News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

We are never getting back to normal.

LGL322DL

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on March 12, 2020, 04:51:43 PM

LGL322DL

See upthread, I went into that. 

bandit957

I don't think this really changes my habits. For a long time, I've been very, very careful about germs. One thing I hate, hate, hate is when people use utensils after they've been on a bare table at a restaurant. That's disgusting and it spreads germs. I also hate it when people sit on the part of a bed where your head goes - after they've eaten at a restaurant and picked up dirt on their pants from other customers.

I do not touch things in public restrooms. Ever.

Also, I open doors using my pinky finger, and only touch the top of the handle.

I've been doing these things for a very long time.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

stormwatch7721

kalvado

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on March 12, 2020, 04:51:43 PM

LGL322DL
Depends on what you define as "normal". We're never back to pre-9/11 normal - so what? 

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US 89

After two players on the Jazz tested positive, representing the state's 4th and 5th coronavirus cases, it looks like Utah is going into full crisis mode. Although not enforceable by law, the governor has called for mass gatherings to be limited to no more than 100 people for at least the next two weeks, also encouraging older and immunocompromised people to avoid gatherings of more than 20 people. Colleges and universities are moving to all-online instruction, while K-12 schools are remaining open unless an individual district decides to close - so far, Murray City is the only district to close, and that was because they had a potential direct exposure.

TheHighwayMan3561

I made the decision on Tuesday to postpone an upcoming Japan trip that was scheduled to leave on the 23rd. As I have told others, the virus does not scare me. Government lockdowns and airline shutdowns do, however.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

The Episcopalian dioceses here cancelled worship services for the next two weeks. They're taking the mayor seriously when she asked people not to hold "Mass gatherings."

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ozarkman417

-Most, if not all Spring Break trips sponsored by my school have been cancelled. Destinations included: New York City, Atlanta, and Ireland. I was not going on any of these anyway, so that is their loss. That said, I am finally now on Spring Break, lasting until 3/23. However, this could very well be "extended", now that the virus is now in town. There goes what little social life I have...

-A family member in Decatur, GA informed me that their school district is closed "indefinitely", and school will basically be online for up to the rest of the year.

-A man near Springfield is selling toilet paper for $100. Capitalism at its finest  :bigass:

-Being only 16, I'm not exactly scared about the virus, and I am no stranger to staying inside for days at a time.

ftballfan

Netflix is about to have a record few months

RobbieL2415

Ironic that people are cancelling trips and I'm trying to plan one.  I'm not looking to go over far, though.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:33:46 PM
Ironic that people are cancelling trips and I'm trying to plan one.  I'm not looking to go over far, though.

Have a family Spring Break trip planned to Hilton Head booked through VRBO.  Got an email notifying me that they will not be issuing any refunds to people who cancel trips, so I guess we're going.  Not sure what we'll do if the flight gets canceled.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 12, 2020, 07:42:05 PM

Have a family Spring Break trip planned to Hilton Head booked through VRBO.  Got an email notifying me that they will not be issuing any refunds to people who cancel trips, so I guess we're going.  Not sure what we'll do if the flight gets canceled.
I say drive it.  Shouldn't be much traffic.

Amtrak hasn't suspended any services completely on the national network, just cut back on Acela service by two trips.  So that's an option.

Max Rockatansky

I'm planning as many as possible.  I'm trying to convince my wife to go hiking with me out in the rain in Pinnacles National Park this Sunday.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 12, 2020, 07:45:00 PM

I'm planning as many as possible.  I'm trying to convince my wife to go hiking with me out in the rain in Pinnacles National Park this Sunday.
Do it.  You can travel and minimize human contact.

-Drive to your destination.
-Eat out as little as possible
-Pick a destination where you not apt to find large groups of people.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:44:09 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 12, 2020, 07:42:05 PM

I say drive it.  Shouldn't be much traffic.

Amtrak hasn't suspended any services completely on the national network, just cut back on Acela service by two trips.  So that's an option.

Amtrak doesn't go from here to there, at least not in any way that doesn't take multiple days.
Driving is a backup plan if the flight gets canceled though that adds a day to the trip each way and everybody except me hates long road trips.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: ftballfan on March 12, 2020, 07:33:28 PM
Netflix is about to have a record few months

With everybody buying TP and water instead of rubbers, I think nine months from now the maternity wards will set new records.

Take some piña coladas for when you get caught in the rain.

1995hoo

Hymns inappropriate for use when churches reopen: "Crown Him with Many Crowns."  :-o

oscar

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:51:01 PM

My thinking is similar. Indeed, I'm on the road right now.

Whether I attend any road meets this year is another story. "Social distancing" might complicate meets, such as by needing bigger lunch/dinner tables so we're not sitting next to each other, and also making car-pooling harder. Coronavirus might be less of an issue for our younger members, but as someone on the low end of "elderly", I worry about social events as opposed to my usual solo road trips. I'm also trying to adjust my routines to protect myself better as the crisis gets worse.

This all is heightened by the predicament of my 90-something aunt in Milan, in the heart of Italy's coronavirus crisis, which already is where the U.S. might end up in the coming weeks. She says she's housebound, it's too dangerous for her to go out in public (even without the police hassling people for taking a walk around the neighborhood), and she has to have her groceries delivered.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:51:01 PM

Essentially out west of the Central Valley in the Diablo Range you're on the moon anyways.  I did some off roading last Saturday out that way and only saw two people the entire time I was in the mountains.  Likewise the Sierras are attractive destination give it is winter season right now and nobody is around.  I see no reason to sit around worrying about what I can't control. 

US71

My Medieval group was planning a big gathering in Mississippi starting this weekend, but was forced to cancel it when state health authorities banned any gatherings over 200 people (3000 usually attend). 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2020, 03:30:53 PM
How is the coronavirus scare affecting your commute and/or travel plans?

So, I live in Connecticut and work in Montréal.  Normally, three weeks each month, I work from home; and I go into the office for the fourth week.

Company policy is now that unnecessary travel (including my commute) is prohibited.  And, for business continuity purposes, we're required to have no more than 50% of our team in a given office until further notice.  (For example, I'm a member of a team of four economic capital modelers.  I was already mostly work-from-home.  One of my teammates is now also working from home full-time.)   The department I was formerly a part of is actually going to telecommute-only as quickly as laptops can be issued, due to local school closures, and to maximize productivity.  (Or, as my former grandboss reportedly put it: "We're all disgusting, so let's get out of each others' sight.")

I am currently in the middle of an unplanned roadtrip.  Normally I fly to Memphis every 6-8 weeks to check in with my father.  However, he's taken a turn for the worse, and I needed to come down, pull some legal documents out of a safe deposit box, and finish getting my father moved into memory care.   

I opted to drive, rather than fly, partly out of coronavirus concerns - about half the time I fly, I pick up a sniffle from some germy kid, and I didn't want to risk sharing this sniffle with a bunch of octogenarians and nonogenarians - and partly for hauling capability (some family stuff in his old apartment that I need to keep, or at least go through before disposing).

So, I got into Memphis late last (Wednesday) night, and went over to my father's retirement community this morning...to discover that they had just implemented a strict pandemic protocol, locking down their facility to visitors except in case of emergency.   They're still working out a couple of the rough edges, but today I was limited to being allowed to get a box load of mail/documents from his apartment, and to grab the mail in his mailbox.   He was resting, so I didn't ask that he be disturbed and brought outside for a visit.

In other words, I just drove 1200 miles...and didn't get to see my father, due to coronavirus issues.   (A bit of an exaggeration -- they're supposed to call when he has a good spell tomorrow or Saturday, and so that I can pop over and see him outside the secured area -- but still, this is going to be a far less productive trip than I had planned.)

Driving down, it seemed like there were fewer cars and more trucks on the road from what I am used to seeing...but I don't think I've ever done the drive on a Tuesday+Wednedsday before, so I wouldn't put too much weight on that.  Restaurants seem a little less crowded than I would have expected, but not so much less that it would feel weird.   Coughing draws dirty looks in public spaces.  This is not a good time to be a person with a chronic cough.

I've been joking that I hope I get home before they start erecting checkpoints or blocking roads through certain areas.  I don't think they'd actually do that...but the country seems to have gone insane, so who knows.  (Acting with an abundance of caution isn't necessarily a bad thing, but...)

One thing is certain...barring an emergency, once I get back to CT, I suspect that I'm going to stay local until this either blows over, or until we have better information and less dramatic measures are indicated.

jeffandnicole

I went to a bar tonight.

As did many others.

And it was probably still safer than the hoards of people going grocery shopping prepering to self-quarantine themselves...by being out with hoards of other people not giving it a second thought that they're in a building with hundreds of others...the exact opposite of where they should be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.