News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

So this might become like Italy? Now I'm scared.

LGL322DL

roadman65

Disney has closed its theme parks in CA and FL for the next two weeks.  Lots of disappointed travelers out there, over this hype.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Sophie Trudeau, wife on the Canadian PM, tested positive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on March 12, 2020, 10:15:30 PM

LGL322DL

No offense but it sounds like you get worked up over this stuff easily.  About all you can do in any emergency is control what you do and how to prepare for it. 

Ben114

All school trips out of state have been cancelled though April 27 for me.

Graduation has also been cancelled (since the place hosting cancelled, and my school hasn't found a replacement yet).

Tonytone

LGL322DL
Please relax.

The whole point of shutting things down is to stop the spread & allow it to go away. You will still be able to walk outside & do things. Just not in big public settings.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Chris

The Italian economy appears to be crashing hard at this moment. Tourism contributes over $ 200 billion per year to the Italian economy and all top attractions are deserted.

Trevi Fountain, Rome

Milan Cathedral

San Marco Square, Venice

webny99

Ooh, just thought of a big one: the 2020 census, which is less than 3 weeks away!

Is it possible that coronavirus could be... a positive development for the census?
It seems like the reduced travel could not be coming at a better time.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 13, 2020, 08:08:28 AM
Ooh, just thought of a big one: the 2020 census, which is less than 3 weeks away!

Is it possible that coronavirus could be... a positive development for the census?

We got ours in the mail last night–no form, just a 12-digit code for use online. I completed it on my iPad while dinner was in the oven. Took maybe 10 minutes. Much less intrusive questioning than in the past.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

A little over one week into my Arizona/Florida trip and there hasn't been any particular impact so far.  I craftily, or luckily, scheduled the Arizona portion, which was for Cactus League baseball, first, and left there a couple days in advance of the sports suspensions.

I've noticed a few empty shelves here in the Miami area.  (Clerk in Walgreens a little while ago:  "We don't have any bleach or hand sanitizer."  Me:  "Ummm, OK, all I want is a box of Wheat Thins to take to the beach.")  Restaurant experiences are all as usual.  I hope we can go a few more days without some extreme reaction like Miami-Dade closing the beaches.

I do have a backup plan for the return trip west next week in the event air travel were shut down:  a one-way rental car reservation out of Fort Lauderdale.  At this time of year the rental companies want people to drive their cars one-way out of south Florida anyway so that isn't very expensive; the gas, food and motels over all those miles would cost way more than the rental.  That's only an emergency plan though and I expect I'll be on JetBlue.

MikeTheActuary

So this might become like Italy?

While anything is possible, I doubt it.

tdindy88

Quote from: Chris on March 13, 2020, 07:38:54 AM
The Italian economy appears to be crashing hard at this moment. Tourism contributes over $ 200 billion per year to the Italian economy and all top attractions are deserted.

If I recall, Venice was complaining about too much tourism last year. Be careful what you wish for.

kalvado

Those census takers going door to door in hazmat suits will be an interesting sight..

hotdogPi

Does anyone know whether Alaska is canceling things or not? They have no cases yet, and they're isolated from the rest of the country.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Meanwhile at Walmart, what's a little fallout?

ixnay

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 11, 2020, 03:54:54 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 11, 2020, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 11, 2020, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 11, 2020, 02:28:22 PM
The Electronic Entertainment Expo (better known as E3) is Los Angeles has been cancelled due to the Coronavirus. The event was scheduled for June 9-11. This is the event where many major video games, consoles, and other software/hardware is announced.

Canceling something 3 months away is wuss behavior.

An international conference of that scale requires advance notice. Take a look at the SXSW situation, which includes layoffs and business closures, for what happens when you don't give advance notice.

Is E3 even a big deal nowadays?

The same could be said of world's fairs.  I only knew about the 2020 Dubai World's Fair through touch line ads on English Premier League soccer matches...

https://www.expo2020dubai.com/

ixnay

TheGrassGuy

I just checked the Johns Hopkins dashboard, and less than an hour ago it showed an increase of out-of-China cases today. But now it only lists around 10k. And everything says "no data". What happened? https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
I just checked the Johns Hopkins dashboard, and less than an hour ago it showed an increase of out-of-China cases today. But now it only lists around 10k. And everything says "no data". What happened? https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61
OK, now the total cases looks fine, but the total death is no longer available

US71

No. If people don't send their forms in, census people will have to go door to door.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 13, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
OK, now the total cases looks fine, but the total death is no longer available
Back to normal now

NWI_Irish96

Staggered mailing of Census letters started arriving in mailboxes yesterday.  For the first time, there is an online option.  Go to the website listed in your letter and input the address id in your letter and you can be done in 10 minutes.

Paper forms will arrive near the end of the month (assuming no disruption in mail delivery) for those who don't do it online.  In person follow-up happens beginning in May for households that don't answer online or by paper.

As of this morning, there is no change to any census operations, though there is substantial contingency planning taking place.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

My Wife and I went grocery shopping at 6 AM this morning to avoid the crowds.  Vons had a lot of cleaning supplies shipped in and had a bunch of extra stocking crew pushing it to the Sales Floor.  There really wasn't anyone else shopping and it seemed like there was plenty of stock on hand.  I did grab a bunch of Gatorade so I had something to take running with me in case the mad grab for water starts cascading to electrolyte drinks. 

My Wife went shopping at Walmart last night, apparently they ran out of paper supplies around midday yesterday. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2020, 08:19:17 AM

We got ours in the mail last night–no form, just a 12-digit code for use online. I completed it on my iPad while dinner was in the oven. Took maybe 10 minutes. Much less intrusive questioning than in the past.
I received mine yesterday as well.  I completed it a couple hours ago while on break.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2020, 10:43:36 AM
My Wife and I went grocery shopping at 6 AM this morning to avoid the crowds.  Vons had a lot of cleaning supplies shipped in and had a bunch of extra stocking crew pushing it to the Sales Floor.  There really wasn’t anyone else shopping and it seemed like there was plenty of stock on hand.  I did grab a bunch of Gatorade so I had something to take running with me in case the mad grab for water starts cascading to electrolyte drinks. 

My Wife went shopping at Walmart last night, apparently they ran out of paper supplies around midday yesterday. 
Earlier this week, I actually was down to two rolls of toilet paper.  I typically buy a 12-to-24 pack which lasts for a while supplywise and buy another pack when I'm down to two remaining rolls.  I went to my local Giant to purchase some with no real shortage nor incident while reports of stores elsewhere had none.  Hand sanitizer OTOH was another story.  The local CVS had a sign mentioning that they were sold out of such (hand sanitizers, that is).

Fast-forward to last night: at the same Giant store, its toilet paper inventory was about half of what it was a few days earlier.  Clorox wipes or equivalent were completely sold out.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

Quote from: Chris on March 13, 2020, 07:38:54 AM

Trevi Fountain, Rome

Milan Cathedral

San Marco Square, Venice

Wow these shots look nice!

Bruce

My commute last night was barely over an hour from Downtown Seattle to home, about half the usual time (even off-peak). Only a small bit of traffic near Shoreline because of a broken-down car in the HOV lane. The bus was carrying 1/4th the usual amount of people, even though an earlier trip was cancelled and consolidated.
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.