why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2021, 04:40:05 PM
Quote from: Bruce on April 23, 2021, 04:25:15 PM
We should spin this off into a city bracket competition or something. Pairing up similar-sized cities for fairness.

Also, Seattle is still the most livable U.S. city on the West Coast.

Is it though with that huge cost of living problem it has?  That's a big issue in my book with livability that could have it lose in an upset to some other West Coast cities. 

Unfortunately it does, but it's not as severe as SF and LA. Portland is going through the same market issues, but doesn't have the higher wages to help ease the pain.

At least the commuting distances from the affordable suburbs aren't too far in comparison, though traffic will still be an issue.
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on April 23, 2021, 05:53:03 PM
We should spin this off into a city bracket competition or something. Pairing up similar-sized cities for fairness.

Is it though with that huge cost of living problem it has?  That's a big issue in my book with livability that could have it lose in an upset to some other West Coast cities. 

Unfortunately it does, but it's not as severe as SF and LA. Portland is going through the same market issues, but doesn't have the higher wages to help ease the pain.

At least the commuting distances from the affordable suburbs aren't too far in comparison, though traffic will still be an issue.

I got to thinking fairly recently how come nobody brings up Sacramento in these scenarios about large west coast cities?  The City is actually kind of easy to get around with a decent mix of road and mass transit options (even with the unbuilt freeways).   The cost of living isn't through the roof like the Bay Area and the City doesn't seem to have any real political inclinations despite being the state capital. 

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2021, 04:43:16 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 08:50:28 PM
Now I'm curious how unpopular that really is. Personally I haven't spent much time in St. Paul, but at least none what I have seen makes me think it's worse than Minneapolis (except for the part of I-35E that's basically a parkway and has an absurdly low speed limit, as I recall).

It's an unpopular opinion growing up on the Minneapolis side like I did.

Ha, well that explains the bias.  :D

citrus

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2021, 05:59:30 PM

I got to thinking fairly recently how come nobody brings up Sacramento in these scenarios about large west coast cities?  The City is actually kind of easy to get around with a decent mix of road and mass transit options (even with the unbuilt freeways).   The cost of living isn't through the roof like the Bay Area and the City doesn't seem to have any real political inclinations despite being the state capital. 

I don't mind Sac but most people I know in the Bay Area equate it with overly hot weather (including a few folks who grew up there and visit family often). Of course, there are plenty of people around who think SF is too cold. Apparently the Sacramento area is a top place for Bay Area folks trying to find a bit more space at lower cost, especially during the pandemic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: citrus on April 23, 2021, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2021, 05:59:30 PM

I don't mind Sac but most people I know in the Bay Area equate it with overly hot weather (including a few folks who grew up there and visit family often). Of course, there are plenty of people around who think SF is too cold. Apparently the Sacramento area is a top place for Bay Area folks trying to find a bit more space at lower cost, especially during the pandemic.

Sacramento certainly would be a far more desirable place to live compared to Stockton or Modesto.  I still can't believe people really commute from there to San Francisco everyday.  I guess the heat of the Central Valley doesn't bother me after living in Phoenix and Orlando.

kkt

But Sacramento isn't on the coast.  And it is overly hot a lot of the time, except when it's foggy.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on April 23, 2021, 07:59:27 PM
But Sacramento isn't on the coast.  And it is overly hot a lot of the time, except when it's foggy.

Hence why I said what I did regarding Phoenix and Orlando.  Stacked up to 120F or humidity or 80% the low 100F range is a breeze.  FWIW Sacramento does have access to the coast by way of the Delta.  Mind you, it's kind of hideous at times with a major Florida Everglades vibe.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2021, 04:09:48 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 12:25:50 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 23, 2021, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2021, 05:22:37 PM
San Francisco > San Francisco

fort collins > cheyenne

I don't think that's too unpopular.  Cheyenne sucks.  :D

Chris

Maybe I picked a bad fertilizer day, but Fort Collins smelled much worse.

wind might have been out of the se that day... cuz greeley really smells bad.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

andrepoiy

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

The grass is always greener on the other side, as they say. :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 09:37:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2021, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 26, 2021, 09:21:11 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 26, 2021, 09:20:56 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on April 26, 2021, 01:18:53 PM
United States > Canada
Canada > United States
Both are debatable

Hell I think Mexico is more interesting than both.
For visiting, maybe, for living, hell no.

I don't know about that.  I could probably add a room the family house in Jalisco and retire with what I have saved.  I really enjoy the slower pace of life down there.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2021, 09:41:05 PM
United States > Canada
Canada > United States
Both are debatable

I don't know about that.  I could probably add a room the family house in Jalisco and retire with what I have saved.  I really enjoy the slower pace of life down there.
Maybe in some select cases, but in terms of standard of living the US and Canada always rank far above Mexico.

kkt

Well, yeah, because US and Canada jobs pay more.  But if you can take what you earned at US pay and retire in Mexico, you can certainly get a nicer house.

But a nicer house isn't everything.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 09:42:53 PM
United States > Canada
Canada > United States
Both are debatable

Maybe in some select cases, but in terms of standard of living the US and Canada always rank far above Mexico.

Subjective opinion, that largely depends on what you want out of life and find important. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on April 26, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
Well, yeah, because US and Canada jobs pay more.  But if you can take what you earned at US pay and retire in Mexico, you can certainly get a nicer house.

Maybe Mexico is better for rich people.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 09:52:07 PM

I'm not rich, not even close.  What certainly is true though that in a lot of places in Mexico your money goes further does than in the United States.  Food for one is usually way less expensive (especially outside big cities) as well buying or building on property.  Mind you, the mountain of red tape and safety standards you have in the United States or Canada largely don't exist. 

My wife and I are already considering building a room/bathroom addition on the family home Zacoalco de Torres.  Given the structure is largely an open air brick/adobe design it quoted below what we anticipated.  Mind you by open air, I really mean an open air structure.   

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2021, 10:38:47 PM

I'm not rich, not even close.  What certainly is true though that in a lot of places in Mexico your money goes further does than in the United States.  Food for one is usually way less expensive (especially outside big cities) as well buying or building on property.  Mind you, the mountain of red tape and safety standards you have in the United States or Canada largely don't exist. 

My wife and I are already considering building a room/bathroom addition on the family home Zacoalco de Torres.  Given the structure is largely an open air brick/adobe design it quoted below what we anticipated.  Mind you by open air, I really mean an open air structure.
The red tape and safety standards are why many people would prefer the US and Canada.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 10:45:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2021, 10:38:47 PM

The red tape and safety standards are why many people would prefer the US and Canada.

If I wanted 2.3 kids, a dog and a white picket fence I never would have left Michigan.  That stereotypical American suburban dream was never for me. 

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 09:42:53 PM

How does that make it less interesting to live in?

My best friends have lived in Mexico for the last couple of years, and they find it plenty interesting.

(It's my long-term goal as well.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.