News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

County borders on the Thruway

Started by papaT10932, March 05, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

Does anyone know why county border signs aren't posted on the NYS Thruway? New York is consistent with marking county lines everywhere else. Just wondering...

froggie

NYSDOT and the NYSTA (Thruway Authority) are two different jurisdictions.  For whatever reason, the latter chose not to sign county borders.

Scott5114

It seems like turnpikes are in general rather lax about signing county lines. As far as I know, the Chickasaw Turnpike is the only one in OK that has county line signage (not really an accomplishment because the Chickasaw crosses only one line). I think the NJ Turnpike also lacks county line signage.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr. Matté

On another note, are county line markers really necessary on major highways in the first place?

Scott5114

Absolutely. Different counties have different laws, after all. In Oklahoma, roads default to 55 MPH if not posted, unless the county changes that; for example, in McClain County, all unposted CRs default to 45 MPH. Also different counties have different fine structures, and in OK and TX at least, you send payment to the county clerk's office.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

papaT10932

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2010, 09:16:18 PM
I think the NJ Turnpike also lacks county line signage.

New Jersey lacks county sinage in general. The Garden State Parkway is the only road, that I know of, that marks counties consistently. All other roads are marked with "home-made" signs, as I call them--if they are marked at all.

okroads

It seems like turnpikes are in general rather lax about signing county lines. As far as I know, the Chickasaw Turnpike is the only one in OK that has county line signage (not really an accomplishment because the Chickasaw crosses only one line). I think the NJ Turnpike also lacks county line signage.
The Muskogee-Wagoner county line is signed on the Muskogee Turnpike.

Snappyjack

Once I emailed the Thruway, and their response on the issue was that it would be "distracting" for drivers if they erected county line signs on the highway, an excuse which I find highly ridiculous.

They should at least do something for all the money we all have to needlessly pump into their pockets.. :-P

corco

QuoteOn another note, are county line markers really necessary on major highways in the first place?

If I enter one of those dry counties of Mississippi where possession is prohibited and I have a couple kegs in my trunk that I'm taking from Texas to Alabama, I damn well better have some signage telling me what county I'm entering.

mightyace

Quote from: corco on March 06, 2010, 12:54:01 AM
QuoteOn another note, are county line markers really necessary on major highways in the first place?

If I enter one of those dry counties of Mississippi where possession is prohibited and I have a couple kegs in my trunk that I'm taking from Texas to Alabama, I damn well better have some signage telling me what county I'm entering.

Do the Mississippi county signs say if it's a dry county?  Otherwise, how would you know?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

J N Winkler

County boundaries are signed on the Kansas Turnpike and in Kansas you pay speeding tickets at the county courthouse.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

QuoteDo the Mississippi county signs say if it's a dry county?  Otherwise, how would you know?

No they don't.  And by the book, if you're transporting such liquid, you should know before you do the transporting.

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on March 06, 2010, 07:45:32 AMNo they don't.  And by the book, if you're transporting such liquid, you should know before you do the transporting.

But can they really prohibit transportation of alcoholic beverages so long as the containers remain sealed (push tabs not opened, tax seals left undisturbed, etc.)?  I suspect any attempt to prohibit transport (as opposed to consumption) would run foul of the interstate commerce clause.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

papaT10932

Quote from: Snappyjack on March 06, 2010, 12:33:10 AM
Once I emailed the Thruway, and their response on the issue was that it would be "distracting" for drivers if they erected county line signs on the highway, an excuse which I find highly ridiculous.

They should at least do something for all the money we all have to needlessly pump into their pockets.. :-P

Who do they think we are? Idiots? That's not only a ridiculous response, but its also insulting because its so blatant a lie. Why don't you write them back and tell them that speed limit signs are "distracting"? Or better yet... "Pay toll ahead"... VERY distracting!

froggie

Interstate commerce clauses do not apply here, since Mississippi has a permitting process.  Those with a valid permit are allowed to transport through dry counties.  But if you don't have a permit, you cannot transport through a dry county.

corco

QuoteDo the Mississippi county signs say if it's a dry county?  Otherwise, how would you know?
General rule of thumb I realized driving across Texas- the best indicator of a dry county was that there'd usually be a bar and liquor store right at the adjacent county line. So as soon as you'd enter a dry county you'd pass a bar, and as soon as you'd leave one you'd pass a bar. I'd assume the same holds true in Mississippi

corco

Who do they think we are? Idiots? That's not only a ridiculous response, but its also insulting because its so blatant a lie. Why don't you write them back and tell them that speed limit signs are "distracting"? Or better yet... "Pay toll ahead"... VERY distracting!

And last time I checked, billboards were allowed on the Thruway

froggie

QuoteGeneral rule of thumb I realized driving across Texas- the best indicator of a dry county was that there'd usually be a bar and liquor store right at the adjacent county line. So as soon as you'd enter a dry county you'd pass a bar, and as soon as you'd leave one you'd pass a bar. I'd assume the same holds true in Mississippi

Not really...

corco

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on March 06, 2010, 12:54:01 AM

Are you saying that possession of alcohol is prohibited in Mississippi counties where the sale of alcohol is prohibited?

That's not the case in Kentucky. You are allowed to possess and use alcohol in dry counties here, you just can't buy it legally. There's no law that says you can't buy a case of beer in a wet county and take it to your home in a dry county and drink it there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sammack

Quote from: froggie on March 05, 2010, 08:59:07 PM
NYSDOT and the NYSTA (Thruway Authority) are two different jurisdictions.  For whatever reason, the latter chose not to sign county borders.

NY Thruway and NJ Tpk have never had co line signs and in all likelihood never will.

First off they do not need them.

If you notice there are 2/10 mile markers and that is what they go by.

Traffic summonses on the NJ Tpk are written to the municipal court based on the above mileposting, with the exception of Bergen Co which go to a special county (municipal) court.

Traffic summonses on the thruway are written to the town court based on the 2/10 mileposting.

Continuing, the traffic engineers for both the Thruway Authority and the NJ Tpk feel there are enough signs under their jurisdiction and they do not want any more.

sammack

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 05, 2010, 09:48:24 PM
I think the NJ Turnpike also lacks county line signage.

New Jersey lacks county sinage in general. The Garden State Parkway is the only road, that I know of, that marks counties consistently. All other roads are marked with "home-made" signs, as I call them--if they are marked at all.

You would be correct.  But note the GSP does not sign for municipal boundaries

The municipal boundary line signs are what matters, and that is what people in NJ are interested in.

Several years ago NJDOT let a signing contract that signed all the municipal boundaries on the state hwy system.

Unfortunately, for the most part, co line signing in NJ would be superfluous.

For instance on I-80 wb you go from Wayne, Passaic Co, to Fairfield, Essex Co, to Montville, Morris Co  in maybe 5 miles.

And on 280 do you really want co line signing for Essex/Hudson Cos?  Not really needed.

froggie

QuoteAre you saying that possession of alcohol is prohibited in Mississippi counties where the sale of alcohol is prohibited?

Correct.  I never saw it enforced during my 7 years there, but that is the case.

Sammack:  it's a consistency thing...or in the case of Jersey and the NY Thruway, a lack of consistency (BTW, Thruway has 1/10 milemarkers).

vdeane

IMO all roads should have BOTH 1/10 mileposting and county line signing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Interstate 380 is signed for its short entrance into Wayne County PA and into Lackawanna about 1/10 mile later.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.