News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Dynamo Dresden in the 2. Bundesliga now has to go into a two week quarantine which puts the start of German soccer at risk.

gonealookin

Quote from: ftballfan on May 09, 2020, 08:00:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 09, 2020, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 09, 2020, 12:07:26 PM
NASCAR realigned it's 2020 schedule.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/05/08/nascar-2020-schedule-realignment-chicagoland-richmond-sonoma/

Cutting Sonoma was a smart move.  The Bay Area is super strict with virus anything and even the State has generally been unfriendly to any real attempts of reactivating sports.  It's been pondered locally that the NFL teams might have to play out of state possibly. 
If the NFL teams were required to play out of state, would the Rams, 49ers, and Chargers play 16 road games or would the NFL help them with setting up a "home" stadium outside of CA a la the 2005 Saints?

I've been speculating that some of California's MLB teams might play their seasons in AAA ballparks.  Oakland A's at their affiliate's park in Las Vegas and LA Angels at theirs in Salt Lake City.  Those would be at least a little better than playing in the Arizona heat at their spring training ballparks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on May 09, 2020, 10:23:01 PM

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/05/08/nascar-2020-schedule-realignment-chicagoland-richmond-sonoma/

Cutting Sonoma was a smart move.  The Bay Area is super strict with virus anything and even the State has generally been unfriendly to any real attempts of reactivating sports.  It's been pondered locally that the NFL teams might have to play out of state possibly. 
If the NFL teams were required to play out of state, would the Rams, 49ers, and Chargers play 16 road games or would the NFL help them with setting up a "home" stadium outside of CA a la the 2005 Saints?

I've been speculating that some of California's MLB teams might play their seasons in AAA ballparks.  Oakland A's at their affiliate's park in Las Vegas and LA Angels at theirs in Salt Lake City.  Those would be at least a little better than playing in the Arizona heat at their spring training ballparks.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the California teams ends up in Glendale, AZ.  The Chargers ended up playing out in Tempe once when they had really bad wildfires in San Diego.  I'm sure college stadiums in places like Oregon, Nevada, and Utah could also be used if California still insists on not letting sports happen.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 09, 2020, 10:27:59 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the California teams ends up in Glendale, AZ.  The Chargers ended up playing out in Tempe once when they had really bad wildfires in San Diego.  I'm sure college stadiums in places like Oregon, Nevada, and Utah could also be used if California still insists on not letting sports happen.

Once California figures out how much tax revenue they're going to lose they will suddenly find a way to let teams play there.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 09, 2020, 10:34:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 09, 2020, 10:27:59 PM

Once California figures out how much tax revenue they're going to lose they will suddenly find a way to let teams play there.

They don't seem to be all that interested in tax revenue period, especially with the looming massive budget deficit.  It took three counties and several cities rebelling State Orders just to get the State started on Phase 2 which opened things like furniture stores.  It likely will be a serious fight to get sports going, especially around San Francisco Bay.  The Bay Area is even more restrictive than the State is currently dictating. 

mgk920

Quote from: GaryV on May 09, 2020, 02:49:38 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 09, 2020, 12:29:17 PM
The Bundesliga is resuming May 16.
Without spectators. 

They have listed a maximum of 322 people allowed.  Which seems to be a weirdly specific number.  Consensus on a soccer board is that the 22 are probably the 11 x 2 players on the field; each team has up to 150 more people allowed.  And since it says max, it might be that those 150 are broken down into categories (e.g. subs, coaches, trainers, medical, ...) each with their own specific limits.

Also game officials, including the referee, two linesmen and anyone else in that capacity, ball boys/girls, grounds crew along with the media.  Likely closer to 25-40 non-players for each team, including subs who'll be suiting up.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

I'm watching the NASCAR pre-race at Darlington.  So far all this has been a pretty bizarre watch with all the split screen commentators and super long microphones for driver interviews.  I'm kind of finding the race name "Real Heroes 400" kind of hokey...granted I get it that it's supposed to be well intended.  There seems to be some sort of obsession with the broadcast on emphasizing "being safe at home" constantly.  Hopefully some of this broadcast stuff stops as the race gets going.  I'm debating on switching to MRN to see if they are doing a more straight lace broadcast of the race.  I'm thinking that this kind of stuff is going to be common in the early broadcasts as other sports start get going again. 

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2020, 03:41:13 PM
I'm watching the NASCAR pre-race at Darlington.  So far all this has been a pretty bizarre watch with all the split screen commentators and super long microphones for driver interviews.  I'm kind of finding the race name "Real Heroes 400" kind of hokey...granted I get it that it's supposed to be well intended.  There seems to be some sort of obsession with the broadcast on emphasizing "being safe at home" constantly.  Hopefully some of this broadcast stuff stops as the race gets going.  I'm debating on switching to MRN to see if they are doing a more straight lace broadcast of the race.  I'm thinking that this kind of stuff is going to be common in the early broadcasts as other sports start get going again.

It's almost as if we should just stop with sports until normal can be achieved, because the media can't help but make it all weird when it doesn't need to be. I really don't even find myself missing sports right now, and people like Blake Snell of the TB Rays whining about losing pay has made me more apathetic. I understand plenty ARE missing sports so I am all for a gung-ho restart to most of it, but I may not personally be back for it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on May 17, 2020, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2020, 03:41:13 PM

It's almost as if we should just stop with sports until normal can be achieved, because the media can't help but make it all weird when it doesn't need to be. I really don't even find myself missing sports right now, and people like Blake Snell of the TB Rays whining about losing pay has made me more apathetic. I understand plenty ARE missing sports so I am all for a gung-ho restart to most of it, but I may not personally be back for it.

I don't agree (at least not fully), I think some sports (racing included) are ready to get going again.  Sitting around waiting for everything to be fine in potentially two years isn't a likely prospect for many sports leagues and most racing series would be among them.  Personally my preference would be just to go over the safety stuff in the pits and with the drivers then just leave it as is.  So far the actual race broadcast has been pretty much normal.  From what I understand about UFC 249 things normalized pretty quickly in the broadcast as the actual event got going.  The lack of fans in the stands really isn't all that notable.  But then again the cars in motor racing almost completely drown out spectators until the end of the race anyways.

Either way, I find it nice to have an actual diversion to look forward to for a change in the sports world.  There are only so many rehashed sports events and daily factoids about what happened on "insert day" that I can stomach.  I can't occupy every single day with work or going out for a run, ride, or hike so I'll take what I can get.  Now if baseball can get something going that would be nice for some zone-out time at night.

hbelkins

Jimmie Johnson wrecked out while leading, so I'm not complaining too much.

I didn't watch any of the pre-race stuff. When I turned it on, they were interviewing Bowyer, and then they had a remote invocation and "Hootie" (Darius Rucker) offered a terrible version of the national anthem. If there was a "most famous words in motorsports," I missed it.

NASCAR attendance had dropped quite a bit, to the point where it was no strange sight to see totally empty sections of grandstands, so the completely empty track isn't all that unfamiliar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

For what it was worth the race broadcast felt normal and so did the race.  The lack of fans really wasn't all that noticeable until Kevin Harvick pointed it out during his post race burn out.  About the only thing I really missed at all was a Friday afternoon qualifying session. I always enjoyed watching those on days off.  I don't really see why the teams couldn't just show up at the track and do a quick qualifying session in the early morning...well aside from driver pre-race hydration.  Any form of qualifying would be better IMO over a random field draw, but that would be my only gripe about how the actually racing event went. 

Bruce

Bundesliga is back, and the Premier League is looking at returning in June with Project Restart. MLS teams are also being allowed to start training and could be playing in a mini-tournament in Orlando sometime in June or July.

Bundesliga substitutes have to sit in the stands:

https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/1261695133055176710

Some stadiums have cardboard cutotus of fans (who paid to "appear", with proceeds going to charity)

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1261555734019334146
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

SEWIGuy

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2020, 06:09:41 PM

I didn't watch any of the pre-race stuff. When I turned it on, they were interviewing Bowyer, and then they had a remote invocation and "Hootie" (Darius Rucker) offered a terrible version of the national anthem. If there was a "most famous words in motorsports," I missed it.

NASCAR attendance had dropped quite a bit, to the point where it was no strange sight to see totally empty sections of grandstands, so the completely empty track isn't all that unfamiliar.

If "the most famous words" were spoken, it was during a commercial break. I had it on and wasn't paying all that much attention to the race, but I did notice the cars weren't running when they went to commercial and then were starting to roll when they returned.

I thought I heard Rucker flub a lyric. It sounded like he sang "gave proof through the light that our flag was still there." That'd be an odd mistake to make, so I may well have misheard him.

I wonder how many hardcore NASCAR fans will object to Wednesday's race being 400 km instead of some number of miles.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 18, 2020, 09:08:29 AM

If "the most famous words" were spoken, it was during a commercial break. I had it on and wasn't paying all that much attention to the race, but I did notice the cars weren't running when they went to commercial and then were starting to roll when they returned.

I thought I heard Rucker flub a lyric. It sounded like he sang "gave proof through the light that our flag was still there." That'd be an odd mistake to make, so I may well have misheard him.

I wonder how many hardcore NASCAR fans will object to Wednesday's race being 400 km instead of some number of miles.

A lot of races have used km before.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 18, 2020, 09:11:49 AM

Mostly road course races.  Personally I don't care if the race distances are shorter, they are still races. 

mgk920

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 18, 2020, 09:11:49 AM

Many oval NASCAR races have been km for many years now.  It's nothing new.

The strange race distance length 'winner' is F1, their official race length is the first lap that is completed after 305 km (about 190 miles) (260 km at Monaco).  Also, absent a suspension of any race, it can be shorter - Formula 1 has a two hour time limit on races and if one goes over two hours from start, the leader at the end of the lap where the two hour limit is exceeded is shown the chequered flag.

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 18, 2020, 09:00:34 AM
FC Seoul went with the sex dolls in the stands route.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1262337686649614336?s=20

Accidentally?  How do you accidentally put a bunch of objects of any kind in seats?

hbelkins

I wonder if yesterday's NASCAR race may not have been v2.0 of the infamous 1979 Daytona 500 blizzard "there's a fight in the infield" race?

Judging from some of the random comments I saw under the trending #NASCARisBack hashtag on Twitter, a number of people tuned in to a race for the first time and are now fans.

They're going to enjoy seeing classic clips such as the Craven-Kurt Busch Darlington finish and "I just meant to rattle his cage" and other things that have happened in the sport's recent history, just as I did the clips from the aforementioned Daytona race and "the pass in the grass" and other things that happened before I became a fan.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

I watched the race for half an hour and decided I'm just not quite that desperate for live sports events.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2020, 01:52:59 PM
I wonder if yesterday's NASCAR race may not have been v2.0 of the infamous 1979 Daytona 500 blizzard "there's a fight in the infield" race?

Judging from some of the random comments I saw under the trending #NASCARisBack hashtag on Twitter, a number of people tuned in to a race for the first time and are now fans.

They're going to enjoy seeing classic clips such as the Craven-Kurt Busch Darlington finish and "I just meant to rattle his cage" and other things that have happened in the sport's recent history, just as I did the clips from the aforementioned Daytona race and "the pass in the grass" and other things that happened before I became a fan.

It definitely can't hurt to get out there with live events while the more mainstream sports are wallowing around figuring out what to do.  There is only so many E60 and 30 for 30 episodes that people will take. 

jakeroot

Quote from: GaryV on May 18, 2020, 01:14:43 PM

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1262337686649614336

Accidentally?  How do you accidentally put a bunch of objects of any kind in seats?

I'm going to guess that, whoever installed the dolls, was a bit confused why they were so realistic :-D They were trying to do the right thing by putting some fans in the stadium, of course.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2020, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: GaryV on May 18, 2020, 01:14:43 PM

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1262337686649614336

I'm going to guess that, whoever installed the dolls, was a bit confused why they were so realistic :-D They were trying to do the right thing by putting some fans in the stadium, of course.

They got an Uncanny Valley thing going for sex dolls.  Then again they do have masks covering the mouthes which doesn't help.  Someone would have to had sat there and put those masks on...kind of curious what the thought process was there with the puckered doll lips. 

Mapmikey

They definitely did "Drivers Start Your Engines...", done by all the medical staff folks they were honoring.

The Phoenix races have been km for quite a few years now.  During the gas crisis in the early 70s they shortened a bunch of their races by 10% resulting in a lot of odd distances being run.

The shortest tracks run round numbers of laps that don't work out in rounded miles - Martinsville runs 500 laps which is 263 miles.

Yesterday was the first race I've watched this year.  Decent race.  Kinda not been watching recently as all the familiar names to me are retiring, the rules have been constantly changing and there's only so many Stenhouse wrecks one can watch.

Max Rockatansky

The Darlington Race was apparently the most viewed NASCAR event since the 2017 Daytona 500. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nascars-first-race-since-coronavirus-231148395.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.