News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most iconic feature of each state

Started by Flint1979, April 11, 2020, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 05:36:51 PM
For Indiana if we are going for a natural feature I would say the Indiana Dunes.  Regardless I think the state is far more associated with the likes of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.   With Kentucky the Mammoth Cave is really all I can think that is on a top tier.  What about something like Arkansas?...Hot Springs National Park definitely isn't on the top tier of the Park Service list.  Others that come to mind I don't have a good answer for are Oklahoma and Alabama.

Actually, Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas may not be a top tier park in the NPS, but it was the first national reservation, which predated Yellowstone by 40 years and even Arkansas' formation as a state.  It's probably closest to being something that those outside of the state think of when they think of the state, other than possibly diamond hunting in Murfreesboro at the Crater of Diamonds State Park.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 12, 2020, 10:53:40 PM
Just thought of a better one for New Mexico: the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival.
I wouldn't count that, as it's not a permanent feature. Would have to count Mardi Gras for Louisiana.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 12, 2020, 11:17:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 05:36:51 PM
For Indiana if we are going for a natural feature I would say the Indiana Dunes.  Regardless I think the state is far more associated with the likes of Indianapolis Motor Speedway.   With Kentucky the Mammoth Cave is really all I can think that is on a top tier.  What about something like Arkansas?...Hot Springs National Park definitely isn't on the top tier of the Park Service list.  Others that come to mind I don't have a good answer for are Oklahoma and Alabama.

Actually, Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas may not be a top tier park in the NPS, but it was the first national reservation, which predated Yellowstone by 40 years and even Arkansas' formation as a state.  It's probably closest to being something that those outside of the state think of when they think of the state, other than possibly diamond hunting in Murfreesboro at the Crater of Diamonds State Park.

Perhaps, although I've found that it mostly comes up in conversation among the National Park collector crowd to which I admit being a part of.  I actually really enjoyed Hot Springs when I visited back in 2014.  I found a way to hike up to the Mountain Tower from Central Avenue/AR 7 which was kind of cool.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 08:15:01 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 07:45:56 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 12, 2020, 07:21:30 PM
Minnesota could be the Mississippi River Headwaters.
I'd go with the Mall of America.

That's pretty depressing and a call back to an era that has long died.  Minnesota has to be something outdoor oriented, it has one of the best recreational environments in the Midwest.  Why not something like Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior?

While Split Rock is possibly the most famous lighthouse on the entire Great Lakes, I think to someone from outside the Lakes it's just another lighthouse in a region full of them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 12, 2020, 11:45:25 PM

That's pretty depressing and a call back to an era that has long died.  Minnesota has to be something outdoor oriented, it has one of the best recreational environments in the Midwest.  Why not something like Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior?

While Split Rock is possibly the most famous lighthouse on the entire Great Lakes, I think to someone from outside the Lakes it's just another lighthouse in a region full of them.

Suffice to say I'm someone from the Great Lake Region originally, I think that I even still have cousins in Duluth?  Anything in the Twin Cities that might not be thinking of aside from the Mall that might be notable to the general public. 

dlsterner

Quote from: Beltway on April 12, 2020, 09:52:39 AM

Maryland -- the Chesapeake Bay.  Contender -- Fort McHenry.

Didn't see any suggestions for Maryland other than Beltway's.  A good sub-feature of Chesapeake Bay would be the dual span Bay Bridge.

Could also consider Baltimore's Inner Harbor or the Naval Academy in Annapolis.  Was tempted to be a smartass and include The Block in Baltimore but thought better of it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:26:42 PM
Perhaps, although I've found that it mostly comes up in conversation among the National Park collector crowd to which I admit being a part of.  I actually really enjoyed Hot Springs when I visited back in 2014.  I found a way to hike up to the Mountain Tower from Central Avenue/AR 7 which was kind of cool.

I'm pretty sure I've been on the same hike.  I used to have a Lance truck camper for my 2000 Dodge 3500 that I've been all over the country with my wife in (well 29 states anyway) before we settled down to start a business and raise children.  We setup at the Gulpha Gorge Campground right off of AR 7, and it had a hiking trail that went over the mountain between the campground and Bathhouse Row, right past the observation tower you spoke of.

Scott5114

I'm a little amused that my joke suggestion of the Craig County sign was ruled as being too obscure, but then, nobody else could come up with anything more iconic.

Here's a suggestion of a road feature that is more likely to be recognized by the general public:

In before a Tulsan complains that it doesn't represent the rest of the state.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Why don't you contribute something of value to the topic of this thread??

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2020, 10:17:16 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 12, 2020, 09:42:30 PM
Without banning smart phones not sure how you could ban a smart phone app.  Many people including myself do not use smart phones or pay for nav apps.
Waze has a wide audience and is used by over 50 million people. Google Maps also recently added a police trap function, though is not as effective IMO as Waze is. Both Google Maps and Waze are free to use.
You are not being "trapped."  The limits are posted and the police cars are not invisible.

That won't help you with the police cars, especially those that are unmarked,  that are flowing in the traffic stream, in any case.  They use pacing, not radar or LIDAR, in any case.

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2020, 10:17:16 PM
Most traffic enforcement uses LIDAR and non-radio technology, so a radar detector is useless for that.
So why make it illegal?  I can drive to all 49 other states and utilize a radar detector 100% legally, but in Virginia, I'll get a fine. Is it really about safety or revenue?
No you cannot, if you are a commercial operator (are you?  Is that how you see so much of the highways of the country?) you cannot legally use a radar detector anywhere.

Unless you want to break the law and by a wide margin, you should not care.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Beltway on April 13, 2020, 12:43:13 AM

Uh, are you sure this is the person you want to be flipping a bird to?

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2020, 01:53:10 AM
For Utah I think you'd have to go with Delicate Arch

I would have guessed the Smith Apartments on 300 E downtown. Or maybe the Le Caille restaurant in Sandy?

One should be familiar with film to understand these nominations.

Beltway

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2020, 01:00:14 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 13, 2020, 12:43:13 AM
Uh, are you sure this is the person you want to be flipping a bird to?
I don't "flip birds" at people.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2020, 09:21:56 PM
Virginia is the only state in the United States to prohibit radar detectors in passenger vehicles. There's no reason they should be... unless there's another motive behind police traps besides safety.
To deter scofflaws.  Why would anyone want a radar detector unless you want to speed and by a wide margin, then it shouldn't even be on your mind let alone complaining about it online.

Why did you again start a discussion about speeding in a thread that has nothing to do with it?

Oh please. You're the one that started this crap. Lighten up, Francis. :rolleyes:

Quote from: Beltway on April 12, 2020, 01:05:29 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2020, 11:37:56 AM
Quote from: LM117 on April 12, 2020, 09:30:31 AM

Gotta love Virginia!

I was surprised to pass over the border a couple of days ago and not see a "Radar Detectors Illegal"  sign. Probably just got knocked down.

Speeders have a rather shuttered and blinkered and limited view of what is important.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on April 13, 2020, 06:52:33 AM
Why did you again start a discussion about speeding in a thread that has nothing to do with it?
Oh please. You're the one that started this crap. Lighten up, Francis. :rolleyes:
You're full of it.  That photo was posted before I said anything about it.  Radar detectors are used for -- speeding!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 12, 2020, 11:45:25 PM

I think that about any lighthouse really. Probably because I'm from the state that has the most lighthouses.

LM117

Quote from: Beltway on April 13, 2020, 06:55:46 AM
That photo was posted before I said anything about it.

Yeah, no shit. That's why I quoted and bolded your sanctimonious reply to the comment sprjus4 made about the photo I posted, thinking that you would take the hint. Obviously, it didn't work. :banghead:

QuoteRadar detectors are used for -- speeding!

Further proving my earlier point...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on April 13, 2020, 06:55:46 AM
You're full of it.  That photo was posted before I said anything about it.  Radar detectors are used for -- speeding!

Stop.  The thread is "Most iconic feature of each state".  The picture was posted as an example of an iconic feature of VA.  No mention of speeding was involved, until you started.

We could sit here and imply hazards or conditions about numerous other iconic features mentioned of other state if we all just wanted to push each other's buttons.

TheGrassGuy

Alabama: ?
Alaska: Denali
Arizona: Grand Canyon
Arkansas: ?
California: Golden Gate Bridge
Colorado: Rocky Mountains
Connecticut: ?
Delaware: Brandywine?
Florida: Disney World
Georgia: idk, something in Savannah?
Hawaii: Waikiki Beach
Idaho: Craters of the Moon?
Illinois: Willis Tower
Indiana: Indianapolis Speedway
Iowa: ?
Kansas: the Plains
Kentucky: ?
Louisiana: French Quarter
Maine: Acadia National Park
Maryland: Ocean City?
Massachusetts: Cape Cod
Michigan: ?
Minnesota: ?
Mississippi: ?
Missouri: Gateway Arch
Montana: Glacier National Park
Nebraska: ?
Nevada: Las Vegas
New Hampshire: Mt. Washington
New Jersey: Statue of Liberty A.C. boardwalk? Gosh, it's my own state and I don't even know!
New Mexico: White Sands National Park (yes, it became a park in January)
New York: Statue of Liberty
North Carolina: Cape Hatteras
North Dakota: ?
Ohio: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Oklahoma: ?
Oregon: Mt. Hood
Pennsylvania: Liberty Bell
Rhode Island: The Breakers
South Carolina: ?
South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore
Tennessee: Graceland?
Texas: The Alamo
Utah: Zion National Park?
Vermont: ?
Virginia: Monticello
Washington: Space Needle
West Virginia: East River Mountain Tunnel?
Wisconsin: ?
Wyoming: Yellowstone National Park
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheHighwayMan3561

For Nebraska I was thinking Scott's Bluff or Chimney Rock, although the latter is a lot less impressive in person than I expected.

mgk920

Quote from: jakeroot on April 13, 2020, 01:05:32 AM
Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2020, 01:53:10 AM
For Utah I think you'd have to go with Delicate Arch

I would have guessed the Smith Apartments on 300 E downtown. Or maybe the Le Caille restaurant in Sandy?

One should be familiar with film to understand these nominations.

The LDS Temple and Tabernacle in Salt Lake City for Utah?

Mike

formulanone

When I travel outside Alabama, the first thing people most people want to talk about is University of Alabama football. But don't think that the Bryant-Denny-Saban-Alfa Stadium is actually "iconic"; it looks like any other modern stadium, really. After that, people ask about Talladega (being in the car business), or if they know their stuff about Huntsville, the Saturn V rocket. But the track is really just a slightly-lesser-known racetrack and the Saturn V is really more of a did-you-know? thing I'll casually mention to people in passing.

I would say either the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma or the statue of Vulcan in Birmingham would probably be better known. Opinions?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2020, 09:04:00 AM
For Nebraska I was thinking Scott's Bluff or Chimney Rock, although the latter is a lot less impressive in person than I expected.

Chimney Rock gets a lot of interest for the crowd that grew up with Oregon Trail. 

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on April 13, 2020, 10:34:00 AM
I would say either the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma or the statue of Vulcan in Birmingham would probably be better known. Opinions?

I like both choices, though the bridge is iconic for its historic significance rather than its aesthetic value.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CoreySamson

I'll try for a complete list:

Alabama: Edmund Pettus Bridge, Selma
Arkansas: Hot Springs National Park
Delaware: ?
Georgia: I-75/85 Concurrency in Atlanta
Hawaii: Kilauea
Idaho: Snake River?
Indiana: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Kansas: ?
Kentucky: Kentucky Derby
Maine: Some lighthouse?
Maryland: ?
Massachusetts: Fenway Park
Michigan: Mackinac Bridge
Minnesota: Cherry Bridge (or Mall of America)
Montana: ?
Nevada: Las Vegas Strip
New Hampshire: Old Man of the Mountain (or if that doesn't count, Mt Washington)
New Jersey: Atlantic City Boardwalk
New Mexico: Carlsbad Caverns
North Carolina: Kitty Hawk
North Dakota: Badlands
Ohio: Cedar Point
Oklahoma: Oral Roberts University architecture
Oregon: Columbia River
Rhode Island: ?
South Carolina: The Peachoid in Gaffney
Tennessee: Graceland
Utah: LDS Temple in SLC
Washington: Mt. Rainier
West Virginia: New River Gorge Bridge
Wyoming: Yellowstone
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 13, 2020, 11:33:27 AM
I'll try for a complete list:

Alabama: Edmund Pettus Bridge, Selma
Arkansas: Hot Springs National Park
Delaware: ?
Georgia: I-75/85 Concurrency in Atlanta
Hawaii: Kilauea
Idaho: Snake River?
Indiana: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Kansas: ?
Kentucky: Kentucky Derby
Maine: Some lighthouse?
Maryland: ?
Massachusetts: Fenway Park
Michigan: Mackinac Bridge
Minnesota: Cherry Bridge (or Mall of America)
Montana: ?
Nevada: Las Vegas Strip
New Hampshire: Old Man of the Mountain (or if that doesn't count, Mt Washington)
New Jersey: Atlantic City Boardwalk
New Mexico: Carlsbad Caverns
North Carolina: Kitty Hawk
North Dakota: Badlands
Ohio: Cedar Point
Oklahoma: Oral Roberts University architecture
Oregon: Columbia River
Rhode Island: ?
South Carolina: The Peachoid in Gaffney
Tennessee: Graceland
Utah: LDS Temple in SLC
Washington: Mt. Rainier
West Virginia: New River Gorge Bridge
Wyoming: Yellowstone
I'd chose a specific mountain for Colorado, rocky mountains sounds too vague.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.