why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Most iconic feature of each state

Started by Flint1979, April 11, 2020, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Buck87

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 11:56:35 AM
Cedar point?

Quote from: sbeaver44 on April 12, 2020, 11:59:01 AMRock and Roll Hall of Fame?

A yes, don't know how I didnt think of those. Both are better than my answers.

Max Rockatansky

Montana probably would be the Going-to-the-Sun Road or more unfortunately the Anaconda Exit Sign off I-94.  Little Big Horn was probably up there for a long time but that monument has lost all of it's luster in the last half century.  Most of the really notable parts of Yellowstone are located in Wyoming. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 12:30:43 PM
Montana probably would be the Going-to-the-Sun Road or more unfortunately the Anaconda Exit Sign off I-94.  Little Big Horn was probably up there for a long time but that monument has lost all of it's luster in the last half century.  Most of the really notable parts of Yellowstone are located in Wyoming.
I'd make it more specific to Lake MacDonald or the Garden Wall in Glacier.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Unfortunately I tend to agree most people probably would know South Dakota for Mount Rushmore or even Sturgis.  I would personally pick Custer State Park or Spearfish Canyon.  Theodore Roosevelt National Park is one of the few North Dakota standouts. 

jeffandnicole

NJ: Either the NJ Turnpike, Atlantic City, Jersey Tomatoes, the Jersey Shore (the coastline), or, ugh, the Jersey Shore (the TV show).

Flint1979

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 12, 2020, 12:37:13 PM
NJ: Either the NJ Turnpike, Atlantic City, Jersey Tomatoes, the Jersey Shore (the coastline), or, ugh, the Jersey Shore (the TV show).
What about the Jersey Devil?

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 12, 2020, 12:38:55 PM
Ellis Island
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 12, 2020, 12:38:55 PM
Ellis Island

Jersey Devil is a good one.

Ellis Island is associated with NY, so not much of a Jersey icon, regardless which side of the border it's on.

Roadgeekteen

For Vermont, the Stowe ski resort or the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2020, 11:37:56 AM
Gotta love Virginia!
I was surprised to pass over the border a couple of days ago and not see a "Radar Detectors Illegal"  sign. Probably just got knocked down.

Speeders have a rather shuttered and blinkered and limited view of what is important.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jp the roadgeek

If those in power get their way, this will be the most iconic feature of CT

(but since the Charter Oak is gone, probably the state capitol dome or the Charles W Morgan at Mystic Seaport)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sbeaver44

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2020, 12:34:29 PM

I'd lean towards Lake MacDonald or Saint Mary Lake since most people who go to Glacier see them.  Saint Mary Lake even had that cool overview shot in The Shining I've always liked. 

mgk920

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
What about New Mexico?  That one is kind of a struggle to find something that really defines the state as a whole.  Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands are well known but more isolated to the southern part of the state.  US 66 as a whole might be what people know best from New Mexico as a state but that's a pretty vaguely defined long stretch to be a feature. 

To that end what about Colorado?  There are so many things in the Rockies that could fit on a feature filled list but there isn't really a singular thing that stands above the others...maybe Pikes Peak?
For Colorado maybe one of the popular ski resorts.

- I would say the chapel at the US Air Force Academy for Colorado.
- For Massachusetts, either the Old North Church or the USS Constitution (only ship in the USNavy's current active fleet to have sunk an enemy-flagged warship in battle, BTW).
- For Hawaii, I would include the USS Arizona Memorial.

Mike

webny99

Wow, 64 replies since my last forum check last night. Is this the fastest growing thread of all time?

Statue of Liberty was already mentioned for NY. That seems like the obvious choice.
However, if Upstate and the City could each get a pick, then Niagara Falls would represent Upstate. Plenty of other cool areas, like the Finger Lakes, Letchworth, and the Adirondacks, but none even come close to Niagara in terms of pure fame.

There's really only a handful of states with a runaway obvious choice. South Dakota, for one. Pennsylvania, for another, has got to be the Liberty Bell as far as I'm concerned (maybe the Hershey's factory? LOL!). For states that we're unsure about, it might help to look back at the old state quarters. Those usually had something pretty representative of the state on them, even if it was just a land feature.

hotdogPi

The Liberty Bell is inside a building. I wouldn't consider it to be a feature.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2020, 03:46:24 PM
The Liberty Bell is inside a building. I wouldn't consider it to be a feature.
Independence Hall, then...

...but, yeah, Liberty Bell is too iconic to ignore, no matter where it is.

Roadgeekteen

For Rhode Island, I would pick one of the Newport mansions.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 04:13:40 PM
For Rhode Island, I would pick one of the Newport mansions.

The Breakers.

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:36:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
What about New Mexico?  That one is kind of a struggle to find something that really defines the state as a whole.  Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands are well known but more isolated to the southern part of the state.  US 66 as a whole might be what people know best from New Mexico as a state but that's a pretty vaguely defined long stretch to be a feature. 

To that end what about Colorado?  There are so many things in the Rockies that could fit on a feature filled list but there isn't really a singular thing that stands above the others...maybe Pikes Peak?
For Colorado maybe one of the popular ski resorts.

Yeah same thing though, none of them really stand out above the others.  Maybe the Stanley Hotel given how that has become a popular culture icon and really is actually a pretty nice place to visit?

For fans of live music, Red Rocks Amphitheatre just outside Denver is about as iconic a venue as exists anywhere.

mgk920

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 01:42:55 PM

I'd lean towards Lake MacDonald or Saint Mary Lake since most people who go to Glacier see them.  Saint Mary Lake even had that cool overview shot in The Shining I've always liked.

The Isaac Walton Inn in Essex, MT?

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2020, 05:10:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 01:42:55 PM

The Isaac Walton Inn in Essex, MT?

Mike

Yes, just off US 2. 

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
Lambeau Field for Wisconsin?

Mike
Nah it's a football stadium nothing unique about it. I would say either House on the Rock or the rock formations in the dells are far more iconic.

Flint1979

Indiana -Wabash River.
Kentucky - Mammoth Cave
Tennessee - Smokey Mountains
Ohio might just be the Ohio River
North Carolina - Pilot Mountain
Florida - The Everglades

We got some of those I know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.