News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 01:06:50 PM
The water still gets out when you open the door to get out though.

Turn it off ahead of time, then.   :bigass:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

That type of shower door is common in Sleep Inns.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 01:06:50 PMThe water still gets out when you open the door to get out though.

Not if the door opens inward and is located well to the side of the nozzle.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2024, 09:50:31 AM
I suppose that annoys me less in a hotel room than it would at home, of course

So . . . grab a nearby towel to soak up the water, then just leave it on the floor for someone else to deal with . . . isn't an acceptable solution in your house?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2024, 01:18:39 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 01:06:50 PMThe water still gets out when you open the door to get out though.

But, unless you're built like kphoger, most of the time the inward opening doors prevent you from exiting the shower.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2024, 01:19:24 PM

So . . . grab a nearby towel to soak up the water, then just leave it on the floor for someone else to deal with . . . isn't an acceptable solution in your house?

Something tells me the Wife Acceptance Factor for the boldfaced would be around zero.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 01:21:36 PM
But, unless you're built like kphoger, most of the time the inward opening doors prevent you from exiting the shower.

Fortunately, you are.  And Jonathan's not exactly fat either.  No idea about Mister 1995hoo, though...
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 01:21:36 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2024, 01:18:39 PM

This is why "door . . . located well to the side of the nozzle" is an important qualifier.  In the shower I use on a daily basis, the door sill is actually built out well beyond the shower alcove so that the door opens to the inside without crowding a person (of whatever size) in the booth.  However, this is the result of custom tile work.

There are prefabricated fiberglass shower booths you (or a contractor) can buy that generally have a square footprint that is just large enough to accommodate one person and a door that opens outward.  I suspect that is what hotels or motels typically install, because they are cheap.  Cleaning up the resulting messes on the floor just outside the shower then becomes a wage slave's problem.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2024, 01:54:52 PM
There are prefabricated fiberglass shower booths you (or a contractor) can buy that generally have a square footprint that is just large enough to accommodate one person and a door that opens outward.  I suspect that is what hotels or motels typically install, because they are cheap.  Cleaning up the resulting messes on the floor just outside the shower then becomes a wage slave's problem.

The "resulting messes" are really just water, though.  And, at a hotel, that "wage slave" (a term that you have just used to characterize my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, who have both cleaned hotels and other vacation properties for a living for many years) will be cleaning the floor anyway.  So, really, what reason is there at all for a hotel to try and mitigate little puddles of shower water on the bathroom floor?
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2024, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2024, 01:54:52 PM

The "resulting messes" are really just water, though.  And, at a hotel, that "wage slave" (a term that you have just used to characterize my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, who have both cleaned hotels and other vacation properties for a living for many years) will be cleaning the floor anyway.  So, really, what reason is there at all for a hotel to try and mitigate little puddles of shower water on the bathroom floor?

I would think that for small drips of water, it's no big deal at all; that's what the bathmat is for. But for the larger puddles, I figure that there's a greater chance of water seeping into corners which create more mildew and rot, which would accelerate the need to maintain or replace bathroom fixtures. Since "one man's ceiling is another man's floor", this literally would have a cascading effect. I can't stand getting hotel showers like that; at least 1-2 times a year I get something which floods half of a bathroom floor in a mere 10 minutes. Usually, it's rouge shower curtain that insists on staying open, but I've found that tying a washcloth in a simple knot solves that problem.

The design which really drives me up a wall are the curtain-less showers which might have a partial glass wall, and limited to no way to adjust the showerhead angle. These showers never collect all of the water satisfactorily, though some better than others.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2024, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2024, 01:19:24 PM

Something tells me the Wife Acceptance Factor for the boldfaced would be around zero.

Depends on who's week it is to do wash the towels.

Scott5114

The shower in my bathroom in the house I grew up in had a shower with a door and I don't remember ever having this problem. I'm not sure why not (and don't really feel like asking my parents if I can look at it for the sake of a forum post), but a couple of factors may have been that the shower floor is six inches or so below the bathroom floor's level, and that the opening edge was on the same side as the shower head (e.g. the hinges were on the back wall of the shower), such that to hit that edge of the door the water would have to make an 90° left turn immediately after exiting the nozzle.

I also imagine one could reduce water exiting the shower by applying weatherstripping.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dvferyance

Quote from: kkt on January 08, 2024, 06:07:02 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 08, 2024, 05:30:30 PM
That we are likely going to have a 3rd straight Presidential election with 2 really old candidates.

Hillary Clinton was 69 in 2016.  That's not really old, by presidential standards.
It may seem that way now with Trump at 78 and Biden at 82 come election day 2024 but at the time it was old. What is really going to be strange is whoever wins the 2024 election will be older than the winner of the 1992 election. Has that ever been the case for an election 32 years apart before?

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on January 10, 2024, 08:25:36 PM
That we are likely going to have a 3rd straight Presidential election with 2 really old candidates.

Hillary Clinton was 69 in 2016.  That's not really old, by presidential standards.
It may seem that way now with Trump at 78 and Biden at 82 come election day 2024 but at the time it was old. What is really going to be strange is whoever wins the 2024 election will be older than the winner of the 1992 election. Has that ever been the case for an election 32 years apart before?

..."and I promise to not make an issue out of my opponent's age and inexperience!"  (Ronald Reagan at the start of a live televised debate against Walter Mondale before the 1984 election).

Mike

dlsterner

Quote from: dvferyance on January 10, 2024, 08:25:36 PM

Doubtful.  Prior to Ronald Reagan, the oldest elected president was William Henry Harrison, who was 68 (and who died after only one month).  Otherwise the oldest elected presidents were in their early 60s, with the youngest elected president being John Kennedy at 43.  It seems to follow that a 32 year range as suggested could not have happened.  The most extreme case in that era seems to be Reagan being older than Kennedy despite being elected 20 years later.

Keep in mind that the major party candidates for 2024 are presumptive - any number of things can happen between now and November.

roadman65

Teddy Roosevelt was younger than JFK.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

He was, but he took over the office whenever President McKinley was killed. The voters never had a chance to weigh in on if he should be President or not at that age.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

On a tangent, Al Capone was controlling all organized crime in Chicago when he was 33...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

An ad just came up on YouTube that started off with "It's 2023, and if you're not..."
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Boxer briefs. Why are they so popular? They have taken over from regular briefs on store racks. Boxer briefs are everywhere; regular briefs are increasingly difficult to find. I despise those things. I've tried them, and can't stand wearing them. They bunch up around the leg openings and are generally uncomfortable.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2024, 03:33:47 PM
Boxer briefs. Why are they so popular? They have taken over from regular briefs on store racks. Boxer briefs are everywhere; regular briefs are increasingly difficult to find. I despise those things. I've tried them, and can't stand wearing them. They bunch up around the leg openings and are generally uncomfortable.

Minor things that bother me - tightie whities.

I just don't want to look like Walter White in the first season of Breaking Bad.

kphoger

We should all just switch to unbifurcated garments exclusively.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on January 11, 2024, 06:57:26 AMOn a tangent, Al Capone was controlling all organized crime in Chicago when he was 33...

Total control of what later became the Outfit . . . and he couldn't get Salvarsan?

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 11, 2024, 04:35:28 PMMinor things that bother me - tightie whities.

I just don't want to look like Walter White in the first season of Breaking Bad.

Walter White isn't a great model for that particular form factor.  What about the French beaches that allow Speedos only?

(I actually Googled Marky Mark and had a Mandela effect moment of my own.  I was under the impression he modeled traditional briefs for Calvin Klein, but the only ads I've found that show the entire undergarment are for boxer briefs--in fact, I think their current popularity owes much to him.)

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2024, 04:46:18 PMWe should all just switch to unbifurcated garments exclusively.

It's a shame philibegs don't play nice with the Kansas wind, getting in and out of automobiles, etc.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2024, 03:33:47 PM

My take is that boxer briefs are best for casual/everyday wear while regular briefs are better for formal/dress wear.

Boxer briefs are supposed to be relatively close fitting to prevent bunching, but it's also important that the legs are long enough or bunching may still occur. I've found bunching to be a much bigger issue with true boxer shorts, to the point where I will not consider wearing them underneath another layer, i.e. they are for sleepwear/loungewear only.

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 11, 2024, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 11, 2024, 06:57:26 AMOn a tangent, Al Capone was controlling all organized crime in Chicago when he was 33...

Total control of what later became the Outfit . . . and he couldn't get Salvarsan?

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 11, 2024, 04:35:28 PMMinor things that bother me - tightie whities.

Walter White isn't a great model for that particular form factor.  What about the French beaches that allow Speedos only?

Speaking as someone from a younger generation, tightie whities seem very old fashioned to me. I do own some briefs, but not in white.

Regarding French beaches, I had a general awareness of differing attitudes towards swimwear in Europe vs. the US, but I did not know Speedos-only was a thing. It is apparently done for hygienic reasons with the idea being that Speedos will not be worn elsewhere, whereas regular swim trunks might be (and certainly are here in the US - especially the quick drying/activewear shorts that easily double as all day wear).

thenetwork

Here's another pet peeve of mine:  Drinking Water Fountains.

You go up to use one, turn it on, and the water flow is so low you'd have to literally suck on the spigot to get any decent amount.

And the building or business never attempts to have a plumber come out increase the flow/pressure or clear any clogs that may be inside.

Or worse yet...A store or building that has multiple fountains next to each other and ALL have the same flow or pressure problems!!!

GaryV

^ It's either that, or they shoot so high the water goes up your nose.

Regarding boxers, they're supposedly good for fertility compared to briefs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.