News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most iconic feature of each state

Started by Flint1979, April 11, 2020, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: gonealookin on April 12, 2020, 12:48:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
Lambeau Field for Wisconsin?

Mike

A few years ago on one of my baseball road trips I saw some Oakland A's games in Milwaukee, and with some of the time between games I drove up to Green Bay and did the Lambeau Field tour.  I loved that, I will never see a football game there but it was a terrific experience for a sports fan, and if you have the chance well worth the money.

I hearya on that!  My family has had a season ticket subscription with the Packers for as long as I've been alive and I get a feeling of awe every time I walk through that tunnel and into the stands on my way to our seats.

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

I think this thread would be better if done by outsiders. That said, I'm struggling to even think of one in most states. IMO it shouldn't be one that is gone (e.g. the Old Man in the Mountain for New Hampshire) or not well known by the general public (e.g. the craIG county sign for Oklahoma, which is also gone). Here is my list of the first thing that comes to mind for several states:
Alaska: Mt. Denali
Arizona: The Grand Canyon
California: Two things come to mind: The Golden Gate bridge for NorCal and the Hollywood sign for SoCal
Colorado: Aspen
Florida: Disney World
Illinois: Chicago Loop in general. In particular, Sears Tower and Cloud Gate
Indiana: The Indianapolis Speedway
Louisiana: The French Quarter of New Orleans
Maine: Acadia National Park
Massachusetts: The MIT's hacks. Also Cape Cod.
Missouri: Gateway Arch
Nebraska: The Kearney Archway
Nevada: Las Vegas Strip
New York: Manhattan in general. In particular, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty
North Carolina: The 12 foot 4 (formerly 11 foot 8) bridge. Also Cape Hatteras.
North Dakota: The KLVY-TV transmitter
Pennsylvania: Liberty Bell
South Dakota: Mount Rushmore
Texas: The Alamo
Utah: Delicate Arch
Virginia: The Pentagon
Washington: Space Needle with Mt. Rainier in the background
Wyoming: Old Faithful
Bonus! District of Columbia: The Capitol
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SSOWorld

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 12, 2020, 04:58:25 AM
I think this thread would be better if done by outsiders. That said, I'm struggling to even think of one in most states. IMO it shouldn't be one that is gone (e.g. the Old Man in the Mountain for New Hampshire) or not well known by the general public (e.g. the craIG county sign for Oklahoma, which is also gone). Here is my list of the first thing that comes to mind for several states:
FTFY (There is no mount in front of Denali)

Hawaii: Kilauea
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tdindy88

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 12, 2020, 05:23:12 AM

Another possible one for Hawaii would almost certainly be Diamond Head.

oscar

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 12, 2020, 06:04:58 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 12, 2020, 05:23:12 AM

Another possible one for Hawaii would almost certainly be Diamond Head.

Kilauea is a fairly short and stout volcano, not visually impressive except during its irregular lava flows. The dormant Haleakala volcano on Maui, and the dormant and often snow-capped Mauna Kea on the Big Island (you don't expect snow in Hawaii), are better. But I think Diamond Head is most iconic.

I agree with Denali in Alaska, even though it's often hard to see that very tall mountain through the clouds.

Utah's misnamed Delicate Arch (there are other arches much closer to collapse) is featured on license plates. 'Nuff said.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on April 12, 2020, 12:20:13 AM
As long as the feature doesn't have to represent the entire state (a problem with a divided state like Washington), I'm sure the Space Needle would be Washington's most iconic feature.

Geographically? Mt Rainier is on our licence plates, and it's visible from both the west and east sides of the state, so that might be a more fair nomination.

For roadgeeks, perhaps the Lake Washington floating bridges, or even the Hood Canal floating bridge. Second place, or perhaps even first, would certainly be the Narrows Bridge, given its history of not always staying put.
I would indeed go with Mt. Rainer for Washington. The Space Needle is up there.

sbeaver44

Is WV the New River Gorge Bridge?  It's on the State Quarter.  Otherwise, Harpers Ferry was the WV place in Carmen Sandiego USA.

Re: Least Most Recognizeable -- North Dakota?  What even is ND's?  Teddy Roosevelt NP?  (Beautiful place, but I didn't even know about it until we were already going to ND to visit a friend)

Max Rockatansky

Personally with Utah I've always associated it far more with Zion Canyon than the Delicate Arch.  Outside of the state I've most people don't know what the Delicate Arch even is but will at least have a passing knowledge of Zion and Zion National Park. 

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Perhaps so.  Other contenders -- Colonial Williamsburg, Skyline Drive, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Monticello, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

Maryland -- the Chesapeake Bay.  Contender -- Fort McHenry.

Pennsylvania -- Independence National Park and the Liberty Bell.  Other contenders -- Gettysburg National Military Park, Valley Forge and Valley Forge National Historical Park.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeekteen

Arizona: The Grand Canyon
California: Two things come to mind: The Golden Gate bridge for NorCal and the Hollywood sign for SoCal
Colorado: Aspen
Florida: Disney World
Illinois: Chicago Loop in general. In particular, Sears Tower and Cloud Gate
Indiana: The Indianapolis Speedway
Louisiana: The French Quarter of New Orleans
Maine: Acadia National Park
Massachusetts: The MIT's hacks. Also Cape Cod.
Missouri: Gateway Arch
Nebraska: The Kearney Archway
Nevada: Las Vegas Strip
New York: Manhattan in general. In particular, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty
North Carolina: The 12 foot 4 (formerly 11 foot 8) bridge. Also Cape Hatteras.
North Dakota: The KLVY-TV transmitter
Pennsylvania: Liberty Bell
South Dakota: Mount Rushmore
Texas: The Alamo
Utah: Delicate Arch
Washington: Space Needle with Mt. Rainier in the background
Wyoming: Old Faithful
Bonus! District of Columbia: The Capitol
New Hampshire would be Mt Washington.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

What about New Mexico?  That one is kind of a struggle to find something that really defines the state as a whole.  Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands are well known but more isolated to the southern part of the state.  US 66 as a whole might be what people know best from New Mexico as a state but that's a pretty vaguely defined long stretch to be a feature. 

To that end what about Colorado?  There are so many things in the Rockies that could fit on a feature filled list but there isn't really a singular thing that stands above the others...maybe Pikes Peak?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
What about New Mexico?  That one is kind of a struggle to find something that really defines the state as a whole.  Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands are well known but more isolated to the southern part of the state.  US 66 as a whole might be what people know best from New Mexico as a state but that's a pretty vaguely defined long stretch to be a feature. 

To that end what about Colorado?  There are so many things in the Rockies that could fit on a feature filled list but there isn't really a singular thing that stands above the others...maybe Pikes Peak?
For Colorado maybe one of the popular ski resorts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 11:33:44 AM

Yeah same thing though, none of them really stand out above the others.  Maybe the Stanley Hotel given how that has become a popular culture icon and really is actually a pretty nice place to visit?

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on April 12, 2020, 09:30:31 AM

Gotta love Virginia!

I was surprised to pass over the border a couple of days ago and not see a "Radar Detectors Illegal"  sign. Probably just got knocked down.

Max Rockatansky

Some short list ones for Oregon; Mount Hood, the Columbia River Highway, Voodoo Donuts, the Astoria Bridge, Cannon Beach, and Crater Lake. 

Rothman

For Utah, I vote Delicate Arch.  It's a singular, identifiable landmark.  Zion's a jaw-dropping beautiful place, but I think more people recognize the are than Zion Canyon.

Could also go with the LDS temple in SLC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Tom958

For Georgia, it's Stone Mountain, the Mount Rushmore of white supremacy. How crushingly embarrassing and depressing.  :banghead:

Roadgeekteen

How about Canadian provinces? CN tower or Niagra falls for ONT? Niagra falls could also work for NY to avoid city bias.

csw

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 11, 2020, 10:54:03 PM
Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with the Notre Dame Golden Dome a close second.
Hard disagree on the golden dome. I would put the Wabash River, Vincennes, Santa Claus, even the JW Marriott building above that.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 11:36:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 11:33:44 AM

Yeah same thing though, none of them really stand out above the others.  Maybe the Stanley Hotel given how that has become a popular culture icon and really is actually a pretty nice place to visit?
I think RMNP and Longs Peak in particular are pretty iconic.

Max Rockatansky

For Idaho maybe Shoshone Falls or Perrine Bridge?...either way Snake River Canyon would be up there. 

Buck87

For Ohio I would like to say Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial, but it's probably not known widely enough to qualify

So in that case, the answer is probably Ohio Stadium (the Horseshoe)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Buck87 on April 12, 2020, 11:54:37 AM
For Ohio I would like to say Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial, but it's probably not known widely enough to qualify

Cedar point?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Buck87 on April 12, 2020, 11:54:37 AM

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.