News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Acoustic Metamaterials can put a mute button on the world

Started by kernals12, March 15, 2021, 08:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

A team at Boston University developed a 3d printed metamaterial that is capable of reducing noise by 95%. The most obvious application for this would be on jet engines, but they say it can be molded into any sort of shape, meaning it could make for an extremely effective highway noise barrier, or perhaps they would integrate it into a car's wheel well or the tire itself.

Big John

How would that account for rumble strips where noise is needed?

TheHighwayMan3561

I would oppose integrating anything into the car that could mask the driver being able to hear something wrong with it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kernals12

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 15, 2021, 09:46:41 PM
I would oppose integrating anything into the car that could mask the driver being able to hear something wrong with it.

Most people like their cars quiet. Rolls Royce famously boasts that the only thing you can hear from the inside of one of their cars is the clock ticking.

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on March 15, 2021, 09:51:09 PM

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 15, 2021, 09:46:41 PM

Most people like their cars quiet. Rolls Royce famously boasts that the only thing you can hear from the inside of one of their cars is the clock ticking.

Unless something's wrong with it, hopefully.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kernals12

Also, this could be used for HVAC systems, lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, and one hopes it could be used for noisy restaurants. I imagine the number of people seeking ear exams will initially skyrocket, because they'll wonder if the reduction in noise is from hearing loss, but then it will plummet because the amount of actual hearing damage will plunge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.