News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign statute of limitations?

Started by GaryV, December 14, 2020, 12:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Is there any kind of "statute of limitations" for a warning sign, where the cause for the warning may eventually go away?

For example, not far from my house there is a Black on Yellow "BLIND CHILD AREA" sign.  It's been there so long, the child must have grown up for sure and likely moved away long ago.  This would be an instance of a warning that would be expected to time out after some period.

Other instances may be where there is a sign for limited sight, hidden entrance, etc. that is resolved - the brush along the road is cleared, the business entrance was moved, whatever.  These are things that would need to be evaluated periodically to see if the sign was still required.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on December 14, 2020, 12:38:43 PM
Is there any kind of "statute of limitations" for a warning sign, where the cause for the warning may eventually go away?

For example, not far from my house there is a Black on Yellow "BLIND CHILD AREA" sign.  It's been there so long, the child must have grown up for sure and likely moved away long ago.  This would be an instance of a warning that would be expected to time out after some period.

Other instances may be where there is a sign for limited sight, hidden entrance, etc. that is resolved - the brush along the road is cleared, the business entrance was moved, whatever.  These are things that would need to be evaluated periodically to see if the sign was still required.

Technically, the last 2 things mentioned should be re-evaluated frequently, especially when a permit or record is involved, but usually only done so as part of a larger project or study.  I've seen studies for projects where the study is just that - a study.  The current conditions are listed, and a condition could be prioritized as a result of the study, but the department or firm doing the study won't make an immediate correction.

As for Blind/Deaf signage, chances are the transportation departments don't keep great records for things 10, 15, 20 years into the future.  And the records that allowed for the sign to be installed in the first place are probably long forgotten in a warehouse somewhere.  The people involved are probably long gone.  There's probably a bit of red tape that was involved to have the sign installed in the first place, so the proper way to have the sign removed is probably a bit confusing. 

And with today's privacy laws, who has the right and credentials to ask the person if there's still a person living at the house (if the house is known) that still requires the sign to remain?

M3100

I've seen warning signs for railroad crossings where the black/yellow RXR sign remains long after the track is removed. 

Evidently it's a matter of local priorities and highway maintenance funding for those types of things.  But you bring up a good point; obsolete warning signs can desensitize drivers to actual hazards.

CoreySamson

I know of a "NO OUTLET" sign near me that wasn't taken down when the road was extended about a year or two ago. I think it's still there.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 14, 2020, 05:42:35 PM
I know of a "NO OUTLET" sign near me that wasn't taken down when the road was extended about a year or two ago. I think it's still there.

They're just warning you there's no place to charge your electric car there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Another sign that may remain long after the fact is the SCHOOL BUS STOP AHEAD sign, as the kiddos graduate  or drive themselves to school.

1995hoo

Quote from: thenetwork on December 15, 2020, 12:49:27 AM
Another sign that may remain long after the fact is the SCHOOL BUS STOP AHEAD sign, as the kiddos graduate  or drive themselves to school.

On the other hand, though, especially in suburban areas, the bus routes often remain the same over the years and the bus stops remain the same because younger kids, and kids new to the area when their families move, still require school bus service. The neighborhood where my mom lives, for example, has one school bus stop serving the entire neighborhood and it's located at the community's entrance. The bus stop has been there since the late 1980s for the elementary school (previously kids walked to school but the path through the woods is apparently too scary for that nowadays) and since at least 1983 for the junior high and high schools (which are further away across a major arterial; I don't know about before 1983 because that was when our family moved there). Obviously, all of us who were the original generation of kids in that neighborhood–first houses were completed around 1978 or 1979–are long since grown up and in our late 40s or early 50s, but of course there are still kids living there and the bus stop has been on the same corner for that whole time.

Regarding stuff like "BLIND PEDESTRIAN" or the like, arguably the sign does no harm if it remains up unnecessarily but could be a serious problem if it came down when needed. If the sign causes people to be more cautious around pedestrians even if none are actually blind, that's not entirely a bad thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Best I can tell, this railroad crossing has been closed for at least 27 years.  Per historical aerials, there may have been a rudimentary crossing here until the early 1980's (no lights or gates), which I would've been too young to remember.

https://goo.gl/maps/CDTYrHJG1aWHtu6LA

TheHighwayMan3561

I know of a few places where the railroad is decommissioned or even removed and the relevant authorities leave the white pavement markings approaching the crossing. In once instance in Duluth the line itself was removed while the marking remain.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 15, 2020, 06:24:22 PM
Best I can tell, this railroad crossing has been closed for at least 27 years.  Per historical aerials, there may have been a rudimentary crossing here until the early 1980's (no lights or gates), which I would've been too young to remember.

Coincidence, or does a vandal have something against the letter "u"?

hotdogPi

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 16, 2020, 12:14:16 AM

alpsroads
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 16, 2020, 12:14:16 AM

That was their random note choice for U.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.