News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Because GOAT

Started by empirestate, January 14, 2020, 11:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

For those of you who were watching on the telly tonight...one of our forum members is due some congratulations, it would seem. (And I note some added significance to the last reply in this thread here...)  :clap:  :sombrero:  :clap:

mrsman

Reading that thread gave me chills, bugo predicting Shakespeare and then shakespeare actually being the category.

(like Simpsons predicting Trump presidency, who would have thunk it?)

It was a wonderful tournament and really good TV.

FWIW, I also guessed Horatio like James, so I was in good company, even though I was ultimately wrong.

I also applaud Ken Jennings for actually posting on this forum, even though his time here was brief.  And using his full real name and identifying himself, even though he is a minor celebrity.  He got some info for his book and then moved on.  Even though he has a small amount of interest in maps and atlases.  I'm sure given his breadth of trivia knowledge, he had multiple interests and couldn't dedicate more time to the forum.

I also want to congratulate ABC for hosting this show and doing it at the right time.  As Alex trebeck is sick, having this show know, and given prime time slot, is a fitting tribute and very entertaining.

Scott5114

I didn't get a chance to watch the tournament, but a few people brought it up in conversation with me (I'm a known game show nerd), and I said I was rooting for Ken because of his membership here.

I've always hoped Ken would succeed Trebek as host, but I have no idea if they're actually considering that or not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 16, 2020, 02:25:33 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2020, 01:46:07 AM
I didn't get a chance to watch the tournament, but a few people brought it up in conversation with me (I'm a known game show nerd), and I said I was rooting for Ken because of his membership here.

I've always hoped Ken would succeed Trebek as host, but I have no idea if they're actually considering that or not.
I honestly think that it would be up to Trebek or the show-runners to decide what to do next. As much as I'd like Ken Jennings to host...

In the Jeopardy behind-the-scenes show Michael Strahan hosted just before the GOAT series aired, I believe Alex said the decision for his successor would not be up to him. Whomever it ends up being, I don't envy them...there's going to be very high expectations to have to live up to.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

So what is this GOAT thing?  I was thinking it happen something to do with the Magical Land of Destiny before opening this thread up. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2020, 02:17:46 PM
So what is this GOAT thing?  I was thinking it happen something to do with the Magical Land of Destiny before opening this thread up.

/insert Brady/Jennings jokes here

hotdogPi

To actually answer the question, it means Greatest Of All Time. I was also confused at first when Tom Brady was being called a goat about a year ago.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on January 17, 2020, 02:26:08 PM
To actually answer the question, it means Greatest Of All Time. I was also confused at first when Tom Brady was being called a goat about a year ago.

Ah...now that seemingly random picture of Tom Brady hugging a goat makes sense. 

hbelkins

I think it's funny that the same term, although capitalized vs. lower case, can mean two entirely different things. A "goat" is someone who does something like miss a game-winning chip-shot field goal or look at a called third strike with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, but a "GOAT" is anything but a failure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2020, 02:36:20 PM

I think it's funny that the same term, although capitalized vs. lower case, can mean two entirely different things. A "goat" is someone who does something like miss a game-winning chip-shot field goal or look at a called third strike with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, but a "GOAT" is anything but a failure.

What I've never understood is what a "goat"  denoted someone who is a loser or somehow chokes in the context of sports completion.  There is nothing about actual goats and their behavior that would draw that imagine in my mind.  In that line of thought there isn't anything about the behavior of a chicken that really could be construed as cowardly.  Chickens can be pretty damn aggressive, way more so than most birds.  I'll chalk up "GOAT"  as being just another part of a long list of unnecessary acronyms. 

kphoger

Am I bad person for having hoped it was about that place whose name shall not be mentioned except when prohibited?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2020, 03:49:54 PM

Am I bad person for having hoped it was about that place whose name shall not be mentioned except when prohibited?
Yes, unless you stop right now and not mention that unholy place!   :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on January 17, 2020, 07:10:03 PM

Yes, unless you stop right now and not mention that unholy place!   :bigass:

That statement would and wouldn't make Goat Jesus sad. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2020, 08:58:09 PM
That statement would and wouldn't make Goat Jesus sad. 

Common misconception.  Actually–according to III Hezekiah 15:2a¼–when Goat Jesus cries, they are tears of indifference.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2020, 02:36:20 PM

Exactly.  Charlie Brown was referred to (by himself and others) as a "goat" several times in the Peanuts comic strip because of his spectacular failures, especially in baseball.  Which is the reason it took me awhile to understand what all the GOAT talk was about.

empirestate

Renewed congratulations would seem to be due to said fellow forum member and GOAT, who made what I'd call a successful debut as the first new host of Jeopardy! in some 30-odd years tonight.

Way to go, Ken! Long live the Meadows!!  :sombrero:

WillWeaverRVA

Ken did a pretty good job, and he also did a good job maintaining his composure when he got emotional about Alex at the start of the episode.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I did too. Maybe we've just been on the forum too long.

(void where prohibited (void where prohibited))
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Ken did an excellent job as host. It would be hard to find anyone who could do the job better.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

On the subject of GOAT, has it been that recently that it's become common parlance? I can't remember not knowing what it meant.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2021, 02:41:37 PM
On the subject of GOAT, has it been that recently that it's become common parlance? I can't remember not knowing what it meant.

Traditionally, being the goat is a bad thing. Think Bill Bucker in the 1986 World Series.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Quote from: mrsman on January 16, 2020, 12:26:30 AM
Reading that thread gave me chills, bugo predicting Shakespeare and then shakespeare actually being the category.

I actually stole that joke from an old sitcom. I think it was called "Mama's Family" or something similar. One of the main characters goes on Jeopardy, and Shakespeare is the Final Jeopardy clue. I thought it was funny, and made me realize how much of a nightmare going to Jeopardy and Shakespeare being the FJ clue. I have never been interested in Shakespeare in the least and I know very little about his writings.

bugo

The first time I heard "GOAT", it was in reference to Jerry Rice, the extraordinary wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers back in the 1980s when the 49ers won several Super Bowls.

Route66Fan

Quote from: bugo on January 15, 2021, 10:04:08 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 16, 2020, 12:26:30 AM

I actually stole that joke from an old sitcom. I think it was called "Mama's Family" or something similar. One of the main characters goes on Jeopardy, and Shakespeare is the Final Jeopardy clue. I thought it was funny, and made me realize how much of a nightmare going to Jeopardy and Shakespeare being the FJ clue. I have never been interested in Shakespeare in the least and I know very little about his writings.
On Mama's Family, it was actually the main character, Thelma Harper, that went on Jeopardy!

SM-S102DL

kphoger

Anyone remember the movie White Men Can't Jump and the Jeopardy! scene with 'Foods that begin with the letter Q'?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.