News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2023, 04:41:49 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 12, 2023, 04:14:12 PM
... I do so fairly often for ... §.

I use it so rarely that it's hard to remember the alt code.  So, instead, I use an easier-to-remember one:  alt+987654321123456789.

And the one for ¶ is just one before it, so...  alt+987654321123456788.

Now you know!   :awesomeface:

I can't believe y'all paid for that OS.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

I use it so rarely that it's hard to remember the alt code.  So, instead, I use an easier-to-remember one:  alt+987654321123456789.

In that time, I can click on the charmap.exe shortcut and find it pretty quickly. Unless I was just looking at Arial Unicode, then I'm doomed to be distracted.

1995hoo

I use those two characters frequently for work purposes, so for MS Word I set up autocorrect entries (which seem to carry over to Outlook as well). ]s gets me § and ]p gets me ¶. I seldom need them in any other software, so doing it that way does the job. Why did I pick those particular character combinations? Because the autocorrect list at a previous employer had those predefined and I got used to them, so I saw no reason to use something different. The only time it's a nuisance is when I alter a word that ends in "s" in a quotation, such as changing "as" to uppercase ("[A]s"), because the software then changes it to a section symbol–but it's easy enough to change it back in that situation.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Another tech one. I can use all kinds of keyboard shortcuts in Excel, but one that I use a lot is filters, and Alt->D->F hasn't worked in probably 4 or 5 versions. Everything else still works the same. Annoying.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2023, 08:24:47 PMI can't believe y'all paid for that OS.

The Compose key is nice, but I understand not all Unix-derived OSes have it--there are apparently several where users are stuck entering Unicode codepoints in hex (the equivalent of Alt+NumLock).  And there is at least one freeware Compose key implementation for Windows.

A related problem is different codepoints for the same letter in a given language, due to mistakes made drawing up earlier versions of the Unicode standard.  This has not been a problem for any languages that use Western Latin characters, as far as I know, but it has been in Romanian, where the comma diacritic used with s and c has long been rendered using a cedilla.  I think Hungarian may have a similar issue with the umlaut being used instead of the double acute accent, as in the name Paul Erdős.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ZLoth

For the second time in as many weeks (April 7th at 6:25 AM, April 14th at 6:05 AM), I placed a breakfast order online through the mobile app. This was after the advertised open time of 6 AM, yet, while the signs were on, both the dining room and the kitchen were dark. Burger King promptly issued a refund.

Somewhat related.... my mother and I went to a local Applebees on Sunday, March 19th. Despite most of the restaurant being almost empty, it took us 20 minutes to get seated. Turns out that only one waitress showed up to work that shift, thus only her section was open.  :-( Who do you blame at that point?
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ZLoth on April 14, 2023, 10:32:57 AM
Somewhat related.... my mother and I went to a local Applebees on Sunday, March 19th. Despite most of the restaurant being almost empty, it took us 20 minutes to get seated. Turns out that only one waitress showed up to work that shift, thus only her section was open.  :-( Who do you blame at that point?

Management who are unable to create a work culture that makes people want to work there.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2023, 10:45:56 AM

Management who are unable to create a work culture that makes people want to work there.

Makes you wonder if the manager was on site to help out.  If so, then what role was the manager filling?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2023, 10:45:56 AM

Makes you wonder if the manager was on site to help out.  If so, then what role was the manager filling?
I'm sure a manager was there, but you'd have to go higher than them to get to whoever was making decisions on quality of life for employees.

kphoger

What I mean is... why wasn't the manager picking up the slack for the missing waitress?  Was the manager at another location? off work that day? helping in the kitchen?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 04:19:55 PM
What I mean is... why wasn't the manager picking up the slack for the missing waitress?  Was the manager at another location? off work that day? helping in the kitchen?

Likely cooking. If they have problems in the front of house, it's assuredly worse in the back of the house where they make less money.

roadman65

The word ill now is defaulted to I'll by autocorrect.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Max Rockatansky

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2023, 10:45:56 AMManagement who are unable to create a work culture that makes people want to work there.

The manager was definitely helping out and apologized for the situation. The other servers were "no-shows".

kphoger

So... helping the one server cover the one area?  That seems less than ideal.  Then again, I've never worked in a restaurant.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Graveyard shift is much needed as most Dennys, IHOPs, and other 24/7 eateries usually hire one server, and it's tough especially after 2 am when the bars close and everyone comes in because they don't want to turn in yet.

Plus no one wants to work that shift so restaurants hire those with mental illnesses or spectrums out of desperation cause normal health people refuse as they can get other positions or shifts.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2023, 04:25:12 PM
Well, our printer finally bit the dust yesterday anyway.  In its place, we bought an Epson EcoTank, with refillable ink.  I think it's a model ET-2850.
The printer at my house is an HP Office Jet Pro 8710. The top cover boasts that it Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, Web. It no longer scans, at least not for converting into computer files.

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2023, 05:20:04 PM
The word ill now is defaulted to I'll by autocorrect.

autocorrect is sickening.

hotdogPi

It just corrected Ignaz to Ignacio less than five minutes ago.

Intended: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Friedman
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ZLoth

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2023, 06:48:51 PMGraveyard shift is much needed as most Dennys, IHOPs, and other 24/7 eateries usually hire one server, and it's tough especially after 2 am when the bars close and everyone comes in because they don't want to turn in yet.

Plus no one wants to work that shift so restaurants hire those with mental illnesses or spectrums out of desperation cause normal health people refuse as they can get other positions or shifts.

Graveyard/overnight is tough to fill for most industries, not just food service. Having done three rounds of it (June-August 2010, August-December 2011, then November 2013-June 2019 under less than ideal circumstances) for technical support, I can attest to the fact on how it challenges both your social life and the effects it has on your physical health. I also well aware of the common practice of hospitals putting the new nurses with no seniority on the overnight shift as well. At least I had a shift differential (15% additional on top of one's regular pay) which I used to pay off my debts and stash away in savings. The other person I worked with on graveyard would never work a holiday, so I ended up getting holiday pay as well. And, yes, once or twice, I stopped by McDonalds on the way home to order a quarter pounder meal (no pickles and onions), only to be told that they are serving breakfast

There are gamers who like to modify games to make them more difficult. My move from California to Texas had extra challenges as I received the approval for job relocation the day before Thanksgiving and I had to be out in Texas in mid-January and I remained on graveyard shift during that move as well.

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 14, 2023, 07:49:23 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2023, 04:25:12 PM
Well, our printer finally bit the dust yesterday anyway.  In its place, we bought an Epson EcoTank, with refillable ink.  I think it's a model ET-2850.

The printer at my house is an HP Office Jet Pro 8710. The top cover boasts that it Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, Web. It no longer scans, at least not for converting into computer files.

It wouldn't feed paper anymore.  Something there broke, and we couldn't figure out what it was.  Considering that we already had a love-hate relationship with the thing, it didn't take long for us to consider the dust-biting a blessing rather than a curse.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

That all men's shower gel smells the same. It doesn't matter if it says Ocean Waves, Irish Spring, or Steaming Dog Pile on it. It all smells the same. It's why I normally buy women's gels.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

The phrases "so true" and "just saying".

If a statement is true, what could make it to be more or "so true"? Just say you agree.

If you just said something, why do I need to know you just said it? Although I do realize someone usually says "just saying" when they're trying to be sarcastic or condescending.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 16, 2023, 04:59:52 PM
The phrases "so true" and "just saying".

If a statement is true, what could make it to be more or "so true"? Just say you agree.

If you just said something, why do I need to know you just said it? Although I do realize someone usually says "just saying" when they're trying to be sarcastic or condescending.

So true. Just saying.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.