News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2020, 05:45:27 AM
At the next interchange to the northeast, the on-ramp loop's fog line is routinely ignored by drivers, and is always very faded. Some people are far enough off the 'roadway' that their entire car is to the right of the fog line.

Another off-ramp from I-5 to S 38 St in Tacoma has been clipped so many times, the fog line is just gone.

I figured out what you meant from the context, but I had never seen/heard the term "fog line" until this post.
Absent any context, I would have thought it was some sort of weather-related terminology.

Verlanka

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 07, 2020, 08:35:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 07, 2020, 08:29:50 PM
Just loop ramps? I have absolutely no qualms about cutting across the line if the curve is striped incorrectly and the advisory speed is too low.

Why are you annoying me with this minor thing?  :spin:
It's "Minor things that bother you," remember?

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 07, 2020, 04:00:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2020, 10:53:08 PM
I can't say I'm a fan of the saying "be safe"  or "we are in a new normal."   Both seem kind of dramatic to be used in regular speech like they are now.  Early in the pandemic people were missing "shelter in place"  when they really meant "stay at home."  
:spin: "We're all in this together." :spin:

Robin Meade was full of shit, we are all alone. 

We're actually all alone together.

"New normal" has been circulating as a catchphrase for several years now, so it really doesn't bother me much. But like all catchphrases, they're overused to the point of sounding like an easy excuse (even if it isn't).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 10:01:07 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 07, 2020, 04:00:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2020, 10:53:08 PM
I can't say I'm a fan of the saying "be safe"  or "we are in a new normal."   Both seem kind of dramatic to be used in regular speech like they are now.  Early in the pandemic people were missing "shelter in place"  when they really meant "stay at home."  
:spin: "We're all in this together." :spin:

Robin Meade was full of shit, we are all alone. 

We're actually all alone together.

"New normal" has been circulating as a catchphrase for several years now, so it really doesn't bother me much. But like all catchphrases, they're overused to the point of sounding like an easy excuse (even if it isn't).

Who was saying it before all this virus stuff? 

To that end I do find it odd that people now say "be safe"  as something of a replacement to "goodbye.  The first couple times I heard it I almost took it as a critique that I wasn't living a safe lifestyle. 

ethanhopkin14

Pronouncing the "T" in often.

Bad use of 's in regards to possession vs. plural.  Sorry guys, its 3dis, not 3di's.

Using a word to describe an acronym in which that acronym has that word in it.  Its not a ATM machine or a VIN number.  the M and the N stand for machine and number respectively.

I am not necessarily against hip lingo, but what drives me nuts is when a word or phrase catches on, everyone acts like its been around forever.  There wasn't Taco Tuesday years ago, the term old school wasn't around in the 80s, you didn't refer to something being huge or for the record books as epic even 15 years ago and gymormous is not only stupid, but a new term.  I am mainly aiming this to people my age.  Don't pick up these old terms and lets all talk how we did in the 80s, except Rad, don't say that.

A movie that is a period piece, but not that old of a period piece (takes place from 1960- about 5 years ago) and a complete disregard to how things operated in that timeframe (i.e. using lingo that's much newer than the timeframe  or muted colors on the clothing because that is what is popular now.  There was some bad colors and hairstyles in the 70s and 80s and it should be celebrated.  Making things look less 70s-80s takes me out of the movie).

Also, in regards to period pieces, having things in the movies that were invented or came out that year.  This also applies to people recollections.  A good example, a movie taking place in November of 1983 could have everyone wearing a Walkman, watching laser discs, wearing the trendiest of clothes, listening to the #1 hit of that week the movie takes place and driving 1984 model cars.  The reality was walkmans were just invented in 1983, and like many things, didn't become popular until the late 80s because the normal person had to wait until they were more affordable. Laser Discs were invented in the late 70s, but took until the 90s for people to start buying them and even then they never caught on.  The average person couldn't afford the newest trendiest clothes, and if they could, they wouldn't in 1983 because that was before gross consumerism.  That was the days of "$100 for sneakers?  if they don't walk for you, you aren't getting them."  Even though a hit song would be on the radio for that movie's time period, the reality is songs didn't get way popular until after their highest charting position, because, just like the fashion, information wasn't instantaneous as it is today.  In your circle you knew one person who was up on the latest of everything, and even that person would be several weeks behind because it took a while for that information to get to them because it came by magazine.  Lastly, I hate it when every car is the year model or the next year model of the timeframe.  It makes it look like everyone went out and bought a brand new car at the same time.  You wouldn't see that now, much less in an older time when the average person would go 10-15 years before they bought a new car.

Using 555 as the prefix for a number in a movie.  Everyone knows that's a fake number, so it takes me out of the movie.

Everyone saying "how did we live without _______."  Usually that _____ is smartphones.  Like we did everything else, we didn't know any better and we just went thought our lives.  Did everyone just forget?

I also cannot stand small talk and corporate speak.  "Work flow" and "utilization" are the ones on top of the list.

Social Distancing.  Why couldn't we say, stay away from people.  Why did we have to invent a word?

Just like that, everything has to have a term now days.  We can't do anything without calling it something.

The internet lets things get to every corner of the world, and Amazon helps us order anything we can think up.  I miss the days when you played baseball as a youngster and saw a player wearing eyeblack, and you had to improvise with shoe polish because no one in town sold it.  Like a lot of things, if you couldn't find it at a store, you just missed out.  There were a lot of things that were only available to professional athletes, and I liked it better that way.  Now you have high school football teams with better uniforms than the pros.

TV shows used to come on on a specific day of the week at a specific time.  Now with Netflix, you can binge watch.  Its great, but I missed the days when if you missed that day and time, you missed it, and you had to wait years for it to run in re-runs to finally see what your friends have been talking about.  Taking that away has been a pet peeve.

Fake grammar Nazis who just want to gripe about people misusing your and you're.  It drives me crazy too, but there are more egregious grammar errors out there than that.  Come on, that's a lay up. 

And starting sentences with prepositions.

ethanhopkin14

I am on a four lane expressway type highway (two in each direction) with a minor road intersecting.  I am all alone on the road in the left lane and there is a guy in the intersecting road at the stop sign.  He waits and waits and waits, then pulls out onto the road when I am almost at the intersection, goes all the way across to get to the left lane, pulling out in front of me, and can't find his accelerator.

Flat billed baseball caps.

Families who all look the same.  Dude in is cargo shorts, flip flops, a bit overweight in his wicking polo with a Costa Del Mar hat.  Woman in navy tank top and black yoga pants and they are in an  F150. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 02:03:42 PM
Bad use of 's in regards to possession vs. plural.  Sorry guys, it's 3dis, not 3di's.

FTFY. :)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 08, 2020, 02:32:13 PM
Bad use of 's in regards to possession vs. plural.  Sorry guys, it's 3dis, not 3di's.

Not possessive.

Scott5114

gymormous is not only stupid, but a new term.

ginormous = giant + enormous. It's just a portmanteau like "driveway" or "nightstand". You'll be fine.

Using 555 as the prefix for a number in a movie.  Everyone knows that's a fake number, so it takes me out of the movie.

Problem is, we can't assign tons of fake prefixes to make them look less fake (we're already running out of phone numbers in a bunch of area codes), and if you use a real prefix it causes problems. (405) 867-5309 goes to the school library in Maysville, Oklahoma, for instance. Can't imagine that librarian is too happy fielding calls from people who just discovered Tommy Tutone.

Social Distancing.  Why couldn't we say, stay away from people.  Why did we have to invent a word?

Just like that, everything has to have a term now days.  We can't do anything without calling it something.

Because "stay away from people" is not precise enough. How far away are we staying? For what purpose? Am I staying away from you because I don't like you? Oh, it's because there's a pandemic on, so you're staying six feet away to keep from catching it. Got it.

The internet lets things get to every corner of the world, and Amazon helps us order anything we can think up.  I miss the days when you played baseball as a youngster and saw a player wearing eyeblack, and you had to improvise with shoe polish because no one in town sold it.  Like a lot of things, if you couldn't find it at a store, you just missed out.  There were a lot of things that were only available to professional athletes, and I liked it better that way.  Now you have high school football teams with better uniforms than the pros.

That's...objectively worse, though. I like the fact that I can use, say, gaffer tape instead of duct tape in my daily life. Gaffer tape is better for the purposes I use it for, and even though Walmart doesn't carry it, I can still get it from the same places the movie industry does.

TV shows used to come on on a specific day of the week at a specific time.  Now with Netflix, you can binge watch.  Its great, but I missed the days when if you missed that day and time, you missed it, and you had to wait years for it to run in re-runs to finally see what your friends have been talking about.  Taking that away has been a pet peeve.

You...like that people are forced to miss out on things? I worked swing shift for the past six years. If I had been doing that in the 80s, I'd never have the opportunity to watch anything in prime time at all. Guess it works better if your goal is to punish the working class or something.

there are more egregious grammar errors out there than that.  [...] And starting sentences with prepositions.

Not conjunctions?

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 02:11:46 PM
Families who all look the same.  Dude in is cargo shorts, flip flops, a bit overweight in his wicking polo with a Costa Del Mar hat.  Woman in navy tank top and black yoga pants and they are in an  F150. 

I mean, that's just because you keep looking at families in Texas...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2020, 02:40:31 PM
gymormous is not only stupid, but a new term.

ginormous = giant + enormous. It's just a portmanteau like "driveway" or "nightstand". You'll be fine.

Problem is, we can't assign tons of fake prefixes to make them look less fake (we're already running out of phone numbers in a bunch of area codes), and if you use a real prefix it causes problems. (405) 867-5309 goes to the school library in Maysville, Oklahoma, for instance. Can't imagine that librarian is too happy fielding calls from people who just discovered Tommy Tutone.

Because "stay away from people" is not precise enough. How far away are we staying? For what purpose? Am I staying away from you because I don't like you? Oh, it's because there's a pandemic on, so you're staying six feet away to keep from catching it. Got it.

That's...objectively worse, though. I like the fact that I can use, say, gaffer tape instead of duct tape in my daily life. Gaffer tape is better for the purposes I use it for, and even though Walmart doesn't carry it, I can still get it from the same places the movie industry does.

You...like that people are forced to miss out on things? I worked swing shift for the past six years. If I had been doing that in the 80s, I'd never have the opportunity to watch anything in prime time at all. Guess it works better if your goal is to punish the working class or something.

there are more egregious grammar errors out there than that.  [...] And starting sentences with prepositions.

Not conjunctions?

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 02:11:46 PM

I mean, that's just because you keep looking at families in Texas...

I thought this was minor things that annoy you, not ways to get over it.  I really don't want to get over these things, they bug me. 

I do like that I can order things I could never get before because Sears didn't carry it, but the trade off is everyone has the same crap now.  Nothing is unique anymore because anyone can look it up at anytime, and can tell 20 of their friends over social media in an instant and then all of them have it.  Then, in the course of 3 days, a whole town has it.  Like a lot of things, the internet was a great invention, but it brought on many many more annoyances as a result. 

My point to the term social distancing was why does everything have to have a buzz word?  Why do we have to market everything?  Why is everything for sale?

Yes, I do miss the days of missing prime time shows if you had something else to do.  It kinda taught you a lesson in life that nothing is guaranteed in life, an that you need to get over the trivial stuff and focus on what's really important.  Now everyone seems to have an entitled attitude to everything because they have total access to everything all the time.  Let me solve a debate by "googling" what you two are fighting about instead of using your brains.  It is, in my opinion, one of the many things that has made us a very spoiled society.  There were lessons to be learned when you didn't get your way in the old days because you couldn't get your way.  Now, it seems like with the availability of everything, you can have literally, everything, and there is no reward.  No one learns any hard lessons anymore.  Everything is instantaneous.  Its great for somethings, but I see it spoils people.

I hate the term googling too.  I hate that it is a broad term for internet activity. 

The movie industry is making millions off these movies.  One of the people involved in the picture can open an account for a real phone number and throw it in a closet somewhere and let it ring off the hook and no one answer it over giving me that 555 nonsense.  It's not that hard.

The term ______ STRONG when your community has faced hardship.  I get you want to band together, but can we be original people?  Everyone has used it twice over now.

And, did I mention I hate starting sentences with prepositions?

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 08, 2020, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2020, 05:45:27 AM
At the next interchange to the northeast, the on-ramp loop's fog line is routinely ignored by drivers, and is always very faded. Some people are far enough off the 'roadway' that their entire car is to the right of the fog line.

Another off-ramp from I-5 to S 38 St in Tacoma has been clipped so many times, the fog line is just gone.

I figured out what you meant from the context, but I had never seen/heard the term "fog line" until this post.
Absent any context, I would have thought it was some sort of weather-related terminology.

I don't really know why I said it. I think it's a common term out west only. Normally I would say "shoulder line".

WSDOT does use the term, although it's slang.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 03:32:32 PM
And, did I mention I hate starting sentences with prepositions?

In your circle you knew one person ...

A glutton for punishment, I see.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

For whatever reason, it seems that ethanhopkin14 does not use an apostrophe in the contraction "it's."  It doesn't seem to affect any of the other contractions, though.

Its not a ATM machine or a VIN number

everyone acts like its been around forever

Its great, but I missed the days
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

texaskdog

It was "real quick" but now it's "reach out". For God's sakes....tell me to call them, email them, contact them, but "reaching out" is stupid.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 08, 2020, 04:34:26 PM

For whatever reason, it seems that ethanhopkin14 does not use an apostrophe in the contraction "it's."  It doesn't seem to affect any of the other contractions, though.

Its not a ATM machine or a VIN number

everyone acts like its been around forever

Its great, but I missed the days
Guilty as charged.  The main reason is I can't ever remember if the contraction or the possessive gets it.  Yes, I do know it's the contraction but I sometimes second guess in the moment so I don't use 's at all.  That isn't the point to that sentence.  It is people using 's to show the plural of something, a place where 's should never be used.

Oakland A's.

GaryV

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 04:42:42 PM
... people using 's to show the plural of something, a place where 's should never be used.

Oakland A's.

That is a proper use of an apostrophe for a plural.  It is often used for the plural of a single letter (or of a number, for that matter).  And in this case specifically, for where not using an apostrophe would result in a different word - "As".  Another example is the plural of the initialism for Significant Other.  SO's is correct, because otherwise it would be SOs looking like someone mis-capitalized the distress signal.

hotdogPi

Area codes can't have a 9 as a middle digit. Those could be used.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on September 08, 2020, 05:01:09 PM

Area codes can't have a 9 as a middle digit. Those could be used.

In that case, people will just dial the seven-digit number in their own area code. Another possibility is to start the seven-digit number with 1, since that's not allowed either. Or just go the Futurama route and give a number like 784-36λ9.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on September 06, 2020, 10:56:00 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 12, 2020, 07:44:25 PM
Bands that had a following at one point and play a concert and play primarily new stuff. A few songs are fun but that's not what people are paying to see.

You obviously don't understand what being an artist is all about.

And then there's Chicago. The running joke is that it's now a cover band for its own music. Three of the original seven (or eight, if you throw percussionist Laudir deOliviera into the mix) and a handful of new albums since their heyday, but still playing songs from the Columbia (Terry Kath) and Warner/Full Moon (David Foster production and Pete Cetera as the showcase vocalist) days almost to the exclusion of anything new.

Or Kiss, which has still been releasing new albums but the lead guitarist and drummer are wearing classic Ace Frehley and Peter Criss makeup despite previous makeup-era new members having their own facial disguises.

Compare them to Rush, where on their last tours they played a good mixture of new stuff and their older stuff to much success. They swapped out a lot of the older tunes from tour to tour while still playing the most recognizable stuff (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, etc.) and obscurities from some of their releases. Metallica does the same thing.

A lot of bands still tour with replacement members (Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon) but I have no idea if they have any new tunes out or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2020, 04:58:33 PM
... people using 's to show the plural of something, a place where 's should never be used.

Oakland A's.

That is a proper use of an apostrophe for a plural.  It is often used for the plural of a single letter (or of a number, for that matter).  And in this case specifically, for where not using an apostrophe would result in a different word - "As".  Another example is the plural of the initialism for Significant Other.  SO's is correct, because otherwise it would be SOs looking like someone mis-capitalized the distress signal.

Here is the deal, I hate abbreviations, so A's and SO's should be Athletics and Significant Others respectively anyway rendering this conversation moot anyway. 

jakeroot

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 08, 2020, 06:29:43 PM
Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2020, 04:58:33 PM

Oakland A's.

Here is the deal, I hate abbreviations, so A's and SO's should be Athletics and Significant Others respectively anyway rendering this conversation moot anyway.

The Athletics are almost universally referred to as the A's. I suggest you get over that one.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2020, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 10:01:07 AM
"New normal" has been circulating as a catchphrase for several years now, so it really doesn't bother me much.

Who was saying it before all this virus stuff? 

I'd hear it in work meetings; for example, if we had to start using a type of process or method with some repetition, or to explain a sea change that a client or manufacturer will have to undertake for some reason (usually either legal, mission-statement, or software-induced), then we'd say "new normal".

You'd hear it in media cases where "the genie won't go back in the bottle" situations which have gradually taken over other situations: smartphones, social media, Internet, shopping from home, annoying electrical assistants...stuff like that.

Now it really means something much less optional than using a physical newspaper instead of reading it online, but so overused so as to describe a future that hasn't quite happened yet and is subject to change.

[/braces self for something in my post that bothers someone]

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on September 08, 2020, 07:02:02 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 06:44:28 PM
[/braces self for something in my post that bothers someone]

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/30/sea-change/

To a client footing the bill, sometimes minor things are magnified to a hyperbolic extent where many things become "sea change"...to others, it's just an extra click or an extra step which might take an extra second or two. And in a week, they'll get over it if there's no loss of function.

Phrases and words do modify after 500 years. I rather like the term "sea change", for that matter; it's vague enough to imply a gentle erosion of habits or a vast transformation, which really leaves no in-between. I guess it depends on how close someone is to an ocean and how comfortable they are with change.

(Also, people who coldly link without explanation.)

Scott5114

I do like that I can order things I could never get before because Sears didn't carry it, but the trade off is everyone has the same crap now.  Nothing is unique anymore because anyone can look it up at anytime, and can tell 20 of their friends over social media in an instant and then all of them have it.  Then, in the course of 3 days, a whole town has it.  Like a lot of things, the internet was a great invention, but it brought on many many more annoyances as a result. 

Yes, I do miss the days of missing prime time shows if you had something else to do.  It kinda taught you a lesson in life that nothing is guaranteed in life, an that you need to get over the trivial stuff and focus on what's really important.  Now everyone seems to have an entitled attitude to everything because they have total access to everything all the time.  Let me solve a debate by "googling" what you two are fighting about instead of using your brains.  It is, in my opinion, one of the many things that has made us a very spoiled society.  There were lessons to be learned when you didn't get your way in the old days because you couldn't get your way.  Now, it seems like with the availability of everything, you can have literally, everything, and there is no reward.  No one learns any hard lessons anymore.  Everything is instantaneous.  Its great for somethings, but I see it spoils people.

It sounds like the real issue that you have is that for some reason situations where everyone has equal access to something bothers you. There's a product you like, someone has to be unable to buy it. There's a TV show, someone has to miss it. There's knowledge, so someone has to know it and someone has to not know it. Given that equal access generally benefits everyone, I haven't the foggiest idea why you'd think the technical solutions to grant it are bothersome.

It should be noted–whenever there's a system of inequality in play, someone somewhere will have an incentive to make sure that you are the one who gets left out.

My point to the term social distancing was why does everything have to have a buzz word?  Why do we have to market everything?  Why is everything for sale?

Because it's a new concept, so it needed a new term to make it easier to discuss? Same reason we have pronouns, really. Imagine reading a news article describing a study about covid case rates in cities following social distancing rules compared to whose that do not. How much longer do you think the article would be if every single sentence had to use the phrase "keeping a safe space between yourself and other people who are not from your household"?

I hate the term googling too.  I hate that it is a broad term for internet activity.

Genericized trademarks suck for everyone, especially the owner of the trademarks. Unfortunately, once there's inertia behind a term, it's practically impossible to change. Just ask the Kleenex people.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.