News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on March 04, 2021, 09:11:18 AM
Chairs that sit you about 30+ inches off the ground are irritating. There's no way to sit or dismount without looking and feeling oafish, and I prefer it if my feet can actually touch the ground.

Don't sit at the bar/counter much, then, do ya?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:24:36 AM
Chairs that sit you about 30+ inches off the ground are irritating. There's no way to sit or dismount without looking and feeling oafish, and I prefer it if my feet can actually touch the ground.

Don't sit at the bar/counter much, then, do ya?

Nope.

GaryV

Heh.  Just wait until your knees get about a decade and a half older.

And once you're on the seat, it's almost impossible to pull up to the table.

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on March 04, 2021, 01:14:09 PM
Heh.  Just wait until your knees get about a decade and a half older.

And once you're on the seat, it's almost impossible to pull up to the table.

That's the other thing, once I've managed to scale myself up, I don't want to get off that wacky perch, unless I'm leaving it for good.

I'd rather stand, which I suppose they want you to do from that position. Then, the chair is probably in the way.

Scott5114

I hate them too. They generally seem to be around when someone is going for a "trendy" sort of setting (or pretending to be trendy, like a recently-remodeled McDonalds). As a result, they usually tend to be hard wood or metal without any sort of cushioning, as well, which certainly doesn't do anything to make them more comfortable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I don't mind them if there's a high-enough rung to put my feet on.  But I get nerve pain in my legs if the backs of my thighs rest on the edge of a chair for too long.

Those seats/stools are especially fun with a kid who's barely big enough to climb up.  Tumble!  Yep, I could have told you that would happen...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 08:53:26 PM
Saying "Your pant is in your sock.".

"two pair" of glasses instead of "two pairs"  "pair" just sounds stupid, pairs sounds complete.  Same for Daylight Savings Time.  and Sherbert.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on March 04, 2021, 04:03:29 PM
Sherbert

Sure, Bert!

"two pair" of glasses instead of "two pairs"  "pair" just sounds stupid, pairs sounds complete.

Now that we're on the topic...  Why is it a pair of panties but only one bra?   Seems backward to me.  :hmmm:
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:10:44 PM
Why is it a pair of panties but only one bra?   Seems backward to me.  :hmmm:

This Quora post asked this exact question:

Its a hold over from a "pair of underwear" when you actually had 2 separate pants like legs that women belted into under dresses with a full split for easy elimination (kinda like the hole modern day spanx has). As fashion changed, the two pieces got connected, shrank, and eventually ended up as what we have now that range from boy shorts to g-strings!

kphoger

People who flick their cigarette butt out the car window.   :no:
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

"two pair" of glasses instead of "two pairs"  "pair" just sounds stupid, pairs sounds complete.  Same for Daylight Savings Time.  and Sherbert.

I recall when Austin Rogers said "What is sherbert?" on Jeopardy and was judged incorrect. He protested, "I'm from New York. That's how we say it."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:23:45 PM

would love to see one get a ticket for littering.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2021, 04:46:53 PM

I recall when Austin Rogers said "What is sherbert?" on Jeopardy and was judged incorrect. He protested, "I'm from New York. That's how we say it."

YOURE WRONG ALEX>>>YOU   ARE   WRONGG!!!!!!

tolbs17

Quote from: texaskdog on March 04, 2021, 05:59:48 PM

would love to see one get a ticket for littering.
In North Carolina, if you do so, you get 1 point on your license.

Littering is illegal, and max fine here is $1,000!

Scott5114

Problem is a cop has to see you do it and bother to write a ticket...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

I have a neighbor who can't stop apologizing for minor things, even if I tell her it's no big deal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 09:33:29 PM
I have a neighbor who can't stop apologizing for minor things, even if I tell her it's no big deal.

Our best friend's wife always says "I'm sorry" when she has no reason to.  Years ago, her then-boyfriend-later-fiancé-now husband kept telling her "Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" à la Gibbs, and the two of us started doing it too.  She still does it, and we invariably tell her "Stop apologizing".  Actually, half the time, all we have to do is look at her and she'll say "I know, stop apologizing.  Sorry."
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 01, 2021, 08:22:33 AM
People starting a conversation with "˜Yo'

or end with "bro"

you mind, bro?

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2021, 08:40:53 PM
Problem is a cop has to see you do it and bother to write a ticket...

which had never ever ever happened

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on March 04, 2021, 10:31:48 PM

or end with "bro"

you mind, bro?

You and I must have a different "crowd".

But, as long as we're on the topic...  My sister calls her husband "bae".  She's 46 years old.  He was born in 1948.  It makes me want to throw up in my mouth just a tiny bit to hear it.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

Not 'minor' in my book - that is a dangerous potential ignition source for dry-season wildfires.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:35:01 PM

People starting a conversation with ‘Yo’

or end with "bro"

you mind, bro?

But, as long as we're on the topic...  My sister calls her husband "bae".  She's 46 years old.  He was born in 1948.  It makes me want to throw up in my mouth just a tiny bit to hear it.

I've always been kind of set off by the use of undefined pronouns in conversation - "They said...."  (Who is 'They'?).

Mike

kenarmy

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:35:01 PM

or end with "bro"

you mind, bro?

Waitt I thought "bae" was a >30 thing. Well at least she doesn't say hubby that has to be the cringiest
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

CoreySamson

Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 09:33:29 PM
That reminds me of a time a couple weeks ago, where I was at the drive-thru at Wendy's and I got super fast service (within 30 seconds or so), and when the worker gave me my food, she said, "Sorry for the wait." Uh, that was the fastest drive-thru service I ever received; you don't need to apologize. Every other time I've sat in the drive-thru, I've had to wait longer and no one apologized for the wait.

Other restaurant-related annoyances:

- When they put 50 packets of ketchup in your bag. Like seriously, I'm not going to use all that ketchup, even if I do really like it, so most of it goes to waste.

- When my burger has so much on it that the meat slips out of the bun.

- When the cashier tries to get you to try a new side or dessert "for just another dollar." No thanks, I'm fine with what I ordered.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.