News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite city skylines

Started by golden eagle, May 25, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 15, 2012, 06:34:33 PMHalifax, NS......with a Queen Mary 2 sail-past.
I'd forgotten how huge that boat is - when it's in Southampton it's in a place where you don't really see it, especially in comparison to something else.

Also good to see a small town and a low skyline here - some people are obsessed with having lots of tall buildings.

kphoger

Dubai, UAE, has some great skyline shots.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/travel_by_westendfoto/32905314864/in/faves-54480415@N08/
I know this post is old and rather than recreate another post for this one here photo.  I would like to say the photographer here did and excellent job of making Vancouver's city skyline look awesome.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

Try SF from Twin Peaks.  Also from Treasure Island or

the Marin Headlands.

all from 2009
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Chicago has a great mix of older skyscraper designed mixed in with new construction, I love the diverse range of colors:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

San Francisco has by far the best skyline on the West Coast.  Seattle is a far drop to second, I couldn't ever find a good vantage point to get the whole thing though unobstructed:

IMG_4331 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Takumi

(Nissan) Skyline with (Chicago) skyline.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Bruce

There's few skylines in North America that are as ever-changing as Seattle's nowadays. Photos from months ago are already outdated.

Checkmate for Seventh & Eighth? by TIA INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY, on Flickr

Plus it looks good from quite a few angles.

2017_09_28 seattle aerials-15 by jplphoto2, on Flickr

2017_09_28 seattle aerials-3 by jplphoto2, on Flickr
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 04, 2017, 09:04:18 PM
There's few skylines in North America that are as ever-changing as Seattle's nowadays. Photos from months ago are already outdated.

Any idea if there's a site that covers the downtown construction? I'm downtown all the time, doing Uber, but I can't keep track of all the new buildings.

I can't wait to see the skyline in twenty years. Assuming things don't fall apart, there's more than a few skyline changing buildings coming soon. The current boom will eventually end. Let's just hope the NIMBY Seattleites don't block taller, denser structures from continuing to be built for decades to come.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 04, 2017, 08:31:50 AM
San Francisco has by far the best skyline on the West Coast.  Seattle is a far drop to second, I couldn't ever find a good vantage point to get the whole thing though unobstructed:

If you can find a way to cram the Golden Gate Bridge in, I also love San Fran. Probably my third favorite west coast skyline (behind my hometown, Seattle, and my second home Vancouver). But without the Golden Gate, it's kind of bland, in my opinion. Probably doesn't help that the Transamerica Pyramid is one of my least favorite skyscrapers.

MNHighwayMan

Not nearly enough love for Minneapolis' skyline here. It's amazing whether you're coming from I-35W southbound or northbound–both are impressive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2017, 12:28:55 AM

Any idea if there's a site that covers the downtown construction? I'm downtown all the time, doing Uber, but I can't keep track of all the new buildings.

I can't wait to see the skyline in twenty years. Assuming things don't fall apart, there's more than a few skyline changing buildings coming soon. The current boom will eventually end. Let's just hope the NIMBY Seattleites don't block taller, denser structures from continuing to be built for decades to come.

If you can find a way to cram the Golden Gate Bridge in, I also love San Fran. Probably my third favorite west coast skyline (behind my hometown, Seattle, and my second home Vancouver). But without the Golden Gate, it's kind of bland, in my opinion. Probably doesn't help that the Transamerica Pyramid is one of my least favorite skyscrapers.

As opposed to something like this?

IMG_4208 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

It does look odd without the Golden Gate Bridge in the picture, but I would think most city skylines would without their signature structure.  What I'm noticing about Seattle is all you guys up there know all the good vantage points, the best I've been able to find (granted I usually avoid the city) on Washington trips was this from I-5:

IMG_5180 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I was wondering how good the ferry routes are for skyline pictures of the city?  If the person I was with wasn't dragging ass back in May I was planning on taking a ferry back from Kitsap.

empirestate

I just noticed yesterday, as I drove back to NYC after a road trip, that in its skyline, the Empire State Building is now completely upstaged by a random building you've never heard of up near the park. It doesn't even have a name, it's just 432 Park Avenue.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on November 05, 2017, 03:13:51 PM
I just noticed yesterday, as I drove back to NYC after a road trip, that in its skyline, the Empire State Building is now completely upstaged by a random building you've never heard of up near the park. It doesn't even have a name, it's just 432 Park Avenue.

It's luxury condos for billionaires that don't live in them, and if you don't count the non-structural parts of One World Trade et al., it's the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

I think it looks like a middle finger aimed at regular people.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2017, 12:28:55 AM

The Seattle community on SkyscraperCity is very active and has threads for each project. There's also an index thread where you can see renderings of each major project.

There's also the SkyscraperPage project map or permit trackers like Seattle in Progress (which link directly to the design packages).

By 2020 or so, the Denny Triangle area should look a bit like this (all the boxes are brand new):

(For comparison, this is what the area looks like today):

Western Denny Triangle skyline from Stewart Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Photos

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 05, 2017, 09:37:16 AM

It does look odd without the Golden Gate Bridge in the picture, but I would think most city skylines would without their signature structure.  What I'm noticing about Seattle is all you guys up there know all the good vantage points, the best I've been able to find (granted I usually avoid the city) on Washington trips was this from I-5:

I was wondering how good the ferry routes are for skyline pictures of the city?  If the person I was with wasn't dragging ass back in May I was planning on taking a ferry back from Kitsap.

The ferries are an excellent way to see the skyline. The cheaper (and less time-consuming) option is to walk onto the county-run water taxi from the same general terminal area, which is faster and gets you close to Alki Beach.

Seattle skyline from Bremerton Ferry, July 2017 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

There's a handful of famous view points of the skyline that form a circle around the city. The great thing about Seattle's mix of street grids and hills is that the skyline can dramatically change form when visited from one neighborhood compared to another.

Rizal Bridge, which goes over I-90 and has a great view of the I-5 interchange (to the southeast):

Seattle, I-90 and I-5 from the Rizal Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Kerry Park, everyone's favorite (to the north):

Seattle skyline from Kerry Park, July 2017 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

The Columbia Center, 967 feet above street level:

Downtown Seattle from the Columbia Center by SounderBruce, on Flickr

The Volunteer Park Water Tower on Capitol Hill (to the northeast):

Downtown Seattle skyline from Volunteer Park by SounderBruce, on Flickr

From Magnolia (to the northwest):

Seattle skyline from Ursula Judkins Viewpoint by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And further away along Interstate 5, there's pocket views from overpasses and small parks:

Seattle skyline above I-5 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Seattle skyline from I-5 and NE 45th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from Holgate Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And from the south end on SR 99:

Seattle skyline from Atlantic Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Photos

Bruce

For a suburban city of only 150,000, Bellevue punches above its weight in terms of a skyline. The height limit of 450 feet has been raised, so hopefully some taller towers will appear soon.

Downtown Bellevue skyline from I-90 bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Photos

ET21

Chicago has 54 cranes up for some sort of highrise construction, Seattle with 58 and has the most for 2nd year in a row within the US.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-has-most-cranes-in-the-country-for-2nd-year-in-a-row-and-lead-is-growing/

One thing is for sure, within the next two years these pictures will need updates with all the new towers going up
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on November 06, 2017, 02:14:26 PM
Chicago has 54 cranes up for some sort of highrise construction, Seattle with 58 and has the most for 2nd year in a row within the US.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-has-most-cranes-in-the-country-for-2nd-year-in-a-row-and-lead-is-growing/

The article seems to indicate that Chicago has 34.

One thing is for sure, within the next two years these pictures will need updates with all the new towers going up

It's pretty insane how fast so many cities are growing (at least vertically). I personally would contribute the growth of Seattle's skyline to the high land cost, which makes it much cheaper to go up instead of over (at least in the city...probably not true in the 'burbs).

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on November 06, 2017, 06:55:24 PM
It's pretty insane how fast so many cities are growing (at least vertically). I personally would contribute the growth of Seattle's skyline to the high land cost, which makes it much cheaper to go up instead of over (at least in the city...probably not true in the 'burbs).

It's not really about cost, since these buildings can be insanely expensive (hundreds of millions per tower), but rather there's no where else to build. Zoning and height limits mean that if you want to build something profitable in Seattle, you're looking at a 40-story residential highrise in the neighborhoods zoned for that height.

At least there will be new highrises in the U District and hopefully Northgate once light rail is extended in 2021. There's already been movement in the U District for one 24-story tower, and national developers will be pouring in soon enough.

Photos

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 06, 2017, 07:55:13 PM

It's not really about cost, since these buildings can be insanely expensive (hundreds of millions per tower), but rather there's no where else to build. Zoning and height limits mean that if you want to build something profitable in Seattle, you're looking at a 40-story residential highrise in the neighborhoods zoned for that height.

That's kind of what I was trying to get at. My point was, in a roundabout way, that it makes more financial sense to build up.

ET21

The article seems to indicate that Chicago has 34.

Article was from early July, since then Chicago added on another 20 projects. Was one of the few articles that gave a good synopsis of crane activity across the country.

It seems in Chicago's case, our construction is concentrating along the major stem routes west and northwest of the city with renewed development in downtown. The West and South Loop, Streeterville, New East Side, I-290 corridor, and the Milwaukee Ave corridor are actively buzzing with cranes. 2 years ago our crane count was half of what is happening now. I remarked that this is the most I've seen since 2007
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

AlexandriaVA

The view of DC approaching on 395 can be pretty dramatic, because the highway makes a sharp east turn near the Pentagon and you get a good view of the federal core of the city, of course with Big George being the prominent feature. Doesn't come across too well on GSV.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8669101,-77.0635059,3a,75y,52.32h,79.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqADgXkqaB0MSOZcOMzFOuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also, this view of the west end of the National Mall, from Ft. Myer/Arlington Cemetery, has been used in more films and television shows than I can recall at this point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8878962,-77.0684134,3a,15y,83.62h,89.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ86kjGOMAJOpHfdoFtRSiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As with almost any other view of DC's skyline, they're best seen at night.

roadman65

Vegas as you first see it on US 93 & 95 (now I-11) after passing through Railroad Pass. 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

I like Chicago's and Detroit's.

epzik8

Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, St. Louis, Charlotte.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

busman_49

Chicago, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh, in no particular order.  But I think I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Akron, Ohio, and particularly this view of it.  I had a puzzle once that the Akron Summit Convention & Visitors Bureau put out that had a photo of the city from roughly this vantage point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.