News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on January 18, 2023, 05:04:01 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 18, 2023, 03:25:30 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 17, 2023, 09:26:00 PM
If he does come back, I doubt it's with Tampa. ... He's going to want a strong o-line, solid run game, and reliable receivers.

And a weak-ass division to play against.  No coincidence he bails on New England as soon as Buffalo starts getting good.
Moves down south where he was guaranteed to play shit teams at least 6 times a year.
(nobody tell him that the Saints were coming off back-to-back 13-3 seasons when Brady went to Tampa)

And the Saints just had their HoF QB retire...

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 19, 2023, 09:14:19 AM
If he does come back, I doubt it's with Tampa. ... He's going to want a strong o-line, solid run game, and reliable receivers.

And a weak-ass division to play against.  No coincidence he bails on New England as soon as Buffalo starts getting good.
Moves down south where he was guaranteed to play shit teams at least 6 times a year.
(nobody tell him that the Saints were coming off back-to-back 13-3 seasons when Brady went to Tampa)

Brady signed in the 2020 offseason, Brees retired in the 2021 offseason . . .

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on January 19, 2023, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 19, 2023, 09:14:19 AM

Brady signed in the 2020 offseason, Brees retired in the 2021 offseason . . .

My bad. I misremembered when Brady joined TB.

triplemultiplex

Yeah but the writing was on the wall.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 19, 2023, 11:56:57 AM
Yeah but the writing was on the wall.
(nobody tell him that they went 12-4 in 2020 which included a regular season sweep of the Bucs)

webny99

The irony is that even though the Bucs got swept by the Saints that season, they beat them in the playoffs enroute to the Super Bowl anyways.

However, it was pretty obvious that Brees was at the end of his career, so it was a good bet the division would be bad beyond 2020. And sure enough: since then, the NFC South has gotten much worse even as the AFC East has gotten much better. It's certainly safe to say a bad division is the only reason Brady was in the playoffs this season.

Henry

Is this the first-ever instance of all three FL teams (Buccaneers, Dolphins, Jaguars) making the playoffs in the same season?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

^ I do wish to see an all-Florida Super Bowl....something like Jacksonville vs Tampa played in Miami.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Henry on January 19, 2023, 07:19:41 PM
Is this the first-ever instance of all three FL teams (Buccaneers, Dolphins, Jaguars) making the playoffs in the same season?

One of the pre-game shows mentioned that this was the first time all three Florida teams made the playoffs together since the late 1990s.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 20, 2023, 05:23:04 AM

One of the pre-game shows mentioned that this was the first time all three Florida teams made the playoffs together since the late 1990s.

1999 - and to boot, all three made it to at least the divisional round. Jacksonville deleted the Dolphins out of existence while Tampa Bay barely escaped as Washington botched a game-winning field goal try, but the next week both the Bucs and Jags lost their conference title games.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 20, 2023, 04:29:41 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 20, 2023, 05:23:04 AM

1999 - and to boot, all three made it to at least the divisional round. Jacksonville deleted the Dolphins out of existence while Tampa Bay barely escaped as Washington botched a game-winning field goal try, but the next week both the Bucs and Jags lost their conference title games.
I just remembered, it also happened in 1997, so this season is actually the third example.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

KC leads Jacksonville 17-10 at halftime, but the big story is Mahomes and the (potential) injury to his ankle.

Great Lakes Roads

The Chiefs beat the Jaguars by the score of 27-20...

The Eagles beat the Giants by the score of 38-7...

Tomorrow's games should be exciting!
-Jay Seaburg

webny99

I don't normally put stock in "playoff experience" but it is absolutely a factor in games like this one where one team has a lot more of it than the other. This will be the 5th straight title game appearance for the Chiefs. Interestingly enough, the Jags were in the AFC title game the last time the Chiefs weren't, where they lost to the Pats in controversial fashion.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on January 21, 2023, 08:25:19 PM
I don't normally put stock in "playoff experience" but it is absolutely a factor in games like this one where one team has a lot more of it than the other. This will be the 5th straight title game appearance for the Chiefs. Interestingly enough, the Jags were in the AFC title game the last time the Chiefs weren't, where they lost to the Pats in controversial fashion.

As much as people pick on Andy Reid for his teams' playoff failures, he really is the only coach in the game today even remotely comparable to Belichick in terms of sustained success.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ted$8roadFan

Bengals over Bills, 27-10, in the snow. Not surprised that Cincinnati won, but the margin is surprising.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 22, 2023, 06:14:15 PM
Bengals over Bills, 27-10, in the snow. Not surprised that Cincinnati won, but the margin is surprising.

Next week, the Bengals will have to play the Chiefs for the AFC championship...

I am predicting that the 49ers will be winning against the Cowboys to play against the Eagles next week... (Yup, I was right about that)
-Jay Seaburg

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on January 10, 2022, 04:57:25 PM
(4) Bengals defeat (5) Raiders
(3) Bills defeat (6) Patriots
(2) Chiefs defeat (7) Steelers

(4) Bengals defeat (1) Titans
(2) Chiefs defeat (3) Bills

(2) Chiefs defeat (4) Bengals

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2023, 08:00:40 AM
5) Chargers defeat 4) Jaguars
2) Bills defeat 7) Dolphins
3) Bengals defeat 6) Ravens

1) Chiefs defeat 5) Chargers
3) Bengals defeat 2) Bills

1) Chiefs defeat 3) Bengals
Predicting a Chiefs/Bengals AFC title game is becoming a pretty solid strategy. We'll see if I get the outcome right this time.

Catastrophic loss for the Bills. That's now three straight years of ending the regular season on a big run, being one of the top two AFC favorites entering the playoffs, and faltering before reaching the Super Bowl. The first one, 2020, was whatever. Few predicted they would be that good, and that Chiefs team hadn't lost a meaningful game since early October. Last year, the late defensive meltdown was kind of lost in the offensive brilliance of that game (and the overtime rules). But that game was very winnable for the Bills, even with an unlucky coin toss and the Chiefs being the Chiefs. And now this year, no excuses and no consolation. You can't lose that game in your home stadium, in the snow, against a supposedly inferior team.

Abandoning the run as soon as the first possession, against a defense frequently showing light boxes and pass blitzes, gave Cincy their way. Allen played too much Superman when they fell behind, leading to wasted possessions. Cincy turned their possessions into long clock-eating drives and points on the board.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on September 09, 2022, 10:20:09 AM
No Bills commentary from me until February if I can help it

Well, I had a meltdown after the Vikings game, but otherwise I intend to stick to my word here and save my commentary for, well, February.

Ironically enough, the Bills' end to the season was very Vikings-esque in one particular way, pertaining to their season as a whole. Curious if anyone picks up on what I mean by that. Otherwise, I'll check back in a few weeks if I've found anything worthwhile to say.

thspfc

Maher misses another PAT. Touchdowns aren't even fun anymore. Let's just go for two every time and pray the game doesn't come down to a kicking situation.

Great Lakes Roads

The 49ers are up 9-6 at halftime... We'll see what happens during the second half...
-Jay Seaburg

thspfc

So ironic that Dallas is losing to 3 field goals. Losing Pollard sucks. It's definitely not over, but it feels like San Fran is gaining momentum and Dallas is losing momentum.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 22, 2023, 08:09:19 PM
The 49ers are up 9-6 at halftime... We'll see what happens during the second half...

Final Score:
49ers-      19
Cowboys- 12
-Jay Seaburg

Ted$8roadFan

Again, the Cowboys lose a winnable game in one of the most boneheaded, excruciating manners possible.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.