News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on February 12, 2020, 02:26:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2020, 01:33:12 PM
The DC Metro should be the "Federal Area Rapid Transit."

Wah-mah-ta.  That is how people pronounce WMATA.

Yes, I know, but the scatalogical value of the name I suggested is more entertaining.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2020, 02:34:03 PM
Quote from: Beltway on February 12, 2020, 02:26:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2020, 01:33:12 PM
The DC Metro should be the "Federal Area Rapid Transit."
Wah-mah-ta.  That is how people pronounce WMATA.
Yes, I know, but the scatalogical value of the name I suggested is more entertaining.
https://www.shortbusrides.com/

Founded in September of 2009, Foothill Area Rapid Transit was created to fill a need in the Greater Sacramento Area for an alternative to traditional Limousine services.  The Short Bus is a fun and economical solution that specializes in making every trip a memorable occasion.

Whether you're looking to take a wine tour with friends, or you're hosting a party for your favorite bachelor.   You'll have a gas with F.A.R.T.   You get twice the fun of a limo with features including bar stocked w/glasses, leather seating, a 32″ HD TV/DVD player, PS3, Rock Band 2, satellite stereo and CD player, and a maximum capacity of 14 .

Every trip is a memorable occasion, on Sacramento's #1 Party Bus!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

renegade

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
So, this is what I saw on my way into the grocery store yesterday.  Can you guess why I thought of this thread?

Actually, this was on my way back out of the store.  It was slightly better on the way in.  It might not be apparent in the picture, but the entire mess was due to the fact that two (yes, only two!) carts were left side-by-side but at a diagonal in the middle of the corral.  Rather than straighten those two carts out to form lines, the third shopper just rammed his or her cart against the rail behind them, and then not a single shopper after that could be bothered to do any better.

Looks like someone hasn't been out to do their job for awhile.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

dvferyance

Illogical highway routing and endpoints I know that shouldn't bother anyone but for whatever reason it bother me. I wish I could make some changes to make things more logical.

KEVIN_224

At least those in greater Boston only say "T" and not "Mib-Tah" (MBTA). "Piv-Tah" would sound even worse in greater Springfield, MA. (PVTA - Pioneer Valley Transit Authority)

hotdogPi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 12, 2020, 07:32:55 PM
At least those in greater Boston only say "T" and not "Mib-Tah" (MBTA). "Piv-Tah" would sound even worse in greater Springfield, MA. (PVTA - Pioneer Valley Transit Authority)

I've never heard MBTA pronounced as if it was a word. (In common speech, "MBTA" refers to the company itself, not the trains and buses.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

texaskdog

Bands that had a following at one point and play a concert and play primarily new stuff. A few songs are fun but that's not what people are paying to see.

DaBigE

Online articles that state how long it should take you to read it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

Quote from: DaBigE on February 12, 2020, 11:55:05 PM
1 second read.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GaryV

You need to treat that like a challenge.  "Naw, I can read it much faster than that."  Kind of how I like to try to beat the Google Maps lady when she says it will take me 47 minutes to get to my destination.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on February 13, 2020, 10:15:27 AM

You need to treat that like a challenge.  "Naw, I can read it much faster than that."  Kind of how I like to try to beat the Google Maps lady when she says it will take me 47 minutes to get to my destination.

A lot of training guides and videos have the same thing.  For the most part I've found you can usually get through the information well before the specified timeframe.  That said, the NSC Defensive Driving Course...they are damn serous when they say four hours...

Rothman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 12, 2020, 07:32:55 PM
Out of state Five College students have been known to call it the Piv-Tah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rushmeister

So, this is what I saw on my way into the grocery store yesterday.  Can you guess why I thought of this thread?

Actually, this was on my way back out of the store.  It was slightly better on the way in.  It might not be apparent in the picture, but the entire mess was due to the fact that two (yes, only two!) carts were left side-by-side but at a diagonal in the middle of the corral.  Rather than straighten those two carts out to form lines, the third shopper just rammed his or her cart against the rail behind them, and then not a single shopper after that could be bothered to do any better.

Zipper merge malfunction?
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

kphoger

Quote from: renegade on February 12, 2020, 06:11:49 PM

Looks like someone hasn't been out to do their job for awhile.

Actually...  For around 4:40 pm at a busy grocery store, that's not necessarily a huge number of carts.  If they were lined up two abreast all the way in the corral, the lines wouldn't even extend past the end of the rails.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2020, 01:06:05 PMActually...  For around 4:40 pm at a busy grocery store, that's not necessarily a huge number of carts.  If they were lined up two abreast all the way in the corral, the lines wouldn't even extend past the end of the rails.

Central and Rock?  From my perspective, the fact this is on the northeast side of town is all the explanation one needs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Speaking of things that bother me ... those creepy-ass Kroger figurines. Yeesh. Fred Meyer (PNW chain owned by Kroger) adopted them as part of their branding...I'm gonna have to pass.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 13, 2020, 02:15:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2020, 01:06:05 PM
Actually...  For around 4:40 pm at a busy grocery store, that's not necessarily a huge number of carts.  If they were lined up two abreast all the way in the corral, the lines wouldn't even extend past the end of the rails.

Central and Rock?  From my perspective, the fact this is on the northeast side of town is all the explanation one needs.

Yes.  What we affectionately refer to as "the Gucci Dillon's".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on February 05, 2020, 08:37:08 PM
People who don't put carts into the corral neatly.  It's amazing how many times I'll put a cart away in one that's "full" but which magically gains room for double the amount of carts when I fix it (yeah, it bothers me so much that I actually take the time to organize them into a row of small carts and a row of big carts).

Here was the scene at Wegmans last night.  :angry:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Holy cow, your cart corrals look nicer than some train platforms!
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

The lack of sugar cane in soda state side.  I've been down in Mexico all week and taking advantage of all the Coke/Fanta products at every corner store has been nice.  Corn syrup just doesn't taste the same to me. 

Big John

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 17, 2020, 01:56:11 PM
The lack of sugar cane in soda state side.  I've been down in Mexico all week and taking advantage of all the Coke/Fanta products at every corner store has been nice.  Corn syrup just doesn't taste the same to me. 
I have seen Mexican Coke and a few other Mexican sodas in the states.  You may have to do some searching in order to find those.

kphoger

Do I remember correctly, that plastic bottles in Mexico have switched to corn syrup?
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on February 17, 2020, 02:02:57 PM
I have seen Mexican Coke and a few other Mexican sodas in the states.  You may have to do some searching in order to find those.

Yeah, like, go down the Mexican foods aisle instead of the regular pop aisle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes but those are tiny little bottles good for one serving. 

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2020, 02:13:51 PM

Do I remember correctly, that plastic bottles in Mexico have switched to corn syrup?

They have, the glass bottles are still sugar cane.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 17, 2020, 03:03:19 PM
Yes but those are tiny little bottles good for one serving. 

At least at the main grocery stores around here, Mexican Coca-Cola is sold in 355ml glass bottles, which is three-fifths of a 20oz plastic bottle.  In order to find the half-liter glass bottles of Mexican Coca-Cola, I have to go to a Mexican grocery store (there is one fairly close to my house);  that's about 85% of a 20oz plastic bottle and is plenty of soda.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.