AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-69 Ohio River Bridge  (Read 229270 times)

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:44 PM
Re: I-69 Ohio River Bridge
« Reply #900 on: August 13, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »

Only problem with that might be giving those in Henderson false hope that there will always be a four-lane free alternative as you keep both bridges open. Better to cut them off from the start, get them used to the two-lane option from the beginning.

I wonder in any case if there will be a temporary time when the I-69 bridge will be free so that they can work on the US 41 bridges, do what they need to do and reconfigure the highway to fit the new arrangement. When that is all finished then they start the tolls on the I-69 bridge.

As for the pedestrian stuff, would a set up along the new I-69 bridge (similar to what was done with the East End Bridge) work if they don't want to preserve one of the old bridges. I suppose being out of the way of both Evansville and Henderson might work against this idea. Still I'm curious.

Rare are Interstate bridges with a separated pedestrian walkway on them, but a few exist. I-494 in Mendota Heights, MN over the Minnesota River. The cost of providing such a walkway would be substantial, so it would be desirable to have a reasonable amount of demand for it, and it would likely attract more bicyclists than pedestrians for that length of a trip.

https://www.johnweeks.com/bridges/pages/mn02.html

I have also been involved in studies that propose attaching an external walkway to an existing truss bridge, but many times they are cost prohibitive to retro-fit, with supporting the weight cantilevered on the existing foundations, or building a whole new separate structure.

FDOT District 5 got in a lot of trouble in 2016 when on the I-95 (Fuller Warren Bridge upgrade) they tried to state that having pedestrian access on an Interstate signed highway bridge was illegal.  It is not illegal and it is used on many urban interstate signed bridges nationally.  Seems they just didn't want to have to design pedestrian access into the project and got called out on it. So rather than trying, they simply tried to bluff their way against it.  It's under construction now. They are driving new caissons into the St Johns River for them today.  If any DOT tries to tell anyone that federally funded highways can't have pedestrian access included, they are full of nonsense.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 03:58:04 PM
« Reply #901 on: August 15, 2018, 05:56:25 PM »

FDOT District 5 got in a lot of trouble in 2016 when on the I-95 (Fuller Warren Bridge upgrade) they tried to state that having pedestrian access on an Interstate signed highway bridge was illegal.  It is not illegal and it is used on many urban interstate signed bridges nationally.  Seems they just didn't want to have to design pedestrian access into the project and got called out on it. So rather than trying, they simply tried to bluff their way against it.  It's under construction now. They are driving new caissons into the St Johns River for them today.  If any DOT tries to tell anyone that federally funded highways can't have pedestrian access included, they are full of nonsense.

The O'Callaghan/Tillman bridge over the Colorado River canyon on I-11 says hello; it features a very prominent separated pedestrian walkway on its north side -- just don't venture out onto it if you have acrophobia! 

SSR_317

• Why does FHWA hate "Exit 0"?

• Last Login: November 07, 2018, 08:39:36 PM
« Reply #902 on: August 16, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »

The O'Callaghan/Tillman bridge over the Colorado River canyon on I-11 says hello; it features a very prominent separated pedestrian walkway on its north side -- just don't venture out onto it if you have acrophobia!
When I walked that structure in 2011, I wonder just how many cell/smart phones have been (and would soon be) accidentally dropped into Black Canyon below by people trying to get photos/videos of Hoover Dam just upstream. Look out below!

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:44 PM
« Reply #903 on: August 17, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »

When I walked that structure in 2011, I wonder just how many cell/smart phones have been (and would soon be) accidentally dropped into Black Canyon below by people trying to get photos/videos of Hoover Dam just upstream. Look out below!

I have walked across it. Yes, it can give you the willies. And I thought the same thing....how many cell phones ended up dropped in the canyon below. But putting a ped access across the entire bridge was the right thing to do.

LM117

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:51 PM
« Reply #904 on: August 17, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »

Welp, that rules me out! :crazy:
"You forget a thousand things everyday. How about you make sure this is one of them?"--Michael De Santa, GTA V

SSR_317

« Reply #905 on: August 21, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »

I have walked across it. Yes, it can give you the willies. And I thought the same thing....how many cell phones ended up dropped in the canyon below. But putting a ped access across the entire bridge was the right thing to do.
Oh, and hats too, as the the winds through the canyon are quite high at times. Had to hang onto mine the day I visited.

thefro

• Last Login: November 16, 2018, 12:52:34 PM
« Reply #906 on: September 20, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/surveys-and-field-work-continuing-for-i-69-crossing/

DEIS and preferred route expected to be revealed later this fall, then FEIS/ROD next year.

SSR_317

« Reply #907 on: September 22, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/surveys-and-field-work-continuing-for-i-69-crossing/

DEIS and preferred route expected to be revealed later this fall, then FEIS/ROD next year.
Looking forward to reading the "justification" if they pick either of the "through Henderson" alternatives over the "Central" one, which seems to be the obvious choice (at least to me).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.