News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

4 counties common to 4 corners

Started by roadman65, August 11, 2020, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

We have AZ, UT, CO, and NM all common to four state corners which is the only place in the US that has happened.

In Florida we have three locations where 4 corners meet.

1) Lake, Orange, Osceola, and Polk meet near the intersection of US 27 and US 192.
2) Hillsborough, Polk, Hardee, and Manatee meet on FL 37 SE of Tampa.
3) DeSoto, Highlands, Glades, and Charlotte Counties in a rural area with no roads east of Punta Gorda, FL.

Any other situations?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Indiana:

1) Starke, Marshall, Pulaski, Fulton
2) Porter, LaPorte, Jasper, Starke

Starke County is part of two 4 corner points.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

In Maryland, Frederick Montgomery Carroll & Howard counties meet at Parr's Spring (the source of the South Branch Patapsco River), just south of I-70 exit 68 in Mt. Airy.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Kansas has a few of these.

My own county of Sedgwick has a four-corners with Sumner, Cowley, and Butler.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

I grew up not too far from one in Northern IL: DuPage, Kane, Will, and Kendall 4-corner in Aurora

Lake, McHenry, Cook, and Kane get close, but I think they just miss

Winnebago, Boone, DeKalb, and Ogle

Central IL has Vermilion, Champaign, Douglas, and Edgar

And I'm not too awful far from one in Southern IL: Gallatin, Saline, White, and Hamilton

Scott5114

Oklahoma has only one: Grant-Kay-Garfield-Noble.

There's dozens of them in IA and TX.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ftballfan

Michigan has a lot:
Van Buren-Cass-St. Joseph-Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo-St. Joseph-Branch-Calhoun
Montcalm-Ionia-Clinton-Gratiot
Mason-Oceana-Newaygo-Lake
Lake-Newaygo-Mecosta-Osceola
Ocesola-Mecosta-Isabella-Clare
Clare-Isabella-Midland-Gladwin
Benzie-Manistee-Wexford-Grand Traverse
Grand Traverse-Wexford-Missaukee-Kalkaska
Kalkaska-Missaukee-Roscommon-Crawford
Crawford-Roscommon-Ogemaw-Oscoda
Oscoda-Ogemaw-Iosco-Alcona
Antrim-Kalkaska-Crawford-Otsego
Otsego-Crawford-Oscoda-Montmorency
Montmorency-Oscoda-Alcona-Alpena

There are a few near-misses, such as Gratiot-Clinton-Shiawassee-Saginaw (Gratiot County and Shiawassee County have a short border) and Ingham-Jackson-Washtenaw-Livingston (Jackson County and Livingston County have a very short border)

I-55

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 04:37:45 PM
Indiana:

3) DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

formulanone

Five counties meet in Lake Okeechobee: Glades, Hendry, Palm Beach, Martin, and Okeechobee County.

Turns out that the State of Florida had to intervene in 1963, as Palm Beach County claimed all of it. Thus, the oddball quintipoint with limited accessibility.

DTComposer

California - given the squiggly nature of our county lines, there's not many (although several come close)
Santa Clara-Alameda-San Joaquin-Stanislaus
Tuolumne-Mariposa-Stanislaus-Merced

edit: both of these are close but not quite:
San Luis Obispo-Santa Barbara-Ventura-Kern
Monterey-Kings-San Luis Obispo-Kern

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: I-55 on August 11, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 04:37:45 PM
Indiana:

3) DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben

Thank you. I was thinking when I was posting it that I was missing one.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wxfree

Texas has a block of them in the Panhandle, the counties along I-40, the row to the south, and the two rows to the north (12).  There's a block of three rows five counties long around Lubbock (10).  There's another block from Gaines and Andrews Counties east to Abilene (excluding Gaines and Andrews, because they meet Dawson and Martin at two three-corners) (4).  There's one set in Midland and the three counties south and east (1).  There's a set from Wichita Falls two wide and three high (2).

I count 29 quadpoints involving 58 counties.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ohio has two "4-corners"
NE version: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Portage, Summit (near the old Geauga Lake & Sea World complex)
NW version: Henry, Wood, Hancock, Putnam
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US 89

Utah has two fully within its borders:

- Box Elder-Weber-Tooele-Davis, in the middle of the Great Salt Lake
- Emery-Grand-Wayne-San Juan, along the Green River

In addition to the aforementioned Four Corners, there are two more that also involve a state line:

- Franklin ID-Bear Lake ID-Cache UT-Rich UT
- Grand UT-Mesa CO-San Juan UT-Montrose CO

And then there are a whole bunch of near-misses, some much closer than others:

- Salt Lake-Summit-Utah-Wasatch
- Summit-Daggett-Duchesne-Uintah
- Carbon-Uintah-Emery-Grand (very close to being a true quadripoint)
- Millard-Sevier-Beaver-Piute
- Beaver-Piute-Iron-Garfield
- Oneida ID-Franklin ID-Box Elder UT-Cache UT
- Uinta WY-Sweetwater WY-Summit UT-Daggett UT

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Road Hog

Arkansas has two, both involving Howard County: Howard-Pike-Montgomery-Polk bordering the Ouachita National Forest, and Howard-Hempstead-Little River-Sevier in the middle of Millwood Lake.

GaryV

I am surprised at how few there are in Wisconsin compared to Michigan, given that they are both laid out in townships based on the Northwest Ordinance.  Many of Michigan's counties are in level tiers across the LP. 

There's probably places in MI (as noted by @ftballfan) that were intended to be 4-corners, but just miss due to surveying.

CNGL-Leudimin

I see the Four Corners has been mentioned by the OP, but not their constituent counties: San Juan UT & NM, Montezuma CO and Apache AZ.

I once found out that among the comarcas of Aragon, Spain there is a 4 corners also involving a provincial border: Ribera Baja del Ebro and Bajo Aragon Caspe in Zaragoza and Bajo Martin and Bajo Aragon in Teruel.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jemacedo9

PA has a regular one:  Warren, Forest, McKean, Elk

And an odd two, I think:  Clarion, Armstrong, Butler, Venango and Butler, Armstrong, Westmoreland, Allegheny

And a close call with:  Centre, Blair, Cambria, Clearfield

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2020, 04:52:01 PM

Here are the four-corner ones for Kansas.  Unless I've missed something, all of the other apparent ones are actually near misses.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

NJ has none, and it's really not even close.

Delaware doesn't even have 3 counties that connect to each other, since its 3 counties basically divide the state into North/Central/Southern regions.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've checked the map of NWS county warning areas at Wikipedia (which I once billed as a plan to reform the states :sombrero:) and there are no 4 corners among them. Scratch that, I've just found one 4 corners of county warning areas in Kansas: NWS Topeka (covering Anderson county), Kansas City/Pleasant Hill (Linn), Wichita (Allen) and Springfield MO (Bourbon). The famous Four Corners is only a tripoint in that respect, as both Montezuma and Utah's San Juan (outside the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area) counties fall under NWS Grand Junction county warning area. Apache county is in NWS Flagstaff, and New Mexico's San Juan county in NWS Albuquerque.

And then there's Etna volcano in Sicily, Italy, where 10 municipalities meet atop it. Looking on a map it appears there are 11 municipalities meeting at that point, but in reality one almost surrounds another (except for that point). There the "four color theorem" fails.
Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 02:04:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2020, 04:52:01 PM

Here are the four-corner ones for Kansas.  Unless I've missed something, all of the other apparent ones are actually near misses.

[snip]

You missed one real 4 corners: that of Woodson/Allen/Wilson/Neosho (If OpenStreetMap is not mistaken). All apparent others can be resolved to two tripoints close to each other even at the furthest out OSM shows county lines, in all cases the county to the southwest borders the one to the northeast.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

iowahighways

Iowa has 36 of them (give or take). Of those, the only place I've seen four counties signed at the same time is along IA 17 where Kossuth, Hancock, Wright, and Humboldt counties meet.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Takumi

Off the top of my head, Virginia has one: James City, Newport News (IC), Isle of Wight, Surry.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

I-55

The counties of Canada's Four Corners:

Keewatin Region (NU), Division No. 23 (MB), Region 5 (NT), Northern Saskatchewan Administration District (SK).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.