'm assuming Dane County takes care of it between Olin and The Beltline. That must be the hidden County MC at work.
I believe this was the old Town of Madison - which is now annexed by the City and the City of Fitchburg (split between)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

peterj920

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 02, 2023, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 02, 2023, 04:37:41 AM
I believe this was the old Town of Madison - which is now annexed by the City and the City of Fitchburg (split between)

Once the Cities of Madison and Fitchburg took over, the Town of Madison street blades at Rusk Ave and Rimrock were changed (blade said County MM). Fitchburg put a sign up on Rimrock in the median right after the interchange with The Beltline.

I do notice that the John Nolen Madison project ends at Olin Ave. Couldn't they figure something out with Dane County to complete the work to The Beltline?

triplemultiplex

Definitely not signed.  That's my 'hood these days so I got eyes on Nolen every couple of days.

That old-ass concrete is giving up the ghost.  About twice a year, they try filling in the giant holes with cold mix, but soon enough, more chunks of concrete pop out.  The curb is littered with fist-sized rocks of concrete.  Makes one wonder how much worse they're going to let it get.

The Ghostbuster

If you're planning on accessing US 12/18 eastbound from Interstates 39/90 in the near future, you'll need to take an alternative route: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/exit-ramps-from-i-39-90-to-u-s-12-18-to-close-for-more-than-month/ar-AA1gi9Lk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6a98cd3b901349c791a2c2a65bd634f7&ei=38. I'm sure everything will open back up once the new interchange at CTH AB is completed.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 05, 2023, 07:11:42 PM
If you're planning on accessing US 12/18 eastbound from Interstates 39/90 in the near future, you'll need to take an alternative route: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/exit-ramps-from-i-39-90-to-u-s-12-18-to-close-for-more-than-month/ar-AA1gi9Lk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6a98cd3b901349c791a2c2a65bd634f7&ei=38. I'm sure everything will open back up once the new interchange at CTH AB is completed.

That detour is going to be absolutely brutal during rush hour.

triplemultiplex

That's a silly detour. If one wants to get east on 12/18 from the south, just take the CTH N exit.  Hopefully people's navigation apps will guide them that way instead of forcing them to slog through the Stoughton Road exit.

thspfc

I assume the recommended detour from 39/90 SB is 94 east to CTH-N?

The Ghostbuster

That's the problem with having the Interstate interchanges being so widely spaced in the Madison area. If one of them is closed, unless you divert to surface streets, it's one hell of a long detour. I'd say detouring to CTH N is probably the best bet for Interstate traffic. Then again, this closing is only for three months, so patience is probably warranted.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2023, 10:22:31 PM
That's the problem with having the Interstate interchanges being so widely spaced in the Madison area. If one of them is closed, unless you divert to surface streets, it's one hell of a long detour. I'd say detouring to CTH N is probably the best bet for Interstate traffic. Then again, this closing is only for three months, so patience is probably warranted.

Right. If you are going SB on I-39/90 and want to go EB on US-12/18, getting off at the Beltline and turning around at Stoughton Road is the shortest option both distance and time-wise.

Quote from: thspfc on September 06, 2023, 09:47:50 PM

I doubt it. That would take forever going through Cottage Grove. It's the exact issue that Ghostbuster is talking about.  The posted detour isn't great, but its the best option available.

If you want to go NB I-39/90 to EB-US-12/18 a County N detour makes more sense since the interstate swings to the east. My guess is that most people would already use that route even without construction though.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2023, 10:22:31 PM

But the trade off is less congestion from merging traffic during peak periods because there are fewer interchanges.
One can see this all the time on the triplex during heavy weekends.  It clogs up at every interchange as traffic merging on tries to squeeze in causing a ripple of brake lights.

I like that 39/90 has few interchanges thru the Madison area.  It keeps a lot of local traffic off of a freeway that should primarily be for thru traffic.  Like the exact opposite of the beltline which is so interchange dense that it clogs at peak times with people only using it for a short distances.  Out east by "the interstate", that traffic uses local roads like it should, instead of mingling with heavy interstate traffic.

The posted detour will be to go west on the Beltline and U-turn at Stoughton Road, which depending on the time of day, it might be better to take N through Cottage Grove.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 07, 2023, 10:38:28 AM

The posted detour will be to go west on the Beltline and U-turn at Stoughton Road, which depending on the time of day, it might be better to take N through Cottage Grove.

If I recall someone saying (so don't shoot me), Wisconsin is not allowed to post state highway detours on non-state highways so that's why you get some of these more oddball/nonsensical detours.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 07, 2023, 02:43:14 PM

If I recall someone saying (so don't shoot me), Wisconsin is not allowed to post state highway detours on non-state highways so that's why you get some of these more oddball/nonsensical detours.

I don't know about being "not allowed." I can say that I have definitely seen county highways as detours before. But it most certainly is rare.

But also this isn't non-sensical. Using Google Maps, the posted detour will be two minutes faster than using I-94 to County N.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 07, 2023, 04:29:38 PM
But also this isn't non-sensical. Using Google Maps, the posted detour will be two minutes faster than using I-94 to County N.

I never said this one was.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 07, 2023, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 07, 2023, 04:29:38 PM

I never said this one was.

I mean...you said "some of these..." so it most certainly seemed to imply you were including this one.

peterj920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 07, 2023, 02:43:14 PM

There was a US 10 detour in Calumet/Manitowoc counties using County PP, County K, and Co
County W. In that part of the state the county roads are built just as well as state highways especially Calumet County.

When US 10 and Wis 32/57 are detoured in that area, county roads are used almost exclusively.

The Ghostbuster

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.