News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Changing one letter of a thread title

Started by hotdogPi, January 31, 2021, 09:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2024, 02:40:40 PM
But "a MRI" is wrong. It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud.

I thought everyone pronounced it as "mree" . . ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 24, 2024, 06:38:53 AM
Quote from: Big John on January 23, 2024, 04:51:45 PM
Has Anyone Ever Done an MRE? - in the military.
Has Anyone Ever Done a MRI? - a one that looks better to me, as letter M is a consonant.

But "a MRI" is wrong. It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud. (The same principle applies to some other consonants: F, H, L, N, R, S, and X.)
H can be pronounced as "haitch".

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2024, 03:00:30 PM
But "a MRI" is wrong. It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud.

I thought everyone pronounced it as "mree" . . ?
O.o
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dlsterner

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 24, 2024, 03:24:33 PM
Has Anyone Ever Done a MRI? - a one that looks better to me, as letter M is a consonant.

But "a MRI" is wrong. It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud. (The same principle applies to some other consonants: F, H, L, N, R, S, and X.)
But it's not the letter, it's the syllable.  For example:

"It took me an hour to understand one of Poiponen's posts".  Even though "hour" starts with "h", "an hour" is correct here.

Also can apply to vowels like U - you can have "an understanding" and you can have "a union".

GaryV

Quote from: dlsterner on January 24, 2024, 06:08:59 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 24, 2024, 03:24:33 PM

"It took me an hour to understand one of Poiponen's posts".  Even though "hour" starts with "h", "an hour" is correct here.

Also can apply to vowels like U - you can have "an understanding" and you can have "a union".

P13 is correct here. Some people pronounce the letter "aitch" and others pronounce it "haitch".

The rest of your examples are valid.

Not that anything else P13 said about MRI has any standing.

kphoger

To clarify:

It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud. (The same principle applies to some other consonants: F, H, L, N, R, S, and X.)

Quote from: Poopingon13 on January 24, 2024, 03:24:33 PM

1995hoo's point was that the "M" in "MRI" is pronounced with its letter name, em, and that the vowel sound at the beginning of that letter name prompts the indefinite article to be "an".  He pointed out that that's also true for the letter "H", whose letter name, aitch, begins with a vowel sound.

Poopingon13's flimsy response is that some people say haitch instead of aitch, which is to say that its letter name would have a consonant sound at the beginning and therefore prompt the indefinite article to be "a".  Thus, for "an HD TV":  "an aitch dee tee vee" or "a haitch dee tee vee".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

It's "an MRI" because the letter "M," when pronounced as a letter, starts with a short vowel sound ("em"), such that it takes the form "an." It doesn't matter whether it "looks better" to you—it's wrong, and it sounds awful when read out loud. (The same principle applies to some other consonants: F, H, L, N, R, S, and X.)

Quote from: Poopingon13 on January 24, 2024, 03:24:33 PM

Oh my!  Is Poiponen13 actually from West Virginia???

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2024, 06:59:32 PM
To clarify:

1995hoo's point was that the "M" in "MRI" is pronounced with its letter name, em, and that the vowel sound at the beginning of that letter name prompts the indefinite article to be "an".  He pointed out that that's also true for the letter "H", whose letter name, aitch, begins with a vowel sound.

Poopingon13's flimsy response is that some people say haitch instead of aitch, which is to say that its letter name would have a consonant sound at the beginning and therefore prompt the indefinite article to be "a".  Thus, for "an HD TV":  "an aitch dee tee vee" or "a haitch dee tee vee".

But even in West Virginia, we would still properly say that is "ann haitch dee-tee vee".  Note that the "D" and the "T" should run together.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2024, 02:58:34 PM
National Boards > Bridges > Two few Vladivostok BridgesPoiponen13 recommends more
After he recommends giving the Far East to Lithuania.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2024, 02:58:34 PM
National Boards > Bridges > Help sought on the mate of a bridgetrying to reproduce it naturally

And nine months later (plus time to do an EIS, plus time to resolve NIMBY lawsuits, plus weather delays)...
"I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge....DAD??"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

^^only 9 months to do those?  Very fast.

Max Rockatansky

- to continue my previous thread on the trans-global highway, thoughts on mileage?

1995hoo

The only person I've ever heard pronounce "H" as "haitch" is Peter Noone, the lead singer of Herman's Hermits, in the song "I'm Henry VIII, I Am," when he spells out "Henry" late in the song—at the very end, he sings it like "haitch, e, n, ah, y—'Enery ('Enery!), 'Enery ('Enery!)—'Enery the eighth I am, I am, 'Enery the eighth I am." (You can thank me later for getting that song stuck in your heads all day.)

I suppose there is one other situation in which one might use "a" with "H," and that is if you're using the NATO alphabet, in which "H" is "hotel," to name the letters. Even then, I suppose someone might pronounce "hotel" as "'otel," but that defeats the point of the NATO alphabet and would be non-standard for military and aviation purposes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 24, 2024, 07:08:56 PM
But even in West Virginia, we would still properly say that is "ann haitch ...

I was wondering about that.
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Poiponen13

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 26, 2024, 05:24:53 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2024, 09:45:58 AM

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 26, 2023, 05:26:12 PM
Poiponen13 in one tread
What does this picture mean?

It means someone took a picture of a rather dilapidated Winnie the Pooh figurine next to a tire tread.

kphoger

The black thing is a tire tread.  The yellow thing, that was pulled out from inside it, is Poiponen13 in one tread.
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2024, 02:14:05 PM

The black thing is a tire tread.  The yellow thing, that was pulled out from inside it, is Poiponen13 in one tread.
A Winnie the Pooh thread would be "Winnie the Pooh in one thread". And it would be funnily changed to "Winnie the Pooh in one tread".

Big John

On this site, it would be Winnie the Poo in one thread.

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on January 26, 2024, 05:04:34 PM
On this site, it would be Winnie the Poo in one thread.

That would be cool.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.