News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: ZLoth on January 28, 2024, 12:03:39 PM
Also, and I'm looking at several people on this forum.... nested quotes. Can you exercise some editing discretion and cut out all but the most relevant pieces of the comment you are quoting?

I've been asking that for 10+ years now, but it's just shouting into the void.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2024, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 28, 2024, 03:58:22 PM
You still HAVE staffed lanes?  Many stores here have gotten rid of them completely or only staff them on extraordinarily busy days (Thanksgiving week).  Everybody has to become their own checker, whether they are clue-full or wanted to or not.

That's not the case here in Upstate NY... at least not yet. Most grocery stores have 6-12 self-checkouts but plenty of old school lanes too. Wegmans often has long lines at the self checkouts AND 10+ regular lanes open with lines too. I can't imagine how many self-checkouts they would need to eliminate the regular lanes completely.
Wegmans annoyingly keeps its self checkout to a limited number of items.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AABattery

Another thing that annoys me where I am, and this is more directed at the college kids but,

PLEASE at least try to learn how roundabouts work!!!!!!
Additionally, for you from Jersey, not all roundabouts function like they do up there! "Not all" being none that I've seen outside of Jersey!

I'm so sick of seeing people just stop in the middle of roundabouts because they think it all runs like it does in NJ where a lot of them are like that! Or people who can't tell the difference between a "Yield" Sign and a Stop Sign!

Also, friendly reminder to PLEASE turn on your headlights at night, even in town! And no, DRLs don't suffice! It's gotten to a point where I swear at least every 5th or so car doesn't have any lights on at night, and it's dangerous as hell. I've even seen someone ride a motorcycle here with no lights on!

Anyways rant over
- AABattery :)

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

Avatar is my most recent clinched route

SSOWorld

The NFL broadcasts self-promoting their halftime and post-game analysis segments.  They name drop every one of the analysts and overdo the promotion every single ****ing time and I really hate it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on January 28, 2024, 07:08:55 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2024, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 28, 2024, 03:58:22 PM
You still HAVE staffed lanes?  Many stores here have gotten rid of them completely or only staff them on extraordinarily busy days (Thanksgiving week).  Everybody has to become their own checker, whether they are clue-full or wanted to or not.

That's not the case here in Upstate NY... at least not yet. Most grocery stores have 6-12 self-checkouts but plenty of old school lanes too. Wegmans often has long lines at the self checkouts AND 10+ regular lanes open with lines too. I can't imagine how many self-checkouts they would need to eliminate the regular lanes completely.
Wegmans annoyingly keeps its self checkout to a limited number of items.
Not sure if you saw what I wrote in my earlier post (re: self-checkout items limited to 20 in my area due to thefts that have occurred) since I sort of buried it at the end of the post.

roadman65

Quote from: AABattery on January 28, 2024, 07:17:34 PM
Another thing that annoys me where I am, and this is more directed at the college kids but,

Additionally, for you from Jersey, not all roundabouts function like they do up there! "Not all" being none that I've seen outside of Jersey!

I'm so sick of seeing people just stop in the middle of roundabouts because they think it all runs like it does in NJ where a lot of them are like that! Or people who can't tell the difference between a "Yield" Sign and a Stop Sign!

Also, friendly reminder to PLEASE turn on your headlights at night, even in town! And no, DRLs don't suffice! It's gotten to a point where I swear at least every 5th or so car doesn't have any lights on at night, and it's dangerous as hell. I've even seen someone ride a motorcycle here with no lights on!

Anyways rant
over

Blame the auto makers for having 24/7 dashboard lights instead of them like they used to be to only go on with the headlights.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan has to keep reminding everybody in his commercials that He is America's Largest Personal Injury Firm. So you're the largest. Why keep boasting?

Why not just state your business and leave it at that. To me ( and I'm sure many other folks) we appreciate people being humble as self builders seem to appear phony even if that person is the best. 

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Pounding the self-checkout horse again:

• When the attendant is free when I get to the checkout station, but when I need assistance (something goes awry, age check for alcohol, etc.) inevitably he/she is busy assisting someone else, often needing to take several minutes, and often other shoppers are waiting before me.
  • After I self-scan coupons, it all stops until the attendant collects my coupons to match them to what scanned and then he/she keeps them.  I get this is how they prevent coupons from being reused, but there's gotta be a better way if I have to check myself out.  They've got bill acceptors that can scan bills, reject invalid ones, and keep the good ones; why can't they do that for coupons?

kkt

I do a grocery run roughly every week.  I will never be even close to as fast as a checker who runs the register 30-40 hours a week.  I don't know offhand where the barcodes are on every product or the tricks to make them scan if they don't want to.  Let the checkers check.  I'm happy to bag and I can usually keep up with a checker.

AABattery

Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 08:04:20 PM

Anyways rant
over

Blame the auto makers for having 24/7 dashboard lights instead of them like they used to be to only go on with the headlights.

That's true, like they shouldn't have those imo. Honestly a lot of the new tech like rear view cameras and having a tablet in your car and basically making the car more a computer than a car is just dumb imo.

I like cars from the 1990s-Early 2010s though like mine because they have just the amount of stuff I like while still being somewhat simple.

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

AABattery

Quote from: kkt on January 28, 2024, 09:22:00 PM
I do a grocery run roughly every week.  I will never be even close to as fast as a checker who runs the register 30-40 hours a week.  I don't know offhand where the barcodes are on every product or the tricks to make them scan if they don't want to.  Let the checkers check.  I'm happy to bag and I can usually keep up with a checker.

That and also too the self-checkout machines at some stores *cough cough, Kroger* are slower than I am, and I've occasionally been flagged for going too fast to where they think I'm stealing stuff  :-D

Counties Visited

Traveled Routes

elsmere241

When I have to move the antenna and reset the TV so I can catch the end of the game.

1995hoo

Businesses that card everyone, no exceptions. Grow up. One look at me and it'll be blatantly obvious to you that I'm well above age 21 (I have enough grey hair that you should be able to tell I'm around age 50). I remember once a restaurant refused to serve my grandmother, who was around 80 years old at the time and looked it, because she didn't carry an ID. The first time Wegmans carded me (or "proofed" me, as their sign calls it), I found it amusing. Now I just find it utterly stupid.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: AABattery on January 28, 2024, 09:23:12 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 08:04:20 PM

Anyways rant
over

That's true, like they shouldn't have those imo. Honestly a lot of the new tech like rear view cameras and having a tablet in your car and basically making the car more a computer than a car is just dumb imo.

I like cars from the 1990s-Early 2010s though like mine because they have just the amount of stuff I like while still being somewhat simple.

At one time added features were an option especially power windows. Cranks were the norm and power windows were extra. If you wanted additional features it was a luxury and you had to pay extra unless you had a Lincoln or Cadillac in which those makes were luxury as to own them you had to have a handsome salary to first afford one.  Now all the luxuries are standard, but the maintenance is still extra once they break down.  Our wonderful corporate and government hierarchy made sure that every citizen is entitled to luxury items and all people should be able to live prosperous and not obtain extra items for extra money, so we are stuck with junk luxury items that we could be without.

Do we really need power windows? Do we really need a computer?  Considering marketing agencies and other shady characters are using the computer to track your every moves and shopping habits to suit their purposes, it's really turning us into targets and doing away with the privacy our founding fathers ensured us in the Constitution.

Sheryl Crowe

tmoore952

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 28, 2024, 09:14:31 PM

• When the attendant is free when I get to the checkout station, but when I need assistance (something goes awry, age check for alcohol, etc.) inevitably he/she is busy assisting someone else, often needing to take several minutes, and often other shoppers are waiting before me.
  • After I self-scan coupons, it all stops until the attendant collects my coupons to match them to what scanned and then he/she keeps them.  I get this is how they prevent coupons from being reused, but there's gotta be a better way if I have to check myself out.  They've got bill acceptors that can scan bills, reject invalid ones, and keep the good ones; why can't they do that for coupons?
At my store you have to deposit the coupons into the scanner (immediately after scanning) via a opening that has some kind of sensor in it. Otherwise you don't get credit.   (and no I do not know if the sensor can be defeated, not that I'd try anyway)

tmoore952

I remember my uncle from Ohio visiting us in 1972 (I was 5) and they had power windows (not cranks). Very cool for a five year old.
All of their kids were 10+ years older than me, so power windows were not a safety issue for them, as it would have been for me at the time (which I realize now).

roadman65

Self checkouts are being like the phone trees, they're also taking away from human interaction like the phone trees did with customer service over the phone, now is doing the same at the store.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 28, 2024, 10:08:00 PM

At my store you have to deposit the coupons into the scanner (immediately after scanning) via a opening that has some kind of sensor in it. Otherwise you don't get credit.   (and no I do not know if the sensor can be defeated, not that I'd try anyway)

They are very easily defeated, which is why the clerks need to review and take the coupons.  You can stick any piece of paper in there, or even stick the coupon in and pull it back out, and the machine accepts them.

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2024, 10:26:08 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on January 28, 2024, 10:08:00 PM

They are very easily defeated, which is why the clerks need to review and take the coupons.  You can stick any piece of paper in there, or even stick the coupon in and pull it back out, and the machine accepts them.
Well they don't review and take them here.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 10:07:08 PM
... doing away with the privacy our founding fathers ensured us in the Constitution.

Have you ever actually read the Constitution?

roadman65

Yes I know what's in it. A lot of privacy though was implied over what was said as in History class it was taught our nation was founded on the expectation of privacy and was both directly or indirectly stated in the Constitution.

An example would be the original Roe v. Wade as Justice Blackmund said that the denial of the Abortion is unconstitutional even though no article in the constitution mentions or talks about abortion rights.  He made his decision based that the constitution provides privacy to all including women and that preventing the mother to choose the baby's fate is denying that very privacy given to all Americans in that document.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 10:38:52 PM
Yes I know what's in it. A lot of privacy though was implied over what was said as in History class it was taught our nation was founded on the expectation of privacy and was both directly or indirectly stated in the Constitution.

An example would be the original Roe v. Wade as Justice Blackmund said that the denial of the Abortion is unconstitutional even though no article in the constitution mentions or talks about abortion rights.  He made his decision based that the constitution provides privacy to all including women and that preventing the mother to choose the baby's fate is denying that very privacy given to all Americans in that document.
The interpretation of a "right to privacy" came centuries after the Founding Fathers...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

I have already been seeing reports of retailers (such as Walmart) eliminating self-checkouts in some locations due to excessive 'shrink' losses.

Mike

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on January 28, 2024, 11:13:14 PM

The interpretation of a "right to privacy" came centuries after the Founding Fathers...

If there's any topic that is likely to get a thread locked, the one roadman65 raised in that comment has to be either at or near the top of the list. I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 29, 2024, 07:45:09 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 28, 2024, 11:13:14 PM

If there's any topic that is likely to get a thread locked, the one roadman65 raised in that comment has to be either at or near the top of the list. I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole.
Good thing we're talking about the right to privacy, then (although I see what you're saying).

Come to think of it, the right to privacy is a minor thing that bothers me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.