News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Indianapolis 500 postponed to August 23.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2020, 02:53:55 PM

I'm honestly surprised that race hasn't been moved out of May with all the historic rain problems it has.  The Fourth of July lines up with a NASCAR race weekend in Daytona anyways, might be something worthwhile if this years race goes off without a hitch.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2020, 02:57:10 PM

I'm honestly surprised that race hasn't been moved out of May with all the historic rain problems it has.  The Fourth of July lines up with a NASCAR race weekend anyways, might be something worthwhile if this years race goes off without a hitch.

I go every year and I can say I'd rather take my chances with the late May rain than the 90+ degree heat of the summer.  Even with covered seats it gets awfully uncomfortable in the heat.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2020, 02:57:10 PM

I'm honestly surprised that race hasn't been moved out of May with all the historic rain problems it has.  The Fourth of July lines up with a NASCAR race weekend in Daytona anyways, might be something worthwhile if this years race goes off without a hitch.

NASCAR changed the schedule this year. The Brickyard 400 is scheduled for July 5 this year. It'll make for an interesting weekend in Indianapolis because the IndyCar "grand prix" race on the speedway's road course was rescheduled for July 4, which is the same day as the NASCAR Busch Series race (or whatever they call that series now) that's also being run on the road course. They'll switch the speedway to the oval configuration overnight for the Brickyard 400.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2020, 08:07:07 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2020, 02:35:42 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 11:50:11 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 25, 2020, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 08:52:45 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 25, 2020, 07:40:30 PM
Gets well beyond 100 degrees in the summer, right?
Yes, most tee times are in the early morning in the summer though.  Even around 6 AM it still can be 80-90F pretty easily. 

Pretty much true for summer golf even in the middle or northern states.  Get a really early start if the day will be hot.

Not potentially 120F plus hot.  The worst part is that you really don't know how fast you're getting dehydrated because of how dry the air is (usually) out in Phoenix.  The only thing that can makes things worse is when it is 120F and a monsoon hit the day before, that's rancid humidity on the next level from Hell.

I would agree with this. I've spent a fair amount of time in Phoenix (about half my family lives there), and live in Northern Virginia part of the year. The east coast humidity is killer, but it's hard to describe desert heat like what you can experience in Phoenix. The worst part about Phoenix is how unwavering the heat is. Even at night (thanks to the urban heat-island effect), the temperate really doesn't drop that much, which is nuts given that the west coast is known for cold night-time temps year-round (even LA is jacket weather at night in the summer...mostly). Sure, the east coast and midwest are known for extreme humidity that doesn't always drop off at night either, but it doesn't pound at you like in Phoenix. In Phoenix, your only chance of escape during late spring into autumn is AC, unless you want to run from lightning during an afternoon monsoon.

This is all in addition to the actual temperate of each place being a good 15F apart during the summer; even with humidity, it's hard to match up to day-time temps in Phoenix. Never mind the monsoon humidity!

When I lived in the area if I wanted to do a serious run or hike it needed to start usually around 4 AM and be over by 8 AM to avoid the temperature jumping over 100F.  I've been distance running for over 20 years and Phoenix is the only place that got me so bad that I actually thought that I ever needed to call 911 for dehydration.  Orlando was way more unpleasant with the swampy humidity but it was nowhere near as dangerous in reality as Phoenix.  That's the big reason why you hear stories about people dying on the golf course out there semi regularly.

That doesn't surprise me that people occasionally drop dead. Phoenix is beautiful on paper, but the heat is just constant. At least on the east coast, you'll get some occasional cool days or dry days. Not Phoenix! Other than when it rains in the afternoon (which is not everyday) during monsoon season, it's just hot. All. The. Time. The fact that it has become (and has remained) a popular retiree destination continues to surprise me. In my opinion, living in Phoenix requires you to be a fairly mobile for safety reasons (if you fall outside in the summer, it could eventually kill you), and that doesn't describe a lot of their populace now.

Side-note: I've long pushed for increased density in Phoenix as I see it quickly becoming another LA (where driving is slowly becoming the only realistic option for 90% of the people), but part of me wonders if there is at least some benefit to being spread out, to help decrease the heat-island effect. Granted, all of the cars aren't exactly doing the atmosphere any favours either.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2020, 03:25:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2020, 08:07:07 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2020, 02:35:42 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 11:50:11 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 25, 2020, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 08:52:45 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 25, 2020, 07:40:30 PM
Gets well beyond 100 degrees in the summer, right?
Yes, most tee times are in the early morning in the summer though.  Even around 6 AM it still can be 80-90F pretty easily. 

Pretty much true for summer golf even in the middle or northern states.  Get a really early start if the day will be hot.

Not potentially 120F plus hot.  The worst part is that you really don't know how fast you're getting dehydrated because of how dry the air is (usually) out in Phoenix.  The only thing that can makes things worse is when it is 120F and a monsoon hit the day before, that's rancid humidity on the next level from Hell.

I would agree with this. I've spent a fair amount of time in Phoenix (about half my family lives there), and live in Northern Virginia part of the year. The east coast humidity is killer, but it's hard to describe desert heat like what you can experience in Phoenix. The worst part about Phoenix is how unwavering the heat is. Even at night (thanks to the urban heat-island effect), the temperate really doesn't drop that much, which is nuts given that the west coast is known for cold night-time temps year-round (even LA is jacket weather at night in the summer...mostly). Sure, the east coast and midwest are known for extreme humidity that doesn't always drop off at night either, but it doesn't pound at you like in Phoenix. In Phoenix, your only chance of escape during late spring into autumn is AC, unless you want to run from lightning during an afternoon monsoon.

This is all in addition to the actual temperate of each place being a good 15F apart during the summer; even with humidity, it's hard to match up to day-time temps in Phoenix. Never mind the monsoon humidity!

When I lived in the area if I wanted to do a serious run or hike it needed to start usually around 4 AM and be over by 8 AM to avoid the temperature jumping over 100F.  I've been distance running for over 20 years and Phoenix is the only place that got me so bad that I actually thought that I ever needed to call 911 for dehydration.  Orlando was way more unpleasant with the swampy humidity but it was nowhere near as dangerous in reality as Phoenix.  That's the big reason why you hear stories about people dying on the golf course out there semi regularly.

That doesn't surprise me that people occasionally drop dead. Phoenix is beautiful on paper, but the heat is just constant. At least on the east coast, you'll get some occasional cool days or dry days. Not Phoenix! Other than when it rains in the afternoon (which is not everyday) during monsoon season, it's just hot. All. The. Time. The fact that it has become (and has remained) a popular retiree destination continues to surprise me. In my opinion, living in Phoenix requires you to be a fairly mobile for safety reasons (if you fall outside in the summer, it could eventually kill you), and that doesn't describe a lot of their populace now.

Side-note: I've long pushed for increased density in Phoenix as I see it quickly becoming another LA (where driving is slowly becoming the only realistic option for 90% of the people), but part of me wonders if there is at least some benefit to being spread out, to help decrease the heat-island effect. Granted, all of the cars aren't exactly doing the atmosphere any favours either.

The sprawl and rapidly rising home prices were huge contributing factors as to why I left.  I loved living in Phoenix and Arizona but I loathed working/commuting in an urban Hell-Scape.  Phoenix was great when the Metro Area was 3 million but not nearly as much now.  Tucson looks to more as more an attractive city now given it has less people and is higher up than Phoenix.  I lived in the Phoenix Mountains I never thought it was any cooler there than the rest of the City.  If I ever retire back in Arizona more than likely it would be in Flagstaff. 

nexus73

^^^

It gets mighty cold in Flagstaff during the winter.  Housing is not cheap there.  Heck, even the Village Inn closed up and they had the best bacon I ever had at a restaurant!  At least the scenery is nice...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on March 26, 2020, 05:53:02 PM
^^^

It gets mighty cold in Flagstaff during the winter.  Housing is not cheap there.  Heck, even the Village Inn closed up and they had the best bacon I ever had at a restaurant!  At least the scenery is nice...

Rick

I spent so much time up there over the years, it's definitely my favorite of all the cities in Arizona.  The cold weather in the winter is actually attractive for me since I would like some seasonal variation.  The weird thing is that it gets absolutely frigid at night in Flagstaff almost all year but heats up a ton during the day.  I've been up there plenty of times in the winter where it snowed truck loads overnight but was in the 50s the next day.  Williams, Payson, and Show Low are some of my other favorites out on the Rim.  Sedona is too hipster to tolerate for much longer than a day or two. 

dvferyance

That was a bit premature it was still 2 months away. Wait until we get closer to the date then make a decision.

GaryV

Quote from: dvferyance on March 28, 2020, 01:23:48 PM
That was a bit premature it was still 2 months away. Wait until we get closer to the date then make a decision.
Too much money would have been tied up - and lost - to make a change closer to the original date.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on March 28, 2020, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 28, 2020, 01:23:48 PM
Too much money would have been tied up - and lost - to make a change closer to the original date.

Besides, at this point I don't think late May is a safe bet given how cautious everyone under the sun who might be able to obstruct the 500 might be.  Don't forget, we're talking an event that handily has over 200,000 in attendance. 

kwellada

Quote from: nexus73 on March 26, 2020, 05:53:02 PM
^^^

Rick

I went to college at Northern Arizona in Flagstaff and lived there a bit after I didn't graduate.  It's a beautiful area, to be sure.  The winters are unpredictable.  Some years you get absolutely dumped on with snow (3' blizzards) and other years, nothing.  But wind seemed like it was constant and that's gets really nippy at that high altitude.

When I was starting to look to move back to Arizona a long time ago (February of this year), I did check out Flagstaff's real estate but it's very expensive.  Tucson was my next go-to spot in Arizona.  The heat is still bad in the summer, but not quite as oppressive as Phoenix has gotten. 

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

SP Cook

Formula One team proposed a "camp" where all the drivers could get the disease, recover, be immune (I'm not sure that this is the type of disease that you get once and then have life immunity) and restart the race season.

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/03/30/red-bulls-marko-says-he-proposed-formula-one-coronavirus-camp/

formulanone

Quote from: SP Cook on March 30, 2020, 12:17:19 PM
Formula One team proposed a "camp" where all the drivers could get the disease, recover, be immune (I'm not sure that this is the type of disease that you get once and then have life immunity) and restart the race season.

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/03/30/red-bulls-marko-says-he-proposed-formula-one-coronavirus-camp/

I think the injury he suffered 48 years ago (a stone through the helmet's visor) has come closer to his brain.

hbelkins

Calipari says he expects five UK players to enter the NBA draft (if there is one). I know there is talk of allowing an extra season of eligibility because the tournament was wiped out, but it sounds like most of these guys wouldn't take advantage of that if the NCAA allows it.

I watched a bunch of old NCAA tournament replays on Saturday. You'd think that after all these years, Pitino would learn to guard the inbounds passer, or K wouldn't burn his last timeout with five miinutes to go and then have Tubby Smith coach rings around him the rest of the game.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Between CBS and CBSSN the C******** L****** game has been rerun 6 times so far.  By far the oldest game they have shown.  We know CBS hates UK.   

Anyway, the extra eligibility issue is a tough one.  The spring sports, like baseball/softball, track, lacrosse, I get.  They never had a season.  But the winter sports, well, no just at the "one and done" UK level, but at all levels, it stinks for those guys, but life is not always fair.  There are only so many scholarships, so many spots on the teams, so many minutes of play time.  What they would be trying to do is accommodate five years of athletes in a space made for four.  Somebody is going to get done in.  The guys who got a 4 year ride need to take the hit and free their spot for next year's crop.

Stephane Dumas

Too bad then Google translator can't translate audios exterpts, I heard from this audio from a radio station in Quebec City then the impact of the aftermath of the coronovirus crisis on some sports teams in the NHL, NFL, NBA MLB.  Some NHL teams will be hit very hard.
https://radiox.com/rnc/espoir-pour-les-reveurs-des-nordiques/2020/03/31/#main

mgk920

I heard this morning (*NOT* a 01-April prank, BTW) that for the first time since World War II, the All-England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club has canceled the 2020 Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wimbledon-canceled-coronavirus-outbreak

:no:

Mike

ftballfan

Quote from: mgk920 on April 01, 2020, 07:41:29 PM
I heard this morning (*NOT* a 01-April prank, BTW) that for the first time since World War II, the All-England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club has canceled the 2020 Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/wimbledon-canceled-coronavirus-outbreak

Mike
Also in the UK, Edinburgh has cancelled all five of its August festivals. The British Grand Prix is still on for now in mid-July (assuming Formula 1 doesn't pull the plug on its season, which seems more and more likely every day)

mgk920

'The Open' (British Open) is also off for this year, again for the first time wince WWII.

Mike

bing101

mgk920

The Masters has been rescheduled for early November, 2020-11-09 to 2020-11-15.

Mike

Bruce

Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

SP Cook

Phoenix average highs/lows:  May: 94/69, June: 104/77, July: 106/83.  And sunset in DST free Arizona in summer equates to 10:20 EDT, remembering that the vast majority of the population lives in ET or CT. 

While the Diamondbacks stadium is domed, none of the spring training parks they propose to use is. 

At best they could maybe start games at 9AM local or something. 

In other similar ideas, the NBA is said to be looking at just having its playoffs in Las Vegas, fan-free.  UNLV has three venues (the men's Thomas and Mack Center, the women's Cox Pavilion and their practice facility that adjoin one another) : and the NHL might head to, wait for it, North Dakota. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.