News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2021, 05:03:16 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 18, 2021, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: US 89 on July 18, 2021, 04:07:33 PM
When people don't proofread their quote strings when they post in forums.
A glitch that doesn't always bring you to the bottom when quoting someone.

It's not a glitch, it's carelessness. The quote function always inserts the quote exactly where your cursor is. People can't be bothered to hit Ctrl+End to ensure their cursor is at the end of the message before they insert the quote or start typing their reply.

It's not the most intuitive quoting system, compared to twenty years of using other forums' software. Until you mentioned Control+End or clicking on the area of the text box, I would have never figured out why it appeared to be random.

To wit, try inserting a return above the first line of text. It's a glitch and we deal with it. That's also not typical of any other software I've used before. The point is, there's minor usability flaws with SMF, but you get what you pay for. Most of the basic functionality is quite all right.

That's why sometimes I don't bother quoting posts on a mobile device just to pick up on one bit of a sentence. Frankly, it's probably a good self-deterrent from extraneous postings about an odd minor quibble in someone's posts.

hbelkins

There is nothing so pressing on this forum that I must use a mobile device to read or post to it. I may have read it a time or two on an iPad, but all other times, I've used a full-fledged computer.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Compared to City-Data and other forums, it only quotes one post at a time.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 12:34:04 PM
When you are typing on a keyboard and after 1 second of your hand on the key, it starts repeating it. There is no scenario where you would be writing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, so what's the point?

It's a nice exploit for this Sporcle challenge :sombrero:. I never got past about 212 spacebar mashes before I ran out of time, before I discovered this...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 19, 2021, 03:15:46 PM
When you are typing on a keyboard and after 1 second of your hand on the key, it starts repeating it. There is no scenario where you would be writing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, so what's the point?

It's a nice exploit for this Sporcle challenge :sombrero:. I never got past about 212 spacebar mashes before I ran out of time, before I discovered this...

225 times in nine seconds.

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 02:55:37 PM

What do you mean? You can quote multiple posts, you just have to scroll up (or down, depending on which editor you're using) and click the "Quote" icon for each post you want to quote. It's best to make sure your cursor is in the appropriate spot in the editor, of course.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on July 19, 2021, 02:55:05 PM
There is nothing so pressing on this forum that I must use a mobile device to read or post to it. I may have read it a time or two on an iPad, but all other times, I've used a full-fledged computer.
I mostly use my computer unless I'm away.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2021, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 19, 2021, 03:15:46 PM

225 times in nine seconds.

What do you mean? You can quote multiple posts, you just have to scroll up (or down, depending on which editor you're using) and click the "Quote" icon for each post you want to quote. It's best to make sure your cursor is in the appropriate spot in the editor, of course.
I'm saying on City-Data you can only quote one post at a time compared to here that you can quote several.

Roadgeekteen

Cutting long quotes. It's annoying.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 05:42:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2021, 03:36:19 PM

I'm saying on City-Data you can only quote one post at a time compared to here that you can quote several.

Ah, I see. I thought you were saying exactly the opposite of that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 19, 2021, 02:31:31 PM
I have configured my mobile keyboard to provide arrow keys

How do you do that?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on July 19, 2021, 02:55:05 PM

Stop making me agree with you, H.B.  It's weird. :-D

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 19, 2021, 11:02:05 PM
I have configured my mobile keyboard to provide arrow keys

How do you do that?

On Android, you can download alternate keyboards besides the one which comes with the OS. I am using one called SwiftKey (which I believe is currently maintained by Microsoft), which allows you to enable arrow keys as a settings option. (It also allows you to swipe a finger over the keys without stopping and it's supposed to interpret that as the most likely word you meant based on the letters you hit, but I find it to be too unreliable to use regularly.)

Quote from: formulanone on July 19, 2021, 02:50:49 PM
To wit, try inserting a return above the first line of text. It's a glitch and we deal with it. That's also not typical of any other software I've used before. The point is, there's minor usability flaws with SMF, but you get what you pay for. Most of the basic functionality is quite all right.

I'm...not getting any glitch on Firefox/Linux?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 19, 2021, 11:35:48 PM
I'm...not getting any glitch on Firefox/Linux?

Of course, I'm not getting it now. Maybe Chrome finally fixed it?

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 05:56:48 PM

"To talk of the size of a thought is odd, perhaps, but to say that someone is thinking big thoughts is not without meaning. "I want you all to come to my birthday party" is a bigger thought than "I want only some of you to come." Bodhicitta is theoretically the biggest thought anyone can think because of the number of beings involved, what it wants them to have, and the length of time it must last before its motivating power dies out. Since the duration of a thought is a variable of the aim, in the sense that the actions motivated by a thought cease when the aim is attained, one can conceive of thoughts that last longer and longer. Bodhicitta necessarily lasts until the last living being reaches the state free of suffering, because it is only then that the aim is finally achieved. This explains the prayer of Samantabhadra at the end of the Gandavyūha section of the Avataṃsaka Sūtra, which the Dalai Lama often invokes: "For as long as space endures may I remain to work for the benefit of living beings."
― Gareth Sparham, Vast as the Heavens, Deep as the Sea: Verses in Praise of Bodhicitta

US 89

On the contrary, I find it annoying when people quote a wall of text and 90% of it is irrelevant to their current post...

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on July 18, 2021, 04:07:33 PM
When people don't proofread their quote strings when they post in forums.

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 18, 2021, 04:11:53 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 16, 2021, 06:30:09 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 16, 2021, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 16, 2021, 12:30:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 16, 2021, 12:25:35 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 15, 2021, 11:26:46 PM
That the Off Topic board is turning into a Music board.

I'm usually loath to propose new boards or sub-boards, because the more of them you have the more sprawling the forum feels and the more overwhelming it is to navigate, but music seems like it is a perennial enough topic it might be justified.
I would also support that.
Like this!
If Sports can have its own board, I feel Music could also suffice. Just seems like there's so many music threads all of a sudden. When was the last time a new board was added anyway? Seems like it may be time for a new one.
Urban Planning is the most recent one.

OMG!  That is absolutely the best post you've ever made, |tolbs17|!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 02:45:25 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2021, 12:55:29 PM

I see a paradox.

I only typed it out to make an example.

Why are you pressing a key on the keyboard for more than a second to begin with?

Besides which, it's with some frequency that I type things like these:
AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHH!
=====================
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

spot the error (it's a content error, not grammatical)
Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 20, 2021, 01:53:32 PM
Am I not supposed to open up that big hole in the roof during the day because it's called a moonroof?

My keyboard only repeats characters that aren't alphanumeric. (Letters from other alphabets are considered alphanumeric.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

I am no Luddite; I do not object to the existence of mobile devices. I have a smartphone. But while smartphones are great at a number of things (it's great having a calculator, a camera, a flashlight, and a map whenever I want), there are some things they are abysmal at.

For what it's worth, my dumbphone has a calculator, a camera, and a flashlight.  All it doesn't have is a map.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2021, 10:08:53 AM

On the contrary, I find it annoying when people quote a wall of text and 90% of it is irrelevant to their current post...

Absolutely.

Especially if the part they're replying to is 64% of the way down the quoted material, and I'm just supposed to figure that out.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on July 20, 2021, 02:41:44 PM
I am no Luddite; I do not object to the existence of mobile devices. I have a smartphone. But while smartphones are great at a number of things (it's great having a calculator, a camera, a flashlight, and a map whenever I want), there are some things they are abysmal at.

For what it's worth, my dumbphone has a calculator, a camera, and a flashlight.  All it doesn't have is a map.
Does it have a web browser?

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 20, 2021, 02:46:39 PM

Technically, yes, I could connect to Wi-Fi and get to the Internet.  The full desktop version of the Internet.  With no touchscreen, so all navigation would be by using arrow keys.  Theoretically possible, it's true, but far from practical.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 20, 2021, 03:54:54 PM

Technically, yes, I could connect to Wi-Fi and get to the Internet.  The full desktop version of the Internet.  With no touchscreen, so all navigation would be by using arrow keys.  Theoretically possible, it's true, but far from practical.

And I'm guessing you'd have to enter the entire URL with T9, yeah? That alone was enough of a deterrent to regularly using the Web browser on my Motorola Razr back in the day.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2021, 06:02:25 PM

And I'm guessing you'd have to enter the entire URL with T9, yeah? That alone was enough of a deterrent to regularly using the Web browser on my Motorola Razr back in the day.
on an AMD processor?

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2021, 06:02:25 PM

Correct.  Unless, I suppose, someone texted me the URL and I could copy & paste.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Cutting long farts. They're annoying, rude, and sometimes they stink.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.