News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Mundane routine annoyance: Shipping confirmation e-mails (whether UPS or FedEx, doesn't matter) that simply tell you the label was created, and then when you track the package it's two or three days before there's actually any tracking info. Tell me when the package actually ships.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Google Forms not saving answers if you close the page.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SSOWorld

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 29, 2021, 05:07:16 PM
Mundane routine annoyance: Shipping confirmation e-mails (whether UPS or FedEx, doesn't matter) that simply tell you the label was created, and then when you track the package it's two or three days before there's actually any tracking info. Tell me when the package actually ships.
package arrives.  Two hours later... Echo/E-mail: "Your package has arrived"
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 29, 2021, 09:27:45 PM

Heh. I finally got updated info for the current one. I'll be keeping a sharp eye out this time because it's supposed to come Thursday, it's supposed to rain Thursday, and the box is too big to wrap in plastic (not that UPS does that anymore anyway).

I-55

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 29, 2021, 09:54:26 PM

Heh. I finally got updated info for the current one. I'll be keeping a sharp eye out this time because it's supposed to come Thursday, it's supposed to rain Thursday, and the box is too big to wrap in plastic (not that UPS does that anymore anyway).

In a similar vein... When Severe Thunderstorm Warnings come over the radio AFTER the warning has already been canceled.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

tolbs17

Whatever the hell the double red lights (and arrows) mean.

dlsterner

They drop off the package - and don't knock on my door nor ring my doorbell, but just leave.  Sometimes even staying out of range of my Ring camera (like dropping it off at my garage door instead of my front door)

1995hoo

UPS always trained their drivers to knock, rather than ring the bell, because it's faster–it's obvious where the door is, but doorbell locations vary. With that said, I've also noticed they don't knock anymore. Same applies to Amazon delivery.

Tomorrow's delivery is supposed to weigh 61 pounds (I ordered a new desk chair for my home office). I assume they'll put it in front of the garage door.

CapeCodder

Quote from: I-55 on June 29, 2021, 09:55:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 29, 2021, 09:54:26 PM

In a similar vein... When Severe Thunderstorm Warnings come over the radio AFTER the warning has already been canceled.

This. Another wx related rant: Back in 2010 I remember it being a Sunday and the radio station I was listening to at work stated there was a tornado warning. Looked at the NWS site and there was no warning, only a watch for the area. That made me mad. Why? Because the general public often doesn't know the difference between a watch and warning. That could cause unnecessary panic.

jmacswimmer

I've had the opposite happen before (presumably because the driver scans a bunch of packages at once prior to actually dropping them off), and yes it has caused moments of panic when I don't see anything at the door  :ded: (and then relief when it magically does appear a bit later!)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

mgk920

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 30, 2021, 07:48:28 AM
UPS always trained their drivers to knock, rather than ring the bell, because it's faster–it's obvious where the door is, but doorbell locations vary. With that said, I've also noticed they don't knock anymore. Same applies to Amazon delivery.

Tomorrow's delivery is supposed to weigh 61 pounds (I ordered a new desk chair for my home office). I assume they'll put it in front of the garage door.

My personal work experiences have shown me that doorbells are often very unreliable.  A good 'police knock' usually does the trick.   :nod:

Mike

Scott5114

With USPS, this happens because it takes a while between when a package is sent and when USPS scans it in as received. I usually create the label the night before the package goes out, then it shows as "Label Created" (or even sometimes "No Information Available") even after USPS takes physical possession of the package, until they scan the package in at the distribution center. Which could take almost 24 hours, if they pick it up in the morning and then the truck's driving around town all day.

Since the shipper cannot tell when the package is going to get picked up or scanned in by the carrier, it makes sense to send the notification out as soon as the label is created, so the customer can check it at their leisure. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

I really dislike the use of the word "they" as a personal, gender-neutral, singular pronoun. It messes up grammar and causes confusion when used as such. I wish English had a better one than "it", which is not appropriate when referring to humans. I like using "he/she", but I would be fine with creating a new term for the idea (such as "che" or "zhe", dunno, just spitballing here), or even just using "he" as a gender-neutral pronoun (probably the best option).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kevinb1994

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 01, 2021, 07:45:40 PM
I really dislike the use of the word "they" as a personal, gender-neutral, singular pronoun. It messes up grammar and causes confusion when used as such. I wish English had a better one than "it", which is not appropriate when referring to humans. I like using "he/she", but I would be fine with creating a new term for the idea (such as "che" or "zhe", dunno, just spitballing here), or even just using "he" as a gender-neutral pronoun (probably the best option).
You're not alone in this argument. My parents don't want to deal with using they/them.

texaskdog

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 01, 2021, 07:48:07 PM
You’re not alone in this argument. My parents don’t want to deal with using they/them.

how about he/she?  or like in German Der/Die/Das...... He/she/das

Scott5114

Too bad, it's been part of the language since as far back as 1375, meaning that usage is older than Shakespeare. Nobody even started complaining about it "messing up grammar" until 1750, which means it was being used for 375 years before anyone had a problem with it! And it's not just an American thing; it's used in every country that speaks English, including the UK.

"They" is the gender-neutral singular pronoun in English, and more or less always has been.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Quote from: texaskdog on July 01, 2021, 09:28:48 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 01, 2021, 07:48:07 PM
You're not alone in this argument. My parents don't want to deal with using they/them.

how about he/she?  or like in German Der/Die/Das...... He/she/das
In German, an unmarried woman is referred to a gender-neutral das.

tdindy88

I thought German was er/sie/es when referring to people. Isn't Der/Die/Das meant for nouns?

kenarmy

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2021, 10:12:18 PM

Too bad, it's been part of the language since as far back as 1375, meaning that usage is older than Shakespeare. Nobody even started complaining about it "messing up grammar" until 1750, which means it was being used for 375 years before anyone had a problem with it! And it's not just an American thing; it's used in every country that speaks English, including the UK.

"They" is the gender-neutral singular pronoun in English, and more or less always has been.
It can get confusing when you're talking about that person but I don't have a problem with it. I have a transgender (?) cousin, and I only refer to *their* name and avoid using pronouns period. Also, why isn't there an equivalent to "sir" or "ma'am"?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: gonealookin on November 27, 2019, 12:22:08 PM
At the grocery store, when the old lady in front of me in line (it's always an old lady) has a bill of $9.48, and after peeling the five and four ones off her stack, goes digging through her coin purse until she finds exactly 48 cents.

The word "trickeration" used by football announcers.

having worked in a drive-thru for a long time...

'hey, i just want to get rid of some pennies...

well, what makes you think i want them?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hotdogPi

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:23:07 AM

I don't know whether you're referring to the customer or the cashier saying it, but if the customer is saying it, the cashier definitely needs them – they give out a lot more than they receive.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: 1 on July 02, 2021, 09:27:21 AM

I don't know whether you're referring to the customer or the cashier saying it, but if the customer is saying it, the cashier definitely needs them – they give out a lot more than they receive.

usually a customer. i always had all the pennies i needed. when someone came through and handed me socks full of them, it just meant more counting. generally this happened later at night ... we had a saying, 'the later, the stoned-er' (which applied to customers and employees equally...) and we were across the street from a trailer park. so, at 12am it wasn't uncommon to see a really baked person in a $200 car that barely ran counting pennies for a double cheeseburger.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: gonealookin on November 27, 2019, 12:22:08 PM
At the grocery store, when the old lady in front of me in line (it's always an old lady) has a bill of $9.48, and after peeling the five and four ones off her stack, goes digging through her coin purse until she finds exactly 48 cents.

The word "trickeration" used by football announcers.

How many pennies do they have? Maybe they think that you might want them for change?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

I have to start saying "y'all" (shudder even typing that) instead of saying "you guys" for the simple fact that a gendered term is in the saying. There is no chance 'he' will ever become gender-neutral when 'they' does the job far better.

We are moving quickly towards a society where people are referred to as specifically as possible ('he' or 'she' if absolutely certain), or a term without any gendering ('they'). I really don't see why this is problematic.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2021, 10:12:18 PM

You said this so well all that's left is to agree.  And to add that coining a new word rarely catches on, and that using "he" as a gender-neutral pronoun sounds deliberately hurtful.  We don't need to coin a new word, because singular "they" is a long established usage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.