News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

It'd be so crazy if there were somehow a Ravens-Browns AFCCG.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

And now there are reports that Jacoby Brissett has a hamstring injury and is questionable for the Commies on Sunday.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on December 29, 2023, 04:03:25 PM
It'd be so crazy if there were somehow a Ravens-Browns AFCCG.

There's also a decent chance of a Rams-Lions in which both Matt Stafford and Jared Goff would play their former team. That would be awesome with great narratives on both sides. It would most likely occur in the wild card round.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 29, 2023, 12:57:59 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 29, 2023, 12:56:12 PM
Isn't Russell Wilson's benching as much financial and contractual as it is performance (although he hasn't been that great).

Insofar as he's played like shit so they want to have financial flexibility to cut him. If he was playing well, even if they weren't in the playoff hunt, he'd be starting no matter what contractual guarantees kicked in.

I maintain it's tied to their season being over. He hasn't been good but is still their best option to win games if that was their objective.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2023, 12:33:50 PM
Isn't Russell Wilson's benching as much financial and contractual as it is performance (although he hasn't been that great).

Insofar as he's played like shit so they want to have financial flexibility to cut him. If he was playing well, even if they weren't in the playoff hunt, he'd be starting no matter what contractual guarantees kicked in.

I maintain it's tied to their season being over. He hasn't been good but is still their best option to win games if that was their objective.

But if he's not better than what they can get NEXT year, then it makes sense to bench him now.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 30, 2023, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2023, 12:33:50 PM

But if he's not better than what they can get NEXT year, then it makes sense to bench him now.

I mean, may as well, right? That Christmas Eve game was a sloppy shitshow. And, the worst part about it is that they lost to a frickin 5-11 Patriots team who had WAAAAY worse games than the Broncos, yet somehow, those orange and blue horses coughed up a doogie. On their hometurf nonetheless! I doubt Sean Payton will be in Denver much longer than what his current contract bears out to be. I mean, yeah, he's still getting the $10 million, but, god dang, those Broncos SUUUUUCK. I am amazed they're still active in the NFL given the completely obsurd mediocrity they've shown after Elway left following their 1998 Super Bowl, and Manning (Peyton, of course) following Super Bowl 50. It's like "Broncos, who?" "Wait, who are the Broncos?" "Where are the Broncos playing?" That's how bad the Denver Broncos are right now. They're becoming an almost-forgotten team where not even an scentilla of its fanbase knows who they are.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thspfc

Lord Jesus Christ.

Absolutely mind-numbing decision from Campbell to go for two down by one from the 7. 50% chance of winning in overtime. Conversion rate of far less than 50%. Not to mention, the odds of Dallas finding a way to get a field goal to win in regulation increase when they're trailing compared to when it's tied. It seems he's officially crossed into "aggression just for the sake of aggression" territory, if he wasn't already there.

Anyone whining about the ineligible penalty is a clown.

What a night for Lamb, what a way to snap a two-game slide. A wild card game @ the NFCS champion is now essentially guaranteed, and chances are it'll be a rematch with the Bucs. I don't know if I'm more or less confident this time - Tampa looks a lot better this year, but the threat of playoff Brady won't be hanging over.

jeffandnicole

From an Eagles standpoint, the Lions loss helps us overall for the number 2 seed, with the number 1 still in play.  But the best case scenario would have been a tie, which would've been a possibility if Campbell didn't go for the high-risk 2 pointer from the 7, or even the 3.5.

ZLoth

As far as I can determine, the 49ers in the NFC West and the Lions in the NFC North can do no worse than the number 3 seed. For the NFC East, both the Cowboys and the Eagles can do no worse than the fifth seed. Whoever in the NFC East gets the fifth seed will visit the "champions" of the NFC South with a worse record.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

epzik8

As a Washington fan, I'm tempted to say the Cowboys got handed that one last night, even though I haven't actually watched the clip of the play in question and would thus sound like a complete idiot.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: epzik8 on December 31, 2023, 07:33:47 AM
As a Washington fan, I'm tempted to say the Cowboys got handed that one last night, even though I haven't actually watched the clip of the play in question and would thus sound like a complete idiot.

So, the replay of the activity before the snap suggests that #68 did go to the ref to report as eligible. The problem is, the ref got it wrong and announced #70, so the Lions are responsible for noticing that and correcting him before the snap. For whatever reason they didn't do that, and at that point Dallas does not have to worry about #68.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 31, 2023, 07:43:16 AM

So, the replay of the activity before the snap suggests that #68 did go to the ref to report as eligible. The problem is, the ref got it wrong and announced #70, so the Lions are responsible for noticing that and correcting him before the snap. For whatever reason they didn't do that, and at that point Dallas does not have to worry about #68.
In addition, the Lions sent 3 linemen over to the ref at the same time. It's very loud in the stadium. Both parties clearly failed to communicate who was actually eligible - by rule, only one of them could be.

The "rigged" crowd of course forgets that the Lions were given a third try from 3.5 yards after Parsons was flagged for offsides. Not to mention the tripping penalty on Hendershot on the Cowboys last drive, which gave the Lions a chance to tie it with a touchdown drive. Both were correct calls.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 31, 2023, 07:43:16 AM

Beyond the officiating issues, Dan Campbell was a bit too aggressive, and it cost the Lions. Had they gone for the extra point, the game would go to OT. 

epzik8

Looks like the Cowboys and Eagles will separately be battling for the NFC East title next week, which probably means no resting starters for either team.

thspfc

Lamar locks up his 2nd MVP and, on his current trajectory, unofficially inserts himself into the Hall of Fame discussion. The world descended into chaos the last time the 49ers and Ravens were the one seeds, so that's fun.

Despite there being 3 teams at 9-7, the AFCS is actually quite simple: if the Jags win next week, they're champs; the winner of Colts/Texans could be a wild card depending on other results; the loser of Colts/Texans is out no matter what, and the Jags would be in trouble with a loss to Tennessee.

ZLoth

Quote from: epzik8 on December 31, 2023, 04:01:12 PMLooks like the Cowboys and Eagles will separately be battling for the NFC East title next week, which probably means no resting starters for either team.

But, will it be Eagles for the early game and Cowboys for the late gate, or a head-to-head with both teams having the late game. Only the NFL knows at the moment.

My guess on the Bill-Dolphins as next week's SNF game.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

thspfc

My ideal scenario next week is a Steelers win and a Jags win, locking the 10-7 Steelers out of the playoffs. If there's one team that I would ever wish a playoff-less 10-win season on, it's this Steelers team. Let them continue to think they're on the right track with that roster.

Hunty2022

Bengals have officially missed the playoffs. So have the Broncos.

On the other side (NFC/clinching), the LA Rams secured a spot in the Wild Card with a win over the NY Giants.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

jgb191

The only two teams (that I'm aware of) that haven't played a night game yet are the Texans and Colts.  Apparently the league has secretly saved their only night game for the final week of the regular season; now that the secret's out, it will happen this Saturday night nationwide broadcast.  Even though, it's not officially a playoff game, the Texans @ Colts game has all the makings of the playoffs -- season is on the line for both teams; winner's next game will be January 13/14, and loser's next game won't be until next September.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

wanderer2575

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 31, 2023, 09:06:59 AM
Beyond the officiating issues, Dan Campbell was a bit too aggressive, and it cost the Lions. Had they gone for the extra point, the game would go to OT.

According to thspfc a few posts up, the Lions had only a 7.5% chance of winning in overtime.  You two should get together and figure it out.

jlam

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 31, 2023, 11:41:10 PM
According to thspfc a few posts up, the Lions had only a 7.5% chance of winning in overtime.  You two should get together and figure it out.

Quote from: thspfc on December 30, 2023, 11:30:53 PM
Absolutely mind-numbing decision from Campbell to go for two down by one from the 7. 50% chance of winning in overtime.

|thspfc| separated that into two sentences. Detroit's two-point conversion attempt was from the 7, and if they chose to bring the game into OT instead, they would have had about a 50% chance of winning (assumedly).

NWI_Irish96

Bears only way to avoid elimination last night was for the Vikings and Packers to tie, which did not happen.

Bears have clinched the #1 overall pick though. Caleb Williams available to the highest bidder.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 01, 2024, 11:15:53 AM
Bears only way to avoid elimination last night was for the Vikings and Packers to tie, which did not happen.

Bears have clinched the #1 overall pick though. Caleb Williams available to the highest bidder.

Yup! Time for the Bears to grab MHJ or other teams can send us your 1st round picks for a chance at Caleb
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on January 01, 2024, 12:37:06 PM

Yup! Time for the Bears to grab MHJ or other teams can send us your 1st round picks for a chance at Caleb
My thoughts exactly! When was the last time the Bears had a good QB anyway?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thspfc

Quote from: ET21 on January 01, 2024, 12:37:06 PM

I think they're taking a QB in the first round, but they might still trade back and pick one up with either their pick or the pick they get from the team they trade 1.1 to. Fields will probably net them a second round pick, adding to their draft riches.

Fields lately has been as good as we've ever seen him, but he's still not even where he was supposed to be at this time two years ago. There's no precedent that comes to mind for a QB finally blossoming into a franchise anchor in their fourth season. Even Josh Allen, a well-known example of a late-blooming QB, was in the MVP conversation by his third year. Hoping for a Geno Smith renaissance is silly because for every Geno Smith that saved his career, there's 30 guys that didn't.

In essence, the fact it's such a difficult decision should tell you that it's not a difficult decision at all - after three years, he still hasn't proved it. Are they going to pass up a strong QB class on the chance that next year is finally the year he does prove it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.