Sourcing for opening dates in AARoads Interstate Guide

Started by J N Winkler, May 17, 2010, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

While looking for information on the Kingman Bypass (not the one on I-40), I came across the Interstate Guide page on I-40 in Arizona and noticed that it, like the other Interstate Guide pages on Arizona, has opening dates for each length of Interstate by milepost.  What is the source for this information?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alex

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 17, 2010, 04:08:04 PM
While looking for information on the Kingman Bypass (not the one on I-40), I came across the Interstate Guide page on I-40 in Arizona and noticed that it, like the other Interstate Guide pages on Arizona, has opening dates for each length of Interstate by milepost.  What is the source for this information?

Andy did the majority of the Interstate history research back in 2006/07 when many state dot's had Interstate 50h Anniversary sites online. Many of these provided time lines for Interstate opening dates.

Unfortunately, they are virtually all offline now, so if you want to find that info, you have to consult archive.org with the url's. The AASHTO site is still up at least.

J N Winkler

Thanks a bunch for this--I hadn't realized some of the state DOT Interstate 50th sites had gotten down to that level of detail.  I'll certainly keep the Web Archive in mind if and when I need to do digging of my own.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alex

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 18, 2010, 04:15:55 AM
Thanks a bunch for this--I hadn't realized some of the state DOT Interstate 50th sites had gotten down to that level of detail.  I'll certainly keep the Web Archive in mind if and when I need to do digging of my own.

I took a look and see that you are referring to the Interstate 40 Arizona guide, which has the detailed time line. For Arizona, all of the historical research was done by Kevin Trinkle, who runs the Arizona section of the web site. He does research at libraries and in newspaper archives and such in addition to what he finds online. Probably best to ask him for the source if you need more details.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.