AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 378422 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: January 17, 2021, 06:56:59 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: Delaware
« Reply #1625 on: December 04, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »

On a completely different note from what's been discussed, here's something interesting I've noticed when it comes to the DE state route system.  Usually, the odd numbered routes are north-south, and the even numbered routes are east-west similarly to the Interstate and US Highway systems with the exception of routes that are continuations of PA and MD state routes like route 52 and route 273 for instance.  One exception I notice is route 72 which is a north-south route despite the fact it's an even number, and it doesn't continue as a PA or MD state route.  Does anyone know why that's the case there?  What confuses me even more is that DE doesn't have a route 73, so why couldn't they have made this route 73 given that it's a north-south route?
"DE 72 was designated by 1942 to run from DE 2 (Main Street) in Newark north to DE 7, following Chapel Street and Paper Mill Road."
If Wiki is accurate, it was numbered to connect 7 to 2, so a better suggestion would be Route 27.

jcn

• Last Login: December 05, 2020, 01:10:45 PM
« Reply #1626 on: December 05, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »

On a completely different note from what's been discussed, here's something interesting I've noticed when it comes to the DE state route system.  Usually, the odd numbered routes are north-south, and the even numbered routes are east-west similarly to the Interstate and US Highway systems with the exception of routes that are continuations of PA and MD state routes like route 52 and route 273 for instance.  One exception I notice is route 72 which is a north-south route despite the fact it's an even number, and it doesn't continue as a PA or MD state route.  Does anyone know why that's the case there?  What confuses me even more is that DE doesn't have a route 73, so why couldn't they have made this route 73 given that it's a north-south route?
"DE 72 was designated by 1942 to run from DE 2 (Main Street) in Newark north to DE 7, following Chapel Street and Paper Mill Road."
If Wiki is accurate, it was numbered to connect 7 to 2, so a better suggestion would be Route 27.

So with that being said, why route 72 as opposed to route 27, since Delaware doesn't have a route 27 either.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:10 PM
« Reply #1627 on: December 05, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »

So with that being said, why route 72 as opposed to route 27, since Delaware doesn't have a route 27 either.

I don't think Delaware's been remotely concerned with any semblance of a grid or numbering scheme since they laid the initial state highway system out in the '20s, the state is just too small for that to practically matter.
👉😎👉

ipeters61

• Last Login: December 12, 2020, 07:13:45 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1628 on: December 12, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »

My thought was that, because DE has DE-52, DE-62, DE-72, DE-82, and DE-92 all running in the northern part of the state, they were numbered to imply relation to DE-2.  But I can't think of any other roads in DE that work like that (and what gives with DE-42?).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

• Last Login: January 17, 2021, 01:10:36 PM
« Reply #1629 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »

My thought was that, because DE has DE-52, DE-62, DE-72, DE-82, and DE-92 all running in the northern part of the state, they were numbered to imply relation to DE-2.  But I can't think of any other roads in DE that work like that (and what gives with DE-42?).

What about DE 24, DE 44, and DE 54, which are nowhere near DE 4?  :)

And DE 16, DE 26, and DE 36, which are nowhere near DE 6?  :biggrin:

ixnay

jemacedo9

• Last Login: Today at 12:14:03 PM
« Reply #1630 on: December 14, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »

What about DE 24, DE 44, and DE 54, which are nowhere near DE 4?  :)

And DE 16, DE 26, and DE 36, which are nowhere near DE 6?  :biggrin:

ixnay

DE 52 and DE 82 are related to PA 52 and PA 82. 
I figured that DE 62, DE 72, and DE 92 are all continuing a New Castle County "pattern" of routes ending in 2 starting with DE 52.

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 01:28:03 PM
« Reply #1631 on: December 27, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »

The DelDOT used Ultra High Performance Concrete for the first time in September for a deck overlay on the Delaware Memorial Bridge
https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/09/6-2-million-project-to-test-new-form-of-concrete-paving-on-delaware-memorial-bridge/

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 02:35:33 PM
« Reply #1632 on: December 27, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »

I drove US 13 NB/US 40 EB yesterday to get onto I-295 in New Castle and saw that there has recently been a bus lane/right-turn only lane added from US 202/DE 141 to I-295.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:09:47 PM by 74/171FAN »
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:10 PM
« Reply #1633 on: December 31, 2020, 05:46:13 PM »

The rebuilt 2nd Street ramp to I-95 SB in Wilmington opened yesterday according to WDEL.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

• Last Login: January 17, 2021, 10:16:31 PM
    • ValuezTV
« Reply #1634 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »

The rebuilt 2nd Street ramp to I-95 SB in Wilmington opened yesterday according to WDEL.
What a sexy ramp. Good job Deldot.

Will we see an improvement in traffic merging? Lets hope so.

Happy new year AARoads. Love yall

iPhone
Entrepreneur, Businessman & Lover of Development

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:56:29 AM
« Reply #1635 on: January 14, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »

Roadsguy

• Last Login: Today at 01:16:43 PM
« Reply #1636 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »

What a sexy ramp.

I'll take "sentences no one outside this forum would say in a million years" for 500, Alex.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 02:35:33 PM
« Reply #1637 on: January 17, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »

A project was recently bid by DelDOT for the I-95/DE 273 Interchange that includes changes on DE 273 WB and the I-95 off-ramps there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.