News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2022, 09:05:31 PM
Use of "smol" for "small." Most often seen on social media.

Smol doesn't mean small.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2022, 09:08:23 PM

Smol doesn't mean small.

I've never seen it used, but every definition I'm seeing online right now says it means small & cute.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 09:40:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2022, 09:08:23 PM

Smol doesn't mean small.

I've never seen it used, but every definition I'm seeing online right now says it means small & cute.

Yeah, the cuteness is the important part of that.

A dime is small but not smol.

A tiger cub is smol but not small.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 08, 2022, 07:43:49 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 05:08:18 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 08, 2022, 04:44:18 PM
My guess is that Martholomew S. Excel programmed MS Excel 0.1 Beta to use some scale where each unit was "yay big" and doesn't have any actual intended correlation to any real-world unit. It's probably just convenient to calculate in whatever logical mess is going on under the hood there. And now they're afraid to change it to an actual useful unit because it will break compatibility with a church treasurer's spreadsheet that was created in 1987 and has been updated continuously ever since.

It's also entirely possible that the fake units were created by Lotus 1-2-3 of all things, and Excel merely emulates them as part of the all-too-successful attempt to usurp Lotus's position as the most popular spreadsheet program on the market. (It's weird thinking that that was the sort of thing companies did back in the days when people bought software.)

I know that church treasurer.  She's actually using Lotus 1-2-3.

She must be related to the 87-year-old computer teacher I had sophomore year of high school who still kept track of grades on an Apple II in 2007.

There's a Commodore 64C in Gdansk, Poland, that was still running an auto repair shop in 2016. In 2015, a Commodore Amiga was running the HVAC for 19 Grand Rapids Public Schools buildings. It was set to be replaced if a millage passed that year.

DenverBrian

Use of "loose" for "lose." 99% of the time, the word you're looking for is "lose."

kphoger

Putting an s at the end of store names for no reason.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2022, 10:02:49 AM

Yes.

Jewel's and Kroger's, to name but two.

kphoger

When I restore-down a window and it disappears off the edge of my screen.

Just today, I finally figured out how to move it without being able to click on it.
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

When I have the second monitor turned off, and programs insist on opening on it. Or also, when  I can't find the mouse cursor because I've somehow moved it onto the turned-off second monitor.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 10, 2022, 04:39:55 PM
When I have the second monitor turned off, and programs insist on opening on it. Or also, when  I can't find the mouse cursor because I've somehow moved it onto the turned-off second monitor.

Have you ever started up your computer, and it thought the left screen was the right screen and vice versa?  That's fun!
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Illinoi's

hbelkins

The S in Illinois is flat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

kkt

ZLoth

One of the things that bothers me with the streaming video services and the mobile apps is the lack of an Audio-only playback mode. Many of the older television shows and movies are essentially "filmed stage plays", and if you close your eyes, you can still pick up most of the dialogue and audio "hints" much like a radio play. This is useful when you are in a low-bandwidth area or are driving and need to concentrate on the road. I even put this in as Plex Feature Request.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

bulldog1979

Quote from: ZLoth on June 12, 2022, 03:09:38 AM
One of the things that bothers me with the streaming video services and the mobile apps is the lack of an Audio-only playback mode. Many of the older television shows and movies are essentially "filmed stage plays", and if you close your eyes, you can still pick up most of the dialogue and audio "hints" much like a radio play. This is useful when you are in a low-bandwidth area or are driving and need to concentrate on the road. I even put this in as Plex Feature Request.

That reminds me of the fact that the audio portion of analog TV channel 6 can be picked up on the radio at 87.7 FM. We used to listen to our local station in the car when the news was airing.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: bulldog1979 on June 12, 2022, 05:36:39 AM

That reminds me of the fact that the audio portion of analog TV channel 6 can be picked up on the radio at 87.7 FM. We used to listen to our local station in the car when the news was airing.

not so much nowadays, thanks to digital tv.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

mgk920

Caling it (even on posted signs) 'Railroad tracks' (plural) when there is only one of them.

:spin:

mike

Max Rockatansky

News agencies using the phrase "semi-automatic handgun."   Would they go into such overly descriptive detail as "single-action handgun"  if a Colt SAA/M1873 was used?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 12, 2022, 11:33:37 AMNews agencies using the phrase "semi-automatic handgun."   Would they go into such overly descriptive detail as "single-action handgun"  if a Colt SAA/M1873 was used?

I looked up the Wikipedia article on pistols after the last mention on this forum of how TV stations, etc. handle "semi-automatic" handguns, and it appears there are definitions that compete according to whether they include revolvers and derringers.  In the absence of details about the specific weapon, I tend to visualize a magazine-fed pistol with a slide (either full-size like a Browning Hi-Power/Colt M1911/Glock 17 or compact like a Glock 19/Walther PPK/FN Model 1910).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 12, 2022, 11:44:49 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 12, 2022, 11:33:37 AMNews agencies using the phrase "semi-automatic handgun."   Would they go into such overly descriptive detail as "single-action handgun"  if a Colt SAA/M1873 was used?

I looked up the Wikipedia article on pistols after the last mention on this forum of how TV stations, etc. handle "semi-automatic" handguns, and it appears there are definitions that compete according to whether they include revolvers and derringers.  In the absence of details about the specific weapon, I tend to visualize a magazine-fed pistol with a slide (either full-size like a Browning Hi-Power/Colt M1911/Glock 17 or compact like a Glock 19/Walther PPK/FN Model 1910).

Right, which is why add the vague terminology "handgun"  is even more odd if you aren't going to be specific about the kind of firearm used.  Just saying "handgun"  or "revolver"  and leaving it at that would be a lot more fitting as catch all terms.  Like you said, when someone says "semi-automatic handgun"  what springs to mind is a magazine fed firearm.

1995hoo

Quote from: bulldog1979 on June 12, 2022, 05:36:39 AM

XM carries the audio feed for a couple of cable TV channels (CNN and FOX News come to mind), but listening to them in the car is weird because of the times when the person speaking refers to what you can see on the screen.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: mgk920 on June 12, 2022, 11:27:46 AM
Caling it (even on posted signs) 'Railroad tracks' (plural) when there is only one of them.

mike

To distinguish that pair of tracks from a monorail?   :confused:

DTComposer

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 10, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Yes.

Jewel's and Kroger's, to name but two.

Nordstrom is the one I hear get this treatment a lot, and almost universally - I'm guessing because so many of the other similar department stores (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.) do have the s.

Quote from: mgk920 on June 12, 2022, 11:27:46 AM

mike

I hadn't thought about this before, and from I've now read I can understand some ambiguity. Consensus seems to be track (singular) refers to the physical path - the trail, road, or railroad; and tracks (plural) is what is left by whom/whatever uses that path (as in "to make tracks" or animal tracks). Couple this with the visual of a pair of rails and multiple ties, and I can see where people tend towards the plural.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.