News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

The first major North American sporting event since everything was shut down is tomorrow, with the Belmont Stakes running 3/8 mile shorter than its usual 1½ miles, and serving as the first leg of the triple crown instead of the usual final leg.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 19, 2020, 05:36:24 PM
The first major North American sporting event since everything was shut down is tomorrow, with the Belmont Stakes running 3/8 mile shorter than its usual 1½ miles, and serving as the first leg of the triple crown instead of the usual final leg.
Somewhere Jeff Bezos is like "˜Well, this is still better than no horseshit at all' ;)

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on June 18, 2020, 07:15:38 PM
Quote from: oscar on June 18, 2020, 05:14:33 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 18, 2020, 04:59:31 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on June 18, 2020, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2020, 04:31:29 PM
And, it just ruined the National League. They're going to use the DH for whatever season they play this year and also for next year.

The plan is for 2 years, until everybody realizes that it's better and they adopt it permanently.

Yep.  They are using this to backdoor its way in.  And its great!

I disagree. I don't mind having just the AL with the DH, as a refuge for pitchers who can't hit and hitters who can't field. But leave the NL alone, with its premium on managerial strategy. Even two years with the DH in the NL will be unfair to the NL teams, who are locked into personnel and management decisions optimized for no DH (except some World Series and other interleague games).
I like the difference between the two leagues. I felt like Torre gave the Yankees an advantage with a more NL managerial style in the AL and some substitution quirks other managers wouldn't have been open to. Weird things make the game fun.

Pinch-hitting for the pitcher and/or making double substitutions to shake up the batting order late in a game are classic National League managerial strategies that will be long-gone. I do realize, as someone else said, that this is just for whatever season is played this year plus next year, but it's been widely acknowledged that this is probably a way for the MLBPA to back-door it into permanence.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Last I checked the PGA and NASCAR still had major sporting events.  I certainly would put them both on a higher tier in the sports world these days over horse racing.   

ftballfan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 19, 2020, 11:47:04 PM

Last I checked the PGA and NASCAR still had major sporting events.  I certainly would put them both on a higher tier in the sports world these days over horse racing.   
I agree. There are parts of the country where NASCAR is/was more popular than the NBA or NHL.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ftballfan on June 20, 2020, 12:17:44 AM

I agree. There are parts of the country where NASCAR is/was more popular than the NBA or NHL.
Not up here in New England, nobody ever talks or knows about nascar.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Funnily enough, I thought NASCAR's Rockingham race was NH, not NC for a number of years.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 20, 2020, 12:51:10 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 20, 2020, 12:17:44 AM

Never been to a race at Loudon?  The modified series had a huge following up there in New England, especially back in the 1990s.  My Dad ran a show car tour in Connecticut for Dave Marcis when Prodigy was the sponsor, we had hundreds of people show up for the autograph sessions.   

NWI_Irish96

None of the events that the PGA and NASCAR have had to date would qualify as "major" within those sports. I guess maybe the 600 at Charlotte could be considered major, but it's not on the level of the Daytona 500 or the championship race.

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2020, 08:55:30 AM

Never been to a race at Loudon?  The modified series had a huge following up there in New England, especially back in the 1990s.  My Dad ran a show car tour in Connecticut for Dave Marcis when Prodigy was the sponsor, we had hundreds of people show up for the autograph sessions.

He wasn't born yet.    :-D

hbelkins

Looks like my comment about baseball strategy in the NL, and NASCAR, got removed.  :pan: :-( :thumbdown:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on June 20, 2020, 11:08:45 AM

Speculative deduction that there is still far more NASCAR and PGA fans in New England over Horse Racing fans during his life time though.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2020, 07:56:20 PM
Looks like my comment about baseball strategy in the NL, and NASCAR, got removed.  :pan: :-( :thumbdown:
If you want to limit it to sports, we'll allow it to stay. ;)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2020, 08:31:42 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 20, 2020, 11:08:45 AM

Speculative deduction that there is still far more NASCAR and PGA fans in New England over Horse Racing fans during his life time though.
Probably, but horse racing is even more obscure.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 20, 2020, 11:00:32 AM
None of the events that the PGA and NASCAR have had to date would qualify as "major" within those sports. I guess maybe the 600 at Charlotte could be considered major, but it's not on the level of the Daytona 500 or the championship race.

The Coca-Cola 600 @ Charlotte is one of the top 4 events of the season.
1) Longest race of the season.
2) Memorial Day weekend, and drivers sometimes attempt both it & the Indy 500 in the same day (1100 miles).
3) It's a 'home' race for NASCAR, as almost all the teams are in the Charlotte area.

Alps

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2020, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2020, 07:56:20 PM
If you want to limit it to sports, we'll allow it to stay. ;)
restored the non-political half

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 21, 2020, 12:03:26 AM

2) Memorial Day weekend, and drivers sometimes attempt both it & the Indy 500 in the same day (1100 miles).
3) It's a 'home' race for NASCAR, as almost all the teams are in the Charlotte area.

It was also one of the races included in the old Winston Million -- the biggest (Daytona 500), the longest (World/Coke 600), the oldest (Southern 500) and the fastest (the Talladega race that was included.)

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on June 22, 2020, 01:36:41 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 21, 2020, 12:03:26 AM

It was also one of the races included in the old Winston Million -- the biggest (Daytona 500), the longest (World/Coke 600), the oldest (Southern 500) and the fastest (the Talladega race that was included.)

Other than the Daytona 500, there seems to have been a gradual shift in the past twenty years to de-emphasize some of the "great" events. I suppose the payouts used to vary greatly, TV scheduling/coverage was patchy or even non-existent, but since most teams run the entire season schedule, it's all about the first race and building momentum from there. And I think that the major sponsorship packages had a big part of that...which is why having so many races actually dilutes things a little.

I still see the "500 mile" races as the important ones (along with the 600). 

thspfc

Wow, that's crazy. Racing 500 miles, jumping on a plane, racing 600 more miles. I can't imagine how exhausted those drivers must be at the end of the day.

Here's my list of NASCAR's most important races:
1. Daytona 500
2. Championship race (used to be Homestead, is now Phoenix)
3. October Talladega race
4. Coke Zero 400 (Daytona July race)
5. Coke 600

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 23, 2020, 10:20:40 PM
Wow, that's crazy. Racing 500 miles, jumping on a plane, racing 600 more miles. I can't imagine how exhausted those drivers must be at the end of the day.

Here's my list of NASCAR's most important races:
1. Daytona 500
2. Championship race (used to be Homestead, is now Phoenix)
3. October Talladega race
4. Coke Zero 400 (Daytona July race)
5. Coke 600

I always found it anticlimactic that the season ended at Homestead and now Phoenix.  Atlanta generally offered a better race because of the 1.5 tri-oval configuration.   Usually at Homestead and Phoenix someone usually dominates the race. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: thspfc on June 23, 2020, 10:20:40 PM

Tony Stewart did it quite a few times!

SEWIGuy

Stewart did it twice.  In 2001 he finished sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.  He had to go to the back of the field in Charlotte because he missed the mandatory driver's meeting.  Prior to 1994, Charlotte was not a night race.  Occasionally they were held on different days though.

NWI_Irish96

Since we've been discussing NASCAR: I'm in the middle of re-watching The West Wing, and there is an episode where the first lady attends a NASCAR race in Martinsville--in January. Not even in a pandemic world is there ever going to be a race in Virginia in January. Also, in the world of The West Wing, Jamie McMurray can in at Martinsville even though in real life he never won at any track shorter than 1½ miles.

hbelkins

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 24, 2020, 08:47:58 AM
Stewart did it twice.  In 2001 he finished sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.  He had to go to the back of the field in Charlotte because he missed the mandatory driver's meeting.  Prior to 1994, Charlotte was not a night race.  Occasionally they were held on different days though.

Montoya did it at least once, I believe. And didn't one or both Gordons (Robby or Jeff) try it?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2020, 03:26:17 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 24, 2020, 08:47:58 AM

Montoya did it at least once, I believe. And didn't one or both Gordons (Robby or Jeff) try it?

Robbie Gordon has done it a number of times.  Neither Jeff nor Montoya have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Duty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.