In this city, all US routes are signed the "wrong" way

Started by usends, December 05, 2019, 09:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Someone on the usends.com FB page pointed out that the cardinal directions on all of the US routes in Xenia OH are 90 degrees off from what one would expect based simply on their numbers.  US 35 (ostensibly a north-south route) is signed east-west, while both US 42 and US 68 are signed north-south in Ohio.  Anyone know of other examples like that?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

CNGL-Leudimin

I pointed that on Big Rig Travels chat as we rolled through that area once. In that case I say the US Routes are signed "sideways". I believe something like that happens in Franklin WV: US 33 is signed East-West and US 220 is signed North-South (In fact I believe there is no place along US 220 where it is signed "correctly", i.e. East-West).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 05, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
I pointed that on Big Rig Travels chat as we rolled through that area once.

Did a drive-along with him, did you?  ;)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Some of US 1 in Connecticut is signed east-west, though it's sporadic and not relegated to any particular city or town.

TEG24601

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 05, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
I pointed that on Big Rig Travels chat as we rolled through that area once. In that case I say the US Routes are signed "sideways". I believe something like that happens in Franklin WV: US 33 is signed East-West and US 220 is signed North-South (In fact I believe there is no place along US 220 where it is signed "correctly", i.e. East-West).

I was under the impression that 3-DUs, didn't have to follow the cardinal direction rules, but were signed in the direction they traveled.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

US 89

Montpelier, Idaho is a good example: US 30 runs north-south, US 89 runs east-west.

edit: it looks like I may have read this thread wrong. Are we talking about how the routes are signed, or just in what direction they run?

ClassicHasClass

I guess you could say any of the communities along US 6 from Chalfant, CA to the Nevada border, since US 6 is N/S there.

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/6/u1/#sec_28

usends

Quote from: US 89 on December 05, 2019, 11:40:27 PM
Montpelier, Idaho is a good example: US 30 runs north-south, US 89 runs east-west.
edit: it looks like I may have read this thread wrong. Are we talking about how the routes are signed, or just in what direction they run?
This thread is about the cardinal directions used to sign the US routes.  I'm looking for places like Xenia that have two or more US routes, and each of them are signed perpendicular to the direction implied by the route numbers.

Your example is different, but it's interesting, and it fits into the topic of this thread.

usends

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on December 05, 2019, 11:47:32 PM
I guess you could say any of the communities along US 6 from Chalfant, CA to the Nevada border, since US 6 is N/S there.
http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/6/u1/#sec_28

OK, but along that segment of US 6, are there any intersecting US routes with odd numbers (implying north-south) that are signed east-west?

GaryV

Quote from: usends on December 06, 2019, 10:40:30 AM
// I'm looking for places like Xenia that have two or more US routes, and each of them are signed perpendicular to the direction implied by the route numbers.
//
In fairness, this post is the first in which you state there has to be more than one US route in the city.  I was going to submit any city along US-24 north of Toledo, except for Dearborn which also has US-12 signed in the "correct" direction.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on December 06, 2019, 12:40:04 PM
In fairness, this post is the first in which you state there has to be more than one US route in the city. 

Does the phrase "all US routes" in the topic not imply there's more than one?  Nobody ever says "all one of _______".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.