News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on March 17, 2021, 05:44:56 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 17, 2021, 05:37:41 PM
When you make a post on this forum and are notified someone posted in the meantime, like you're going to go redo your post.

It's important. Sometimes the previous person replied with exactly what I was going to say, so I don't post in order to avoid duplication.

Or sometimes they reply with something I want to address, so I insert a separator line and then reply to the new post in order to avoid posting multiple consecutive replies in the same thread (which is something the forum guidelines discourage people from doing).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Or - and this is a big one for me - when you were replying to the post directly above yours, and someone else posts, you might want to insert the quote you're replying to for context.

(Whew - got this one in there without having to add a quote!  :-P)

kenarmy

That loud radar sound when the card is ready to be removed out of the machine. Like damn you don't have to be so violent and scream at me  :-|
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

HONK HONK HONK

The retailer can override that sound effect with their own (I remember for a while, Target was having theirs make kind of a doorbell-chime sound). But for whatever reason, a lot of them stick with the angry goose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2021, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 17, 2021, 05:44:56 PM

Quote from: texaskdog on March 17, 2021, 05:37:41 PM
When you make a post on this forum and are notified someone posted in the meantime, like you're going to go redo your post.

It's important. Sometimes the previous person replied with exactly what I was going to say, so I don't post in order to avoid duplication.

Or they're correcting something about the very post you're replying to.

Me, all day every day.

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on March 17, 2021, 10:45:54 PM
That loud radar sound when the card is ready to be removed out of the machine. Like damn you don't have to be so violent and scream at me  :-|

It wouldn't be so bad, except that it says DO NOT REMOVE CARD until 0.00002 seconds before ONK! ONK! ONK! REMOVE CARD NOW, YOU IDIOT!!!!!!

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 10, 2021, 12:24:41 AM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 09, 2021, 10:10:50 PM

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 01:08:25 PM
People that don't use a "ch" sound when saying mature.

You just reminded me of a huge peeve of mine:  Singers who link words together with "ch," such as "wontchoo," cantchoo," "wouldjoo."  No, it's "won't you," can't you," and "would you."  Being a former barbershopper, I wince like I'm hearing someone scratching a chalkboard.

For what it's worth, this process of t + y becoming ch, and the similar process of d + y becoming j (as in education), is called palatalization, and it is a very common process in language change. Among other things, it is through palatalization that the letters c and g got their double pronunciation.

I think that people who oppose palatalization should be forced to pronounce these sound combinations in exactly the same way:

suit yourself  =  suture

wait your turn  =  nature
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2021, 10:49:52 PM
Me, all day every day.

At least you included a quote before that, or else we'd think you annoy yourself–all day, every day.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 10, 2021, 12:24:41 AM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 09, 2021, 10:10:50 PM

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 01:08:25 PM
People that don't use a "ch" sound when saying mature.

You just reminded me of a huge peeve of mine:  Singers who link words together with "ch," such as "wontchoo," cantchoo," "wouldjoo."  No, it's "won't you," can't you," and "would you."  Being a former barbershopper, I wince like I'm hearing someone scratching a chalkboard.

For what it's worth, this process of t + y becoming ch, and the similar process of d + y becoming j (as in education), is called palatalization, and it is a very common process in language change. Among other things, it is through palatalization that the letters c and g got their double pronunciation.

I think that people who oppose palatalization should be forced to pronounce these sound combinations in exactly the same way:

suit yourself  =  suture

wait your turn  =  nature

There are many situations like this.  Words ending in the same letter as the next one starts with (Richard Dune will sometimes sound like Richardune) . Words ending with a letter, and the next word starting with another letter that is very commonly used with the first letter combined to make another sound all together (Jack Reacher can sound like Ja Creature).

I understand some of this is accent based.  I know my accent sometimes makes a T in the middle of a word sound more like a D.  Of course PEN and PIN in the Texas accent almost sound like both are being pronounced PIN, but the reality to it is the accent makes the short E and short I very similar but not.  Even though I do it from time to time because of my accent, if I think about it real hard I can keep my accent out of the pronunciations.  Basically, I am saying if stuff runs together, its because I am being lazy.  All you go to do is give a little bit of a crap and you can not sound so lazy.  That's why it bothers me. 

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 18, 2021, 11:07:17 AM
I know my accent sometimes makes a T in the middle of a word sound more like a D.

That's normal, though.  The words ladder and latter have identical pronunciations.
Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 11:14:16 AM
I know my accent sometimes makes a T in the middle of a word sound more like a D.

That's normal, though.  The words ladder and latter have identical pronunciations.

Normal, yes.  Still aggravates me when I do it. 

kphoger

Why?  Are there any places in the USA that don't pronounce them the same?

Same with liter and leader.  Are those not homophones everywhere in this country?
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

The sound at the start of the 2nd syllable in Wisconsin is not a C.

hotdogPi

Quote from: GaryV on March 18, 2021, 12:26:45 PM

What is it, then?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

thspfc

What? Sure it is. Wis - CON (as in Conference) - sin.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 18, 2021, 12:30:17 PM

What is it, then?

K   :hmmm:   :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Basically, I am saying if stuff runs together, its because I am being lazy.  All you go to do is give a little bit of a crap and you can not sound so lazy.  That's why it bothers me.

For what it's worth, I disagree with this assessment. The things you've discussed far are just a common and essentially universal aspect of language change. I don't think they derive from laziness, or if they do, it's not the sort of laziness I would consider to be a moral lapse. These sorts of processes are, after all, how the sounds of English that you do appreciate came about.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

GaryV

Listen carefully to someone saying Wisconsin, and you'll hear a G in there.  Because it's easier for the mouth/tongue to switch from S to G than from S to C.

texaskdog

Having a dog, TV shows that are always ringing doorbells.  Can anyone knock?

texaskdog

Quote from: GaryV on March 18, 2021, 03:20:08 PM
Listen carefully to someone saying Wisconsin, and you'll hear a G in there.  Because it's easier for the mouth/tongue to switch from S to G than from S to C.

Like Gualmart

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 18, 2021, 03:01:38 PM
Basically, I am saying if stuff runs together, its because I am being lazy.  All you go to do is give a little bit of a crap and you can not sound so lazy.  That's why it bothers me.

For what it's worth, I disagree with this assessment. The things you've discussed far are just a common and essentially universal aspect of language change. I don't think they derive from laziness, or if they do, it's not the sort of laziness I would consider to be a moral lapse. These sorts of processes are, after all, how the sounds of English that you do appreciate came about.

Didn't say it was a moral lapse.  I just say I feel lazy when I slur words together....without any help from drinking. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on March 18, 2021, 03:20:57 PM

I've never had a doorbell, yet my dogs have always barked at the TV doorbell.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2021, 03:34:04 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 18, 2021, 03:20:57 PM

I've never had a doorbell, yet my dogs have always barked at the TV doorbell.

Mine too.  I have a doorbell, but no one every comes over and no one ever rings it. 

kphoger

Car dome lights that don't turn off immediately after you lock the doors.

Did someone not shut his door all the way, or will it shut off in a little bit?  I don't know, let me just stare at the car out here in the blowing snow for a while to find out.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.