News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2021, 07:17:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 06:36:43 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on October 10, 2021, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 10, 2021, 06:06:53 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!
Beating the Texans on a last-second field goal while giving up 300 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no turnovers to a rookie quarterback who just threw 4 interceptions last week sounds less like "big win" and more like "the Texans shot themself in the foot with penalties, 2 missed extra points, and a 0-yard punt; we were so lucky to win" if you ask me.

At least as a Texan fan I'm not in the agony Lions fans are experiencing right now.

The Lions haven't done anything really of note since 1957.  I'm hardly in agony given years like this are the general expectation for the team.  At minimum the Lions are largely offset by UofM football and the three other major sports teams having won championships in my lifetime.

Saying that the Lions are offset by the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons is the lowest possible bar.  All four play within 1/4 mile of each other and right now all four suck.

The Pistons and Red Wings had some of the greatest dynasties in their respective sports.  We had season tickets to the Red Wings (family tickets) when they were winning Stanley Cups in the late 1990s.  I attended numerous Pistons games the year they beat Lakers and went to a ton of other games during earlier the Bad Boys era.  My Dad and I went to seven UofM games the year they won the National Championship in 1997.  One of my first living memories was watching the Tigers win the World Series in 1984 with my Dad. 

Sure there isn't a ton great going on in Detroit sports at the moment, but I've seen a lot of great moments.  Why should I be angry about the Lions when the best they have ever done in my lifetime was get blown out but the Redskins (now Football Team) when the player in the NFC Championship in 1991?  I see no reason to be "in agony"  over the Detroit Lions as a fan.  They suck, they always have and I really have no expectations that will change any time soon.  I'm actually going to see them play at SoFi later this month when they play the Rams and Matt Stafford. 

The Tigers drafted Patrick Mahomes in 2014 (he was a 2 sport player in college and his dad was a major league pitcher). This is one more Super Bowl winning QB than the Lions have drafted.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 10, 2021, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2021, 07:17:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 06:36:43 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 10, 2021, 06:06:53 PM
Yes go Pats! Big win!
Beating the Texans on a last-second field goal while giving up 300 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no turnovers to a rookie quarterback who just threw 4 interceptions last week sounds less like "big win" and more like "the Texans shot themself in the foot with penalties, 2 missed extra points, and a 0-yard punt; we were so lucky to win" if you ask me.

At least as a Texan fan I'm not in the agony Lions fans are experiencing right now.

The Lions haven't done anything really of note since 1957.  I'm hardly in agony given years like this are the general expectation for the team.  At minimum the Lions are largely offset by UofM football and the three other major sports teams having won championships in my lifetime.

Saying that the Lions are offset by the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons is the lowest possible bar.  All four play within 1/4 mile of each other and right now all four suck.

The Pistons and Red Wings had some of the greatest dynasties in their respective sports.  We had season tickets to the Red Wings (family tickets) when they were winning Stanley Cups in the late 1990s.  I attended numerous Pistons games the year they beat Lakers and went to a ton of other games during earlier the Bad Boys era.  My Dad and I went to seven UofM games the year they won the National Championship in 1997.  One of my first living memories was watching the Tigers win the World Series in 1984 with my Dad. 

Sure there isn't a ton great going on in Detroit sports at the moment, but I've seen a lot of great moments.  Why should I be angry about the Lions when the best they have ever done in my lifetime was get blown out but the Redskins (now Football Team) when the player in the NFC Championship in 1991?  I see no reason to be "in agony"  over the Detroit Lions as a fan.  They suck, they always have and I really have no expectations that will change any time soon.  I'm actually going to see them play at SoFi later this month when they play the Rams and Matt Stafford. 

The Tigers drafted Patrick Mahomes in 2014 (he was a 2 sport player in college and his dad was a major league pitcher). This is one more Super Bowl winning QB than the Lions have drafted.

Considering how good Matt Stafford has looked in most of the Rams games this year I wouldn't totally discount the possibility he still might be one.

webny99

Browns-Chargers might have been the game of the year. Pretty incredible that it ended with a final score of 47-42, identical to the Browns-Ravens game from last year.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 10, 2021, 08:20:36 PM
Browns-Chargers might have been the game of the year. Pretty incredible that it ended with a final score of 47-42, identical to the Browns-Ravens game from last year.
That's now twice in the first 5 weeks that Baker Mayfield played great almost the entire game, and then couldn't get the job done when he most needed to. Baker will win a lot of games, but Baker will never make a Super Bowl, much less win one, in Cleveland or elsewhere. Of course, there's not really a better option out there at QB for the Browns, so they'll give him a big contract (which is the right decision).

Roadgeekteen

Chiefs not looking so good.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

... or maybe the Bills are good!?  :paranoid:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2021, 12:40:20 AM
They are good but the Chiefs are 2-3, somethings wrong with them.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 11, 2021, 12:40:55 AM
They are good but the Chiefs are 2-3, somethings wrong with them.

It's mostly their defense. They've also had turnover issues in all three losses.

I think they will still make the playoffs, probably as a wild card though. We know they can make in-game comebacks, now it will be interesting to see if they can make a season comeback.

TheHighwayMan3561

Never should have been in that position. Vikings let the Lions hang around through stupid playcalling, and then the Lions got some late breaks to put themselves in position to win.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jgb191

What's with all these missed field goals and extra points today???
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

NWI_Irish96

The Bills are my Super Bowl pick.

thspfc

Yes. I thought the Bills defense would struggle in their first game playing against a legit offense, and I thought that this would be the week the Chiefs figure it out. Neither. Buffalo is first in total defense and points allowed. The Steelers game looks like more of a fluke every week.

Going into the season, I expected the Browns to be Super Bowl contenders. They're not. With a porous secondary and a passing game that shuts down once the Browns are behind late, they're not going to win multiple playoff games. Mayfield has not taken as much of a step forward as hoped, the shoulder injury could be part of that.

Even though I actually made a somewhat intelligent prediction for once on the Bears/Raiders game, I'm going pull a page out of webny99's playbook and say that the Bears are the worst 3-2 team of all time.

JayhawkCO

Gruden resigning.  Good.

Chris

thspfc

It was a fun 3 weeks of relevancy for the Raiders. I guess they're still relevant, but not in the way a team would ever want to be.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on October 11, 2021, 10:34:56 AM
Yes. I thought the Bills defense would struggle in their first game playing against a legit offense, and I thought that this would be the week the Chiefs figure it out. Neither. Buffalo is first in total defense and points allowed. The Steelers game looks like more of a fluke every week.

Going into the season, I expected the Browns to be Super Bowl contenders. They're not. With a porous secondary and a passing game that shuts down once the Browns are behind late, they're not going to win multiple playoff games. Mayfield has not taken as much of a step forward as hoped, the shoulder injury could be part of that.

Even though I actually made a somewhat intelligent prediction for once on the Bears/Raiders game, I'm going pull a page out of webny99's playbook and say that the Bears are the worst 3-2 team of all time.

The Bears beat the 3-2 Bengals, so maybe not.

KCRoadFan

How about that game in Baltimore????????

jgb191

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 11, 2021, 11:33:24 PM

I would have liked to see the Colts at least attempt to match the TD scored by the Ravens that won the game.  If the Colts answered back with a TD, they would still be alive in the game, or if the Colts fail to match the TD or turn it over, the game could then be over.  This is for any OT game for that matter.  At least a FG scored by the winner of the coin toss doesn't end the game right away, the other team gets a chance to either match the FG to continue the game or score a TD to win.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 11, 2021, 09:03:47 PM
Gruden resigning.  Good.

Chris

Now if Urb can also go away that would be doubly good.

Roadgeekteen

Snyder and Allen are scumbags too

74/171FAN

Gruden resigning.  Good.

Chris

I always thought that contract that Gruden had with the Raiders was destined to fail honestly (beyond what led it to actually failing).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 12, 2021, 07:10:21 AM
Gruden resigning.  Good.

Chris

I always thought that contract that Gruden had with the Raiders was destined to fail honestly (beyond what led it to actually failing).

With how rarely coaches last 10+ years with the same team these days, I figured from the moment that contract was announced in 2018 that Gruden wouldn't actually last 10 years.

(I also low-key wonder if Mark Davis saw this as an opportunity to get out from Gruden anyway, considering his track record over the last 3 1/4 seasons.  Admittedly a lot of the contract stuff goes over my head, but I wonder if Gruden resigning versus being fired affects how much of the contract is ultimately paid out?)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 12, 2021, 01:02:45 AM
Snyder and Allen are scumbags too
You're just learning this?

I want the Football Team destroyed over this. Forcing Snyder to sell would be a start. But it won't be enough until every single person who enabled or saw this behavior and did nothing about it is out of the league forever.

And so long as we're on the topic of awful franchises, the Saints need to do three things: 1) clean house, starting with the people who tried cover up mass child abuse, 2) fire their malicious coach who actively tried to injure opposing players, and 3) move out of New Orleans.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 11, 2021, 11:33:24 PM

That was one of the most bizarre games I've seen in a while. Colts need to fire Matt Eberflus.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 11, 2021, 09:23:39 PM

I'll pull another page out of the webny99 playbook: The 3-2 Bengals are better than the 3-2 Bears even though they lost to them.  :-P

ET21

Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2021, 09:40:23 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 11, 2021, 09:23:39 PM

I'll pull another page out of the webny99 playbook: The 3-2 Bengals are better than the 3-2 Bears even though they lost to them.  :-P

:spin: :spin: :spin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.