News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"2020 Election Edition" road atlas

Started by bandit957, December 11, 2019, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Today in the book aisle at Kroger, I saw a Kappa road atlas that had something unusual on the cover. It was labeled "2020 Election Edition." I only flipped through it for a couple seconds and didn't notice what made it an "Election Edition." It just looked like a regular, ordinary road atlas.

What makes it an "Election Edition"? Does the top of each page have a little photo of Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, or Joe Biden blowing a huge bubble with bubble gum?

I probably should have buyed it to find out why it was an "Election Edition."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

oscar

Quote from: bandit957 on December 11, 2019, 04:14:26 PM
Today in the book aisle at Kroger, I saw a Kappa road atlas that had something unusual on the cover. It was labeled "2020 Election Edition." I only flipped through it for a couple seconds and didn't notice what made it an "Election Edition." It just looked like a regular, ordinary road atlas.

What makes it an "Election Edition"? Does the top of each page have a little photo of Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, or Joe Biden blowing a huge bubble with bubble gum?

K(r)appa will do anything to boost its map sales, I guess.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

On November 4, the pages will magically turn Red or Blue.

Rothman

Quote from: GaryV on December 11, 2019, 04:40:41 PM
Like a litmus test!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

The maps are decided by the Electoral College and do not include most cities.

Kniwt

Quote from: bandit957 on December 11, 2019, 04:14:26 PM
What makes it an "Election Edition"?

Someone is already selling one on eBay, and they say this (yawn):
QuoteThe 2020 Atlas includes a special section on US Presidents and White House History.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/North-America-Large-Print-Street-Atlas-2020-Election-Edition-K-/143421830282

Super Mateo

Quote from: GaryV on December 11, 2019, 04:40:41 PM

They'll get FritzOwl'ed with Interstate shields plastered on to every road.

Brandon

So basically, the "Election Edition" over-promises and under-delivers with deliberate misdirections and even flat out lies while hoping for the top atlas office of the land.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on December 12, 2019, 11:22:04 AM
So basically, the "Election Edition" over-promises and under-delivers with deliberate misdirections and even flat out lies while hoping for the top atlas office of the land.

It should be impeached. But it needs two-thirds of this forum to remove it from office.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Bruce on December 12, 2019, 01:48:21 AM

:-D :-D :-D :-D Love it.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

I-27 is clearly the reddest 2di. What would be the bluest 2di? I-97?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

Do you need an ID to buy this atlas? What if I want two?

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

nexus73

Quote from: roadman on December 12, 2019, 01:01:33 PM
MMGA (Make Maps Great Again)!

Bring back Gousha!  Their style looked better to my eyes than Rand McNally's.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on December 12, 2019, 01:48:21 AM

On the other hand, rural areas finally receive the decent treatment they've been lacking.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: 1 on December 12, 2019, 12:03:33 PM

Otherwise-blue Maryland has a Republican governor. How about I-88 (both of them)? Or I-82?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bandit957

Quote from: oscar on December 12, 2019, 04:38:57 PM

Otherwise-blue Maryland has a Republican governor. How about I-88 (both of them)? Or I-82?

Besides, does I-97 even enter any cities?

formulanone

Iowa and New Hampshire take up eight pages apiece.

SectorZ

Quote from: formulanone on December 12, 2019, 04:42:01 PM

This is the perfect comment to satisfy my rage towards the system in question...

SectorZ

Don't confuse a state overall and the regions of those states the interstates reside.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Also...

Florida's map is no longer made of 100% recycled hanging chads.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on December 12, 2019, 04:42:01 PM

And they sell you the atlas in installments based on the primary schedule.  So you won't get Nevada until after you've left on your early summer road trip.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

Probably the most accurate way to calculate this would be taking the average Cook PVI of the territory the road runs through. The best way to handle it would probably be to do it on a per-Congressional district basis. This gives I-27 a PVI of R+30. Short of using GIS, though, that seems like it would get tiresome very quickly, particularly with roads that run through cities with many Congressional districts and heavily gerrymandered areas.

Fortunately, Wikipedia has a PVI by state table. However, that would imply that I-27 (using Texas's statewide R+8) is not as red as I-44 (R+12), because I-44 runs through Oklahoma (R+20), even though I-27 runs through R+33 and R+27 districts, quite a bit redder than even Oklahoma's statewide total.

I am not going to try to touch the "bluest 2di" question because I don't have the patience for it, but I suspect that I-97 is high up there, because it looks like most of the Maryland Congressional districts in the vicinity are in the D+20 to 30 range. I-88 IL passes through some Republican districts that would bring its average down.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: bandit957 on December 12, 2019, 04:39:41 PM

Besides, does I-97 even enter any cities?

Wouldn't I-5 qualify? All 3 states it traverses are fairly blue to say the least.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.