News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs and Road Patterns from one state DOT...in the NEIGHBORING State

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, September 26, 2020, 06:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

A spinoff (sort of) of this thread.

In that thread, I mentioned how IDOT built signs for the eastbound Kingery Expressway (I-80/94) which actually went into Indiana's Borman Expressway, along with the practice of placing two RPMs (raised pavement markers) between striping, right up to the Calumet Avenue interchange, which is one mile into Indiana.

This was agreed upon between the two states; the first portion of the Borman Expressway expansion project (in 2004) went from Kennedy Avenue to Calumet Avenue, stopping short of the state line. IDOT scheduled their expansion of the Kingery from I-294 to Calumet Avenue a year later. To ensure the latter smoothly tied into the former, INDOT agreed to sell the final mile of the western Borman to IDOT.

Have you seen similar instances of this where you have traveled? If so, share them here. Thank you in advance for your responses.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

briantroutman

Until a relatively recent re-signing project, PennDOT signage approaching the Betsy Ross Bridge on I-95 not only featured a circular state route shield for NJ 90, it was also a non-cutout shield with a black border, as is common on NJDOT-maintained highways.

The replacement signs have a (proper) cutout circular shield with "NJ"  appended next to the shield to avoid confusion as to what the marker indicates.

I seem to recall at least one other example of a non-cutout shield in Pennsylvania being used in reference to a NJ state route, but I can't remember exactly where.

sparker

NV has freely patterned its county-based postmile system on the system utilized by Caltrans in their western next-door neighbor -- right down to the black-on-white paddles.   

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sbeaver44

Quote from: briantroutman on September 26, 2020, 06:17:50 PM
Until a relatively recent re-signing project, PennDOT signage approaching the Betsy Ross Bridge on I-95 not only featured a circular state route shield for NJ 90, it was also a non-cutout shield with a black border, as is common on NJDOT-maintained highways.

The replacement signs have a (proper) cutout circular shield with "NJ"  appended next to the shield to avoid confusion as to what the marker indicates.

I seem to recall at least one other example of a non-cutout shield in Pennsylvania being used in reference to a NJ state route, but I can't remember exactly where.
May it have been NJ 23 on I-84 with an advance exit sign for NY Exit 1?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.