News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 25, 2020, 07:09:20 PM
How are we doing?

I can't speak for you.

I swear this comes from people complaining. I bet if that server said how are you doing, someone at the table is bound to say why are you only speaking to him? Are you not asking me because I'm a woman/man/young/old/race etc.

US71

I'm bothered by people who say I will burn in Hell if I don't support a particular candidate or political issue.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2020, 10:21:49 AM
I'm bothered by people who say I will burn in Hell if I don't support a particular candidate or political issue.

Wouldn't it be more scathing to tell people they'll freeze in the Ninth Circle of Hell or is that too much Dante's Inferno for those types?

But then again it was good enough for Mr. Freeze to tell Batman:

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
... they'll freeze in the Ninth Circle of Hell ...

Not with global warming.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on January 26, 2020, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
... they'll freeze in the Ninth Circle of Hell ...

Not with global warming.

I'd imagine that if Hell has a solid frozen lake at the bottom of it that they have climate control mastered with all those nearby perpetual lakes of liquid hot magma nearby.

tchafe1978

One thing that bothers me to no end is people who can't close a cabinet or closet door after they are done in the cabinet or closet. My wife and daughters are great at leaving all the doors open. Especially the one closet door that if left open, blocks the door to our bedroom. I'll call my daughter over and ask her how I'm supposed to get into my bedroom with the closet door open. It still hasn't sunk in yet to close it.

DaBigE

People who leave the microwave with [cooking] time left on it. It isn't a parking meter -- your 9 seconds gives me no benefit.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on January 26, 2020, 04:29:58 PM
People who leave the microwave with [cooking] time left on it. It isn't a parking meter -- your 9 seconds gives me no benefit.

Conversely the noise from the timer expiring is annoying enough that I'll always try to open it before it goes off. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2020, 04:36:32 PM

Conversely the noise from the timer expiring is annoying enough that I'll always try to open it before it goes off. 
much less the occasional beep that has to go off until you open the door.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Heh. I try to time the toaster oven and microwave so they both beep at the same time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

Conversely the noise from the timer expiring is annoying enough that I’ll always try to open it before it goes off. 

Sometimes I wake up before my alarm clock and am happy that I don't have to hear it

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 26, 2020, 09:43:30 PM

Sometimes I wake up before my alarm clock and am happy that I don't have to hear it

You use your microwave as an alarm clock??😲😲😲

😉¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

OracleUsr

Quote from: vdeane on January 24, 2020, 09:36:15 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 24, 2020, 07:44:21 PM
Quote from: roadman on January 24, 2020, 01:50:21 PM
Which is precisely why most building codes now require smoke detectors to be hard-wired into the electrical system.  Because many people were injured or killed because someone decided - for whatever reason - to remove the battery from the smoke detector.  Hard wiring also means that when one detector goes off, they all go off.  Personally, I find it reassuring that if a fire were to start in the basement, I would be warned about it before it reached the smoke detector outside my bedroom.

How does that help during power outages?
That's what the battery is for.  I do wonder, though - with a hard-wired detector, what does someone do if it's set off by burnt cooking?

That happened one Christmas with my mother and me.  She had just moved into a new house and I went to visit her, so she baked a chicken.  Every one of the detectors went off when the oil from the baking hit the gas flame and started smoking like crazy.  We had to hide in the attic to avoid the noise and just wait it out.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2020, 01:17:51 PM
I am moderately bothered when people ask me what I do for work as basically the only question they ask me.  That is, they seem to think that's what defines me as a person.

However, I am also moderately bothered when people ask me some other question in order to purposefully avoid doing that exact thing—such as "what do you like to do for fun".

I guess they can't win.

Nope, I'm pretty much the same way when it comes to profession. I think when I was younger and a little less financially secure, there was a tendency to judge or feel as one is being judged. I don't mind being asked what I like to do...though I'm not going to leap off the deep end: I HAVE TEN THOUSAND PHOTOS OF ROAD SIGNS, I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM TOO!

But if you're talking with someone for a long enough time (airplane rides are good/bad for that), the subject comes up because of similarities in travel. I also feel a little sharper and wiser in dealing with a negative comment or criticism, coupled with a pretty good sense of wisdom and self-effacement. I don't mind it, at least a few times a year, someone sitting next to me is looking at my photos, and mentioned how they recognized this place or that...

texaskdog

People who never carry any cash.  What's wrong with $20 in pocket money just in case?

1995hoo

Quote from: texaskdog on January 27, 2020, 08:24:36 AM
People who never carry any cash.  What's wrong with $20 in pocket money just in case?

I don't care about people not carrying cash, but I find the attitude some of them cop (acting like it's some sort of outrage when cash is required) to be annoying, like the rest of the world should somehow protect them from their own irresponsibility. A few years ago, the subway here in DC stopped allowing people to exit the system with a negative balance on the SmarTrip card–instead, you have to add some money at the Exitfare machines, and those machines only accept cash (smaller bills, I think up to a $10). The change was pretty well-publicized at the time, yet some local commuters–mostly 20-somethings, of course–cried and bleated, "I don't carry cash. This is unacceptable. Blah blah blah." I didn't, and still don't, have a lot of sympathy because they weren't whining that they got stuck in the system trying to exit–they were whining in advance about the theoretical possibility of getting stuck. I don't find a lot of credibility in that argument because they had been told about the new policy and clearly understood it, so it would not be at all difficult to be prepared to comply (either by just ensuring you never hit a negative balance or by keeping $5 or $10 on you when you ride the subway). Of course I can understand why tourists, and even local residents who seldom ride the subway, might get caught out by the policy, especially if they bought their fares based on non—rush hour travel but then they wound up riding at rush hour and having to pay the higher fares. But for commuters, there's really no excuse.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

I am annoyed by people who carry cash.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DaBigE

Places that don't accept bills higher than $20.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

formulanone

Quote from: DaBigE on January 27, 2020, 09:38:51 AM

Places that can't make change for a $20 for a $14 purchase. Go to a bank before attempting to be a profit-making enterprise.

Likewise, places that request minimum amounts (say, over $5) for using a credit card. You're a convenience store with 80-250% markup from cost.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:00:54 AM

Places that can't make change for a $20 for a $14 purchase. Go to a bank before attempting to be a profit-making enterprise.

Likewise, places that request minimum amounts (say, over $5) for using a credit card. You're a convenience store with 80-250% markup from cost.

Interestingly those credit card usage fees imposed on retails are pretty high, something in the neighborhood of 3% for credit and 1% for debit on every transaction.  That's why large stores were so pushy with in-house credit cards for so many years, they can save themselves a ton of money not paying merchant fees.  Usually it's Mom and Pop type convenience stores that still do the credit fee for low purchase amounts. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2020, 10:23:51 AM

Interestingly those credit card usage fees imposed on retails are pretty high, something in the neighborhood of 3% for credit and 1% for debit on every transaction.  That's why large stores were so pushy with in-house credit cards for so many years, they can save themselves a ton of money not paying merchant fees.  Usually it's Mom and Pop type convenience stores that still do the credit fee for low purchase amounts. 

I can understand wanting to avoid a set fee and 3% on a 79 cent candy bar. But with most convenience stores having a steep markup, it's ridiculous to refuse it on a $7-8 purchase.

roadman

Convenience store and fast food clerks who can't figure out the right change to give me when I hand them a twenty and a one for a $10.80 purchase.  Most of them will try to hand me the dollar bill back.

Clerks who give change by placing the coins on top of the bills instead of handing me the coins first, and then the bills.

QuotePlaces that can't make change for a $20 for a $14 purchase. Go to a bank before attempting to be a profit-making enterprise

Or places that, when you (for example) hand them $2.00 for a $1.49 bottle of water, they hand you two quarters back but not the penny unless you point it out to them.  If you can't be bothered with dealing in pennies, then just price the water at $1.50.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on January 27, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
Convenience store and fast food clerks who can't figure out the right change to give me when I hand them a twenty and a one for a $10.80 purchase.

Clerks who give change by placing the coins on top of the bills instead of handing me the coins first, and then the bills.

Yes on both.

texaskdog

The term "frontman".  I was listening to a podcast and there is a band introducing themselves and the one guy says "frontman".  Funny because he sings & plays guitar.  Makes it sounds like he just stands there looking good.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2020, 10:23:51 AM

I can understand wanting to avoid a set fee and 3% on a 79 cent candy bar. But with most convenience stores having a steep markup, it's ridiculous to refuse it on a $7-8 purchase.

Oddly I've found a lot of rural stores won't even let you buy something on a card unless it's over $3-$5 dollars.  I suppose that's nominally better than the service fee but it still doesn't encourage me to buy more things that I don't need.  I still occasionally run into a McDonalds that charged a credit/debit fee. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.