Photo Game: Post a Photo that Really Sums Up a State

Started by J3ebrules, July 28, 2019, 10:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3ebrules

I was driving home to South Jersey from Virginia Beach, and was inspired to start this game when I saw a ramshackle building on the side of US 13 advertising, "CHEAP CIGS!"  "FIREWORKS!"  "PEANUTS!"  "GUNS!"  "HAM!"  Etc etc... and thought, "Man... that really sums up what Northerners think of Virginia, all in one place!" . I regretted not snapping a picture, but I later got one that totally works for Delaware.

So! Without further ado... Post a photo that you believe really encapsulates the essence of the state it was taken in! It's all in good fun, so stereotypes of the state (but be nice about the people) are welcome!
Here's my Delaware, summed up in one picture:

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

hotdogPi

Quote from: J3ebrules on July 28, 2019, 10:56:50 PM
I was driving home to South Jersey from Virginia Beach, and was inspired to start this game when I saw a ramshackle building on the side of US 13 advertising, "CHEAP CIGS!"  "FIREWORKS!"  "PEANUTS!"  "GUNS!"  "HAM!"  Etc etc... and thought, "Man... that really sums up what Northerners think of Virginia, all in one place!" . I regretted not snapping a picture, but I later got one that totally works for Delaware.

I don't think of those items when I think of Virginia, although that might be because I associate cigarettes, fireworks, and guns with New Hampshire, a few miles from where I live. (I think that for it to represent Virginia clearly, there must be some mention of either a Civil War-related thing or "this is obviously a suburb of DC".)

There are some things to represent New Hampshire that I know of, such as the things I mentioned earlier, liquor, and huge malls to take advantage of no sales tax, as well as a store known as The Chocolate Moose, but I don't have a single photo of two or more of these or of any of these with mountains, a covered bridge, or a presidential candidate sign.

Interestingly, pretty much nothing is unique to New Hampshire. Moose and lobster are also associated with Maine, covered bridges, mountains, and maple with Vermont, and things that are legal (or cheaper) in New Hampshire but not Massachusetts also apply to several other pairs of states.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

I always thought Virginia was pretty gentrified, what is described in the original post more sounds like a stereotype of West Virginia. 

J3ebrules

Oh, it doesn't have to be UNIQUE to that state. That shack I saw would have been just as comfortable in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia... it definitely had a lowlands feel to it, though.

Hm. When I think of New Hampshire, I think of Libertarians and mountains.

Also, Sad Strip Mall Delaware would totally work for some parts of Jersey.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

wxfree

For a state as large as and with such diverse scenery as Texas, this is difficult.  But I submit this image, showing bluebonnets, cactus, and rusty barbed wire on cedar posts.  I took that photo at a state park during bluebonnet season.  Next year, I need to get a fake western diamondback rattlesnake to put in the photo to make it perfect.

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

J3ebrules

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

The thread made me think of this collection of photos that came across my phone several weeks ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J3ebrules

Quote from: LM117 on July 30, 2019, 01:35:49 PM

Who knew it was the Speed Ticket state? Well I do now. 61 in a 45 zone, and a 96 buck ticket. Wasn't that high when I was going 88 down the NJ Turnpike. Jeez.

kphoger

Quote from: J3ebrules on July 30, 2019, 04:24:02 PM
Wasn't that high when I was going 88 down the NJ Turnpike. Jeez.

You were only a little high, huh?    :D
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J3ebrules

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2019, 04:41:00 PM

Lmfao!! I wish. We will have legal recreational bud sometime soon!!! Stillllll waiting!

hotdogPi

Quote from: J3ebrules on July 30, 2019, 09:21:41 PM

Lmfao!! I wish. We will have legal recreational bud sometime soon!!! Stillllll waiting!

You don't have to wait; just go 88 mph again.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J3ebrules

Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2019, 09:26:21 PM
Quote from: J3ebrules on July 30, 2019, 09:21:41 PM

You don't have to wait; just go 88 mph again.

But the AC in my Delorean isn't working, so I'm scared to go back to the future what with global warming....

MikeTheActuary

MikeTheActuary

It's not a state, but...

...the orange traffic cone has become the unofficial symbol of Montréal.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Verlanka

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on July 30, 2019, 11:07:11 PM
It's not a state, but...

...the orange traffic cone has become the unofficial symbol of Montréal.
Who knew traffic cones would be that high?

J3ebrules

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Stephane Dumas

Not a state but if you remember its appearance in the opening credits of Laverne and Shirley before they moved to California. Milwaukee City Hall summed up the city.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44693739@N07/4107449910/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPrP5DmRVM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.