News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2024, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 05:19:57 PMI normally shower every other day because I'd like the lake to keep having water in it.

Perhaps you should live somewhere where the fluid your life depends on is more dependable.

Did that for 33 years, got called "filth" by the government, so I left. I would rather just cut back on my water usage and enjoy a whole bunch of civil rights I've never got to have before.

Besides, I don't have to mow the yard ever again, so nyah.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 11:15:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2024, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 05:19:57 PMI normally shower every other day because I'd like the lake to keep having water in it.

Perhaps you should live somewhere where the fluid your life depends on is more dependable.

Did that for 33 years, got called "filth" by the government, so I left. I would rather just cut back on my water usage and enjoy a whole bunch of civil rights I've never got to have before.

Besides, I don't have to mow the yard ever again, so nyah.

I suppose you do have the right to stink.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Doesn't the Las Vegas metro area have an extremely effective water recycling system?

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2024, 12:18:40 AMDoesn't the Las Vegas metro area have an extremely effective water recycling system?

Yes, it does, although some loss as water cycles through the system due to evaporation, leaks, etc. is to be expected.

vdeane

The enshitification of YouTube continues.  They've gotten rid of the option to disable autoplay, so if you don't want the video to advance, you have to catch it at the end (and they decreased the countdown to three seconds; I think they used to give 7-10).  Since I often use YouTube to listen to music while doing other things or have a video playing picture in picture, I often won't see the countdown until it's already too late.

Are they trying to drive people away from the platform?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on May 02, 2024, 09:33:13 PMThe enshitification of YouTube continues.  They've gotten rid of the option to disable autoplay, so if you don't want the video to advance, you have to catch it at the end (and they decreased the countdown to three seconds; I think they used to give 7-10).  Since I often use YouTube to listen to music while doing other things or have a video playing picture in picture, I often won't see the countdown until it's already too late.

Eventually the only thing left on the Internet will be a green button that says "Pay money".

hotdogPi

For me, while the autoplay option is removed, it acts like it's off.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: vdeane on May 02, 2024, 09:33:13 PMThe enshitification of YouTube continues.  They've gotten rid of the option to disable autoplay, so if you don't want the video to advance, you have to catch it at the end (and they decreased the countdown to three seconds; I think they used to give 7-10).  Since I often use YouTube to listen to music while doing other things or have a video playing picture in picture, I often won't see the countdown until it's already too late.

Honest question. Is there a reason that you can't just switch videos once you are hearing something you didn't select? I don't view it a lot different than changing the radio station if a song comes on that I don't like.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2024, 08:56:04 AM

Honest question. Is there a reason that you can't just switch videos once you are hearing something you didn't select? I don't view it a lot different than changing the radio station if a song comes on that I don't like.

It takes several seconds for me to get to a specific window since I have a bunch open.

In addition, there's also the possibility that the new video is much louder than the previous one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SEWIGuy

I mean, I like autoplay. I usually use Youtube as my background music at work and its just easy.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 03, 2024, 09:01:05 AM

It takes several seconds for me to get to a specific window since I have a bunch open.

In addition, there's also the possibility that the new video is much louder than the previous one.

The volume thing I get. But, several seconds of unintentional listening just doesn't bother me that much I guess. Often because of auto play, I've found other music/topics that I really like that I wouldn't have without it.

J N Winkler

I don't like autoplay, either.  While it's partly a control issue for me, it is also inconvenient.  Since I don't use YouTube that much, I am more likely to watch a video through to the end and then scroll back to re-watch snippets of it.  If YouTube has already moved on to a different video, going back to the original clip involves additional steps.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I most frequently use YouTube on mobile. It usually plays an ad at the beginning of the video it changed to, and then when I switch it to the video I actually want to watch next, I have to sit through another ad.
There are some situations in which it gives me a free pass on the second ad, but the behavior is so inconsistent that I've never been able to figure out how to replicate it.

I have adblock on desktop, so it's not a problem there.

vdeane

Link taxes need to die.  Governments keep claiming they're to prevent social media for leeching off journalism, but in reality it goes against how the internet works and is solely motivated by old-style media sources upset that the days of everyone and their dog having a subscription to a newspaper or two and getting all their news from said newspaper are long gone.  They don't like that people have gotten used to picking and choosing what articles to read based on whatever is interesting in the moment, and as such each article needs to be able to compete on its own, they can't rely on their reputation in aggregate any more.

And if I want to read the comments?  Or listen to the song again later (music is my stimming)?  Plus I'm usually listening to music with headphones since I like it louder than I could play in my apartment without risking a noise complaint, and having something I didn't choose while I have things set up that way is really annoying.

Also what Scott said about ads.  My browser has an adblocker built in (on mobile, even), but said adblocker stopped working on YouTube a couple weeks ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

I'm still not seeing what all of you are seeing. I'm logged in. Even though I don't have the option, it's off for me, and there's a button (the second leftmost, between play/pause and volume) that moves to the next video. Using Safari's private browsing so I'm not logged in, the autoplay slider still exists.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

vdeane

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 03, 2024, 09:30:17 PMI'm still not seeing what all of you are seeing. I'm logged in. Even though I don't have the option, it's off for me, and there's a button (the second leftmost, between play/pause and volume) that moves to the next video. Using Safari's private browsing so I'm not logged in, the autoplay slider still exists.
It thankfully reappeared today.  Hopefully permanently, but it's Google, so 50/50 on whether it's a bug or a new "feature" rollout.

I pretty much do all my YouTube watching in private browsing, so no idea what it would do if I was signed in.  As far as I'm concerned, the account is for favorites and subscriptions, not for Google to try to "personalize" my experience.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2024, 09:25:06 PMLink taxes need to die.  Governments keep claiming they're to prevent social media for leeching off journalism, but in reality it goes against how the internet works and is solely motivated by old-style media sources upset that the days of everyone and their dog having a subscription to a newspaper or two and getting all their news from said newspaper are long gone.  They don't like that people have gotten used to picking and choosing what articles to read based on whatever is interesting in the moment, and as such each article needs to be able to compete on its own, they can't rely on their reputation in aggregate any more.
Don't get me started on the government of Canada making it law, which means that in the case of Facebook where they block links to Canadian media, fake news spread much more easily.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2024, 10:05:38 PMnot for Google to try to "personalize" my experience.

Google won't personalize your experience if you turn the personalization options off. When I go to the base youtube.com page, it tells me my watch history is off instead of suggesting videos, As for ads on various websites, it very frequently serves me ads outside by age demographic, and I've gotten a few for bras despite being male.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

1995hoo

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 04, 2024, 07:06:45 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2024, 10:05:38 PMnot for Google to try to "personalize" my experience.

Google won't personalize your experience if you turn the personalization options off. When I go to the base youtube.com page, it tells me my watch history is off instead of suggesting videos, As for ads on various websites, it very frequently serves me ads outside by age demographic, and I've gotten a few for bras despite being male.

Heh, a former colleague used to complain about how the spammers couldn't decide which sex he was because he got both "enlarge your penis now" and "get bigger breasts" type e-mails. I pointed out that in today's world, who's to say the same person wouldn't want both? (This was at least 16 years ago because I left that job in 2008.)

In all seriousness, does any member of the opposite sex ever use your devices? If so, that might be a reason for it. One of the local grocery stores, Giant, will print out coupons at the checkout based on your purchasing history. I've occasionally gotten coupons for "female pads" or similar things and the reason is almost certainly because my wife and I share the same Giant card (so as to maximize the Shell discount points), which means the system doesn't know which of us is shopping at a given time and can't target the coupons accordingly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2024, 08:55:01 AMIn all seriousness, does any member of the opposite sex ever use your devices?

Same wifi, different device. That said, Google knows my age and gender (I've put it in explicitly), and it ignores it for ad purposes. It even said in one spot "here's what we use to choose which ads we show" and the only two items listed were demographics and subject matter of the website I'm on (not my own demographics) and IP-based location, both of which I can confirm it does use.

As an aside, about a decade ago, there was an advertisement for cloud-based something on the Minecraft Wiki page on clouds (the kind you find in the sky).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 04, 2024, 09:25:47 AMSame wifi, different device.

Ennui of our times, simplified.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 04, 2024, 09:25:47 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2024, 08:55:01 AMIn all seriousness, does any member of the opposite sex ever use your devices?

Same wifi, different device. That said, Google knows my age and gender (I've put it in explicitly), and it ignores it for ad purposes. It even said in one spot "here's what we use to choose which ads we show" and the only two items listed were demographics and subject matter of the website I'm on (not my own demographics) and IP-based location, both of which I can confirm it does use.

As an aside, about a decade ago, there was an advertisement for cloud-based something on the Minecraft Wiki page on clouds (the kind you find in the sky).

My wife doesn't have a Facebook account, and just views mine. So we often get varying ads. The only time it's irritating is when something odd starts popping up numerous times, such as something that would appear is the making of a potential present approaching Christmas or birthdays, as they are basing the ads off recent Google searches.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2024, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.

I'm not. It's part of the cost of doing business and should be wrapped into the regular rate.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.