AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plattsburgh and Clinton County, NY Roadmeet - Spring 2021?  (Read 330 times)

cu2010

• Last Login: Today at 06:29:27 AM
Plattsburgh and Clinton County, NY Roadmeet - Spring 2021?
« on: July 26, 2020, 06:48:10 PM »

As I mentioned at the Utica meet, I'm looking to host a meet in the underrepresented North Country region of New York State. This meet would be based in Plattsburgh NY, with highlights including old and interesting bridges, roads near and straddling the Canadian border, the northern termini of both US 9 and US 11, the bridge to Vermont from Rouses Point, among others.

I'm looking to host this sometime in the spring of 2021, preferably mid May. North Country winters can go on well into April, so I don't want to schedule that early and risk getting snowed out, but May is generally pleasant. Obviously its way too early to set a specific date, but I mostly wanted to see what kind of interest there is. The North Country is a beautiful yet isolated region that many folks don't often get to, primarily because of its remoteness, so having a meet up here might get people to explore the region. Plattsburgh is one of the major hubs of the region, and contains many of the usual chain hotels and restaurants that most are accustomed to, and hotel prices typically aren't terrible.

Possible dates include:
May 1
May 8
May 15 (SUNY Plattsburgh commencement weekend; hotels more likely to be booked and expensive)
May 22 (Victoria Day weekend, shouldn't affect things too much but expect increased traffic in Plattsburgh and might put a damper on one of our stops)
May 29 (Memorial Day weekend, probably not the best)
June 5

Obviously I'm open to later dates, but early May tends to work best for me in terms of getting time off work to host a roadmeet. Plus, there is a walking tour scheduled and I'd rather walk in spring temperatures than summer ones. I still need to finish scouting the area (I have a rough itinerary written, but a couple stops may have to be scrapped). Hopefully this pandemic should be largely contained and things back to normal by the time May hits, but I'm still not opposed to hosting the lunch portion in a park somewhere in Plattsburgh and having folks bring their own food, even if we don't need to social distance.

Thoughts, concerns, feel free to chime in. Once I get an idea of general interest, I can start to flesh things out more. I'm hoping to do more scouting of the area within the next couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:27:41 PM by cu2010 »
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: August 03, 2020, 08:11:24 PM
Re: Plattsburgh and Clinton County, NY Roadmeet - Spring 2021?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »

I am potentially interested!  It would give me a reason to check out that part of Upstate New York.

The only concern I have is that I'm tentatively hosting a meet in the Outer Banks of North Carolina on April 24.  (I say "tentatively", of course, because it all depends on whether COVID is under control by then.)  If your Plattsburgh meet is scheduled for a date that's too close to April 24 (less than a two-week buffer), it might be tough for me to make it.
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 09:08:30 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »

I think this is a fun idea and hope to attend.  I'll have to see how everything shakes out and plan accordingly.  I'm also hoping to take a cross-country roadtrip as soon as this COVID thing finally goes away (or gets to a new stable condition allowing significant travel again), so I'll have to plan around this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

baugh17

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 11:03:29 PM
    • New York Routes
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:10:41 AM »

I would definitely be interested in attending this meet as it would give me an excuse to do some exploring around the North Country which is really the only part of New York that I haven't traveled to.  No preference on the dates right now as it's still early, but the options presented seem very reasonable.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 11:39:08 PM
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:39:16 AM »

I'm very likely if it falls between my dissertation defense and moving away from Albany. Waaaaaay too early to know, but if I'm free, I'll be there. Might be a good excuse to take a weekend to work on clinching Vermont roads, or just spend a day before/after hiking.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cu2010

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:21:37 AM »

The only concern I have is that I'm tentatively hosting a meet in the Outer Banks of North Carolina on April 24.  (I say "tentatively", of course, because it all depends on whether COVID is under control by then.)  If your Plattsburgh meet is scheduled for a date that's too close to April 24 (less than a two-week buffer), it might be tough for me to make it.

I have your OBX meet in mind when choosing dates, which is why I deliberately avoided April (plus North Country weather in April is extremely unpredictable anyways). My preference is either May 8 or 15, FWIW.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: August 03, 2020, 08:11:24 PM
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 06:25:45 AM »

I have your OBX meet in mind when choosing dates, which is why I deliberately avoided April (plus North Country weather in April is extremely unpredictable anyways). My preference is either May 8 or 15, FWIW.

Oh cool... thanks so much!  If it happens on May 8 or 15 and I don't have anything else in my personal life planned for around that time, there's a decent chance I'd be able to attend.  If you were to put this up to a vote, I'd vote for May 15 just to give myself a nice three-week buffer, but if more people prefer May 8 (or that's the date you go with), I should be okay with that... again, as long as nothing in my personal life prevents me from being able to attend.
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 09:08:30 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »

May 8 or 15 sound nice.  May 8 especially would fit quite nicely if I did the cross country trip before Memorial Day, though the 15th is doable too (albeit not quite as nice).  Or maybe it would be better to do that trip after Memorial Day instead.  Who knows.  I'm not planning anything (well, anything more than what I've already planned) until this coronavirus situation is stable enough for traveling to not be an issue - and even then I'll still be dependent on how the economic fallout affects New York.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 11:39:08 PM
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »

As of right now, May 8 and 15 are both looking free on my end. May 22 I can say for certain is a no for me, but don't set it based on me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cu2010

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »

I'm more inclined to choose the 8th over the 15th currently. May 15 is commencement at SUNY Plattsburgh, so hotels would likely be more expensive, plus increased traffic from out of town.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Diplomat of Solid Sound

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 07:37:20 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

FYI, May 8th I believe is part of Mother's Day weekend.
National Champion: 2001, 2002, 2004 x 2, 2008 X 3, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 X 2, 2015 x 3, 2016, 2017, & 2019.
I was OSU-LSU, before OSU-LSU was cool.

dgolub

• Last Login: August 01, 2020, 09:23:21 AM
    • East Coast Roads
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »

Interested!

That said, I'll also raise the topics of the Outer Banks and the coronavirus.  Personally, I don't plan on travelling anywhere that would require me to stay in a hotel until we're past the pandemic, so later is better as far as I'm concerned.

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: August 04, 2020, 04:07:55 PM
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 04:03:59 PM »

I will keep this in mind, I could finish of New York in terms of counties and can get a free stop over in PA on the way there and back but depends on my toy show schedule which should pick back up by then too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.