News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 03:58:41 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 15, 2022, 03:37:34 PM
Living in a dorm or apartment for university is kind of like that, although the majority of the time it's not that. Sometimes it's as simple as talking too loudly on the phone at a stupid hour or whatever.

During my third year of college, one of the women next door said they could hear us in our apartment whenever we took a leak because the two apartments had the same floor plan in reverse such that the bathrooms backed up against each other. That, in turn, prompted me to drag a chair in there and stand on it to amplify the sound the next time I had to take a leak at a time they'd be likely to hear.

It's interesting that the bathrooms are back to back and they complained about hearing you take a leak, but it seems like you never heard them take a leak
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Bruce

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 14, 2022, 05:56:02 PM

Quote from: Bruce on March 14, 2022, 05:43:52 PMOre-Ayy-Gone.

"Irrigun."

That's a strange one. We use "Ore-ah-guhn" or "Ore-ee-gun" around these parts. Irrigon is a city on the Columbia River.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2022, 01:47:46 PM
How about Skag-it rather than Skaj-it? I heard the former a lot when that bridge collapsed.

Yep, that one did make the rounds quite a lot

D-Dey65

My stupid computer is giving me shit, and making it take forever to organize the photos from my previous day trip to Folkston, Georgia.

It's keeping me from renaming one of the folders, no matter how long or short I make the new name. Taking it off write protection doesn't work, So I decided to make a whole new folder with a name close to what I want and then transfer the pics to that one. And it kept taking longer and longer to transfer them. And then it took longer to pause the transfer and wouldn't let me un-pause it. Now it's taking too long to cancel the transfer.

Scott5114

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 16, 2022, 01:16:13 AM
My stupid computer is giving me shit, and making it take forever to organize the photos from my previous day trip to Folkston, Georgia.

It's keeping me from renaming one of the folders, no matter how long or short I make the new name. Taking it off write protection doesn't work, So I decided to make a whole new folder with a name close to what I want and then transfer the pics to that one. And it kept taking longer and longer to transfer them. And then it took longer to pause the transfer and wouldn't let me un-pause it. Now it's taking too long to cancel the transfer.

Sounds like your hard drive might be going out. Run whatever the disk check utility in Windows is called these days.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: ran4sh on March 16, 2022, 12:06:20 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 03:58:41 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 15, 2022, 03:37:34 PM
Living in a dorm or apartment for university is kind of like that, although the majority of the time it's not that. Sometimes it's as simple as talking too loudly on the phone at a stupid hour or whatever.

During my third year of college, one of the women next door said they could hear us in our apartment whenever we took a leak because the two apartments had the same floor plan in reverse such that the bathrooms backed up against each other. That, in turn, prompted me to drag a chair in there and stand on it to amplify the sound the next time I had to take a leak at a time they'd be likely to hear.

It's interesting that the bathrooms are back to back and they complained about hearing you take a leak, but it seems like you never heard them take a leak

That doesn't seem the least bit peculiar to me for what seem to me to be rather obvious reasons, based on who I said lived next door.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2022, 10:33:07 PM
... but the downstairs dwellers cooked some really stinky food.

Early in my parents' marriage (mid-70s), before I was born and my sister was young enough to sleep in a crib, they rented half of a two-flat somewhere around here in Saint Louis.  The other tenant in the building was a Korean family;  some days the smell of their home-cooking was heavenly, and other days it was disgusting.  (I feel the same way about Korean food, incidentally).

Then there was the time that my dad went down into the basement area and found the grandmother in that family totally naked, taking a shower with a garden hose...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2022, 01:49:16 PMThe R-intrusive pronunciation is on the decline, meaning newcomers are actually more likely to pronounce it "correctly".
Unless they're from downstate Illinois, Missouri, or another place where "wash" is pronounced "warsh/worsh"

webny99

From another thread:

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2022, 11:10:31 AM
... the Georgia thread being pinned while the other Southeast state threads aren't

LilianaUwU

Overuse of protective measures such as all-way stops in a residential neighborhood. Too much is like not enough, and after the one-hundredth stop sign, you don't pay attention to them as much anymore.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Big John

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 16, 2022, 05:43:58 PM
Overuse of protective measures such as all-way stops in a residential neighborhood. Too much is like not enough, and after the one-hundredth stop sign, you don't pay attention to them as much anymore.
Does the Quebec equivalent of the MUTCD discourage stop signs from being a speed-control device?

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Big John on March 16, 2022, 05:47:00 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 16, 2022, 05:43:58 PM
Does the Quebec equivalent of the MUTCD discourage stop signs from being a speed-control device?

With how many of them there are, I can safely say that no, the Tome V doesn't discourage stop signs from being used as speed control.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

thenetwork

Quote from: Bruce on March 16, 2022, 12:29:47 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 14, 2022, 05:56:02 PM

Quote from: Bruce on March 14, 2022, 05:43:52 PMOre-Ayy-Gone.

"Irrigun."

That's a strange one. We use "Ore-ah-guhn" or "Ore-ee-gun" around these parts. Irrigon is a city on the Columbia River.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2022, 01:47:46 PM
How about Skag-it rather than Skaj-it? I heard the former a lot when that bridge collapsed.

Yep, that one did make the rounds quite a lot

Then stay out of the Toledo, Ohio area...The suburb of Oregon is pronounced as OR-RAH-GAHN, and Nevada Avenue in T-Town is pronounced as NAH-VAY-DA.

jakeroot

I've always pronounced Oregon as 'or-gn', two syllables.

tolbs17

When Haley tells me to not email her work email.

It's for work-related stuff yes, but isn't that for alternate communication when service goes down or something and you want to take a break from social media, you use emails to contact people?

US 89

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 17, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

When people assume we're going to know who Haley is.

dlsterner

Is Haley related to Mary Hannah?

tolbs17

Quote from: dlsterner on March 17, 2022, 01:19:07 AM
Is Haley related to Mary Hannah?
No. Just another friend of mine

kkt

Many people keep their work email totally separate from their personal email.  Employers are allowed to peek at email sent or received on their servers.  If it's work for a public agency, like a public college, in many states that email is a public record that can be requested through FOIA request.  Or they may just never check their work email when they're not on the clock and certainly won't be answering personal email when they are on the clock.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 17, 2022, 01:52:25 AM
Many people keep their work email totally separate from their personal email.  Employers are allowed to peek at email sent or received on their servers.  If it's work for a public agency, like a public college, in many states that email is a public record that can be requested through FOIA request.  Or they may just never check their work email when they're not on the clock and certainly won't be answering personal email when they are on the clock.

Also of note:  any e-mail you send from your work account is a legal document.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Just operate on the assumption that anything that is on a work computer is subject to viewing by your corporate security department.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2022, 09:43:34 AM

Also of note:  any e-mail you send from your work account is a legal document.
Really, any e-mail you send or receive using your work account would be discoverable.

thenetwork

Here's one that cropped up today,....again.

When someone who waits on you in a business, and they consistently call you "buddy" or "chief".

First off, when I was a kid, that's what they would call us small fry around the neighborhood.

I am now 50-something, and I don't know you from Adam.  I'm not your drinking or bowling buddy, nor am I your local fire or police chief. 

"Sir", IMHO, is a more mature and proper form of address to a stranger or very distant acquaintance if you don't try to find out and use their actual name.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on March 17, 2022, 02:14:51 PM
Here's one that cropped up today,....again.

When someone who waits on you in a business, and they consistently call you "buddy" or "chief".

First off, when I was a kid, that's what they would call us small fry around the neighborhood.

I am now 50-something, and I don't know you from Adam.  I'm not your drinking or bowling buddy, nor am I your local fire or police chief. 

"Sir", IMHO, is a more mature and proper form of address to a stranger or very distant acquaintance if you don't try to find out and use their actual name.

"Chief"  always sounded like something Toby McGuire's Spider Man would say before I worked on a Navy Base. 

ZLoth

Quote from: thenetwork on March 17, 2022, 02:14:51 PM

What about "boss"? I get that sometimes as well.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

kphoger

Anything's better than "bro".
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.