News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 10:52:11 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 04, 2020, 01:53:06 AM
Ultimate scenario:  How many times have you seen a vehicle being driven partially or fully on the inside right shoulder of a cloverleaf ramp because the driver can't stay in the traffic lane around the curve?

You think people do that accidentally?  I don't think so.  People cut the corner off curves on purpose, generally.  It allows them to accelerate sooner when they come out of the turn.

Here's an example of exactly that, but at a roundabout.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

sparker

Ultimate scenario:  How many times have you seen a vehicle being driven partially or fully on the inside right shoulder of a cloverleaf ramp because the driver can't stay in the traffic lane around the curve?

You think people do that accidentally?  I don't think so.  People cut the corner off curves on purpose, generally.  It allows them to accelerate sooner when they come out of the turn.

S.O.P. on race tracks unless specifically prohibited.  I do it on a regular basis on cloverleaf/parclo loops if they've been configured with (a) an unusually small radius to begin with or (b) a changing -- usually diminishing -- radius (more common than one would imagine here in Caltrans D4 -- they've even acknowleged this with signage on a few extreme situations, such as the loop from SB I-880 to SB US 101).     

Max Rockatansky

Leaving for trips behind schedule, even by car. 

hbelkins

Current slang: "Tryna" for "trying to."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I can't say I'm a fan of the saying "be safe"  or "we are in a new normal."   Both seem kind of dramatic to be used in regular speech like they are now.  Early in the pandemic people were missing "shelter in place"  when they really meant "stay at home."  

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2020, 10:53:08 PM
"we are in a new normal."

Everyone using this phrase is criticizing it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2020, 05:53:33 AM
"we are in a new normal."

Everyone using this phrase is criticizing it.

I could be wrong but it seems to have popped up on TV commercials first or at least that's where it gained traction. 

formulanone

Guilty as charged.

1) usually the cloverleaf/ramp is an imperfect arc

2) racing line is how one accelerates sooner to merge into or with traffic, based on the dynamics and weight transfer of a vehicle in motion

Try these techniques next time you're on the dance floor:

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2020, 09:01:38 PM

I don't think this is current slang as much as it is African-American English that has started getting usage outside of that linguistic community. I don't use it in text, but it doesn't bother me too much since it's a logical contraction of two words commonly used together, like gonna. And like gonna, that's basically how it ends up being pronounced by everyone when they say it out loud anyway, unless they're making a point to enunciate the difference between the two words, which just comes off like having a stick up your butt.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2020, 02:05:20 PM

I don't think this is current slang as much as it is African-American English that has started getting usage outside of that linguistic community. I don't use it in text, but it doesn't bother me too much since it's a logical contraction of two words commonly used together, like gonna. And like gonna, that's basically how it ends up being pronounced by everyone when they say it out loud anyway, unless they're making a point to enunciate the difference between the two words, which just comes off like having a stick up your butt.

I always found it odd that the Beatles song is listed on the album sleeve as "You're Going to Lose That Girl," since they definitely do not pronounce it that way when they sing it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2020, 02:05:20 PM

Related: "Imma" for "I'm going to," or "I'm gonna."  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

^^^^

I've even seen some people write "Imma gonna ..." Thankfully, I've never heard anyone say that.

Alps

What, you prefer "fixin ta"? I dunno, and I use "I'mma" quite a bit myself. But yeah, everyone has turns of phrases that really annoy them. Mine is people who omit the words "to be" before a verb. "This car needs to be fixed", or "This car needs fixing" are your two choices.

1995hoo

This was posted on a neighborhood forum. I assume the misspelled word will be obvious. I don't know whether the lady who posted it simply made a typo or whether she thought that spelling is correct.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2020, 09:50:48 PM
This was posted on a neighborhood forum. I assume the misspelled word will be obvious. I don't know whether the lady who posted it simply made a typo or whether she thought that spelling is correct.

Peace and tranquility?...ask Jennifer Connelly how that worked out when Davie Bowie was lurking about in the background.  Maybe Theseus would have a more favorable opinion?

bugo

Quote from: texaskdog on February 12, 2020, 07:44:25 PM
Bands that had a following at one point and play a concert and play primarily new stuff. A few songs are fun but that's not what people are paying to see.

You obviously don't understand what being an artist is all about.

bugo

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 22, 2020, 11:33:56 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 10:54:41 PMFeeling thirsty right after I wake up

Needing to go to the bathroom while in bed when I just want to keep sleeping

These annoy me too.  I generally drink a tall glass of water an hour and a half to two hours before bed, so that any urge to urinate can be satisfied just before I go to sleep.

Needing to go while sleeping is not always a matter of a full bladder--especially in the winter, it can be a sign your bedroom is too cold.

I hate it when I wake up with heartburn. I just want to go back to sleep, but it is hard to ignore sometimes.

JoePCool14

I can't say I'm a fan of the saying "be safe"  or "we are in a new normal."   Both seem kind of dramatic to be used in regular speech like they are now.  Early in the pandemic people were missing "shelter in place"  when they really meant "stay at home."  

:spin: "We're all in this together." :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

texaskdog

You're coming home and ready to get out of the car and someone takes several minutes to get out, like they didn't know you were almost home to gather their stuff together.  I have to stand for 2 minutes and wait for them to get out.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 07, 2020, 04:00:05 PM

Robin Meade was full of shit, we are all alone. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2020, 09:34:37 AM

Guilty as charged.

1) usually the cloverleaf/ramp is an imperfect arc

2) racing line is how one accelerates sooner to merge into or with traffic, based on the dynamics and weight transfer of a vehicle in motion

Try these techniques next time you're on the dance floor:

All this notwithstanding, people not staying in the lines on loop ramps is definitely a minor thing that annoys me.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Just loop ramps? I have absolutely no qualms about cutting across the line if the curve is striped incorrectly and the advisory speed is too low. In this Street View image, for example, I do exactly what that SUV driver is doing, and just about everybody else does as well: https://goo.gl/maps/CHTo6BXRBcjGX8kv9  The ramp is just plain striped so as to make the turn unnecessarily wide. (I have never seen either a pedestrian or a cyclist crossing there.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 07, 2020, 08:29:50 PM
Just loop ramps? I have absolutely no qualms about cutting across the line if the curve is striped incorrectly and the advisory speed is too low.

Why are you annoying me with this minor thing?  :spin:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 07, 2020, 04:00:05 PM
I can’t say I’m a fan of the saying “be safe” or “we are in a new normal.”  Both seem kind of dramatic to be used in regular speech like they are now.  Early in the pandemic people were missing “shelter in place” when they really meant “stay at home.”

Robin Meade

I remember watching HLN and they can't go one commercial break without pushing that Robin Meade show.  Frankly I don't know what the appeal to morning news is, I used to watch Saved by the Bell in the mornings.

jakeroot

I routinely drive over both dashed and solid lines to maintain speed. I don't see why it matters if there is no clear danger to either other drivers or people stopped on the road.

Good example: when I lived in Puyallup, WA, I took this corner quite fast because it was a steep on-ramp that approached a very steep incline of WA-512. I would take the apex of the first right turn, and then drive to the left of the yellow line in the distance to reduce how much slowing had to occur. I usually could take this right turn in third gear, unlike most turns which require me to downshift into second, simply because I was able to maintain about 30mph around that corner.

At the next interchange to the northeast, the on-ramp loop's fog line is routinely ignored by drivers, and is always very faded. Some people are far enough off the 'roadway' that their entire car is to the right of the fog line.

Another off-ramp from I-5 to S 38 St in Tacoma has been clipped so many times, the fog line is just gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.