News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

MultiMillionMiler

You're a 7 year old physicist?

Anyway, age aside, could you explain why, physically, time must slow down from the point of view of someone traveling at high speed?

roadman65

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 17, 2023, 10:30:42 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 03, 2023, 02:23:42 PM
Not saying it's an intentional scam, but the fact that they think a difference in the billionth or trillions of a second difference in clock measurements are the result of some magical time stretching/squeezing just from moving, and not just a margin of error with the clocks is hard to believe. If they really wanted to test this, send a probe at extremely high speed toward the sun and have it orbit the sun for a few years very close to it, this way the gravity increase, extreme speed, and long duration of the mission could maybe push the dilation effect into actually visible amounts, like several seconds..etc, but there is no way to know whether millionths, billionths, let alone trillionths of a second are from a relativistic effect or simply clocks not being absolutely perfect. Even if atomic clocks are supposedly based on atom vibrations...etc, the electrical systems that display how much time passed aren't going to be that accurate. The engineering isn't at the atomic level, so they end up being just regular clocks. There is also no physical explanation of why this would be, even if mathematically it is possible. Mathematical physics also say a positron is indistinguishable from an electron traveling backward in time, but that doesn't mean it is, or there is any reason to believe this is so. Same thing with time squeezing.

As a physicist who actually knows how this stuff works, this thread is fucking hilarious.

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2023, 04:59:10 PM
I know time travel isn't possible because, if it was, someone would have gone back in time to stop this thread from being created.

Are you kidding? Stop this thread being created and missing everything it’s brought?

You’re talking to a man who don’t work. Don’t believe in relationships.  Heck he don’t vote in elections.

This is not off for the MO of someone in The Twilight Zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 17, 2023, 10:35:04 PM

Sometimes people don't put their actual date of birth in their profile. Strange, I know.

Tomorrow marks the 14th anniversary of the day algorerhythms created his account.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2023, 02:38:04 AM

Sometimes people don't put their actual date of birth in their profile. Strange, I know.

Tomorrow marks the 14th anniversary of the day algorerhythms created his account.

In that case, I'm turning double digits later this year.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Reddit has a term for account anniversaries: Cakeday. (Reddit never asks you for your age upon signing up.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

algorerhythms

Time travel is a hell of a drug.

Anyway, age aside, could you explain why, physically, time must slow down from the point of view of someone traveling at high speed?

Sorry, I may have been born yesterday, but I don't work for free. You want a tutor, you gotta pay for it, and my job pays pretty well.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on January 18, 2023, 09:11:50 AM
Reddit has a term for account anniversaries: Cakeday. (Reddit never asks you for your age upon signing up.)

That's correct.

Given we're a road forum, we should say it was the day your account was commissioned, like a highway route. After all, our forum ranks are types of roads, right?

roadman65

NE 2 is one that hasn't and won't.   Plus he isn't the only one to lie about his age here as I'm sure plenty of users don't want to reveal their age.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2023, 09:32:01 AM

NE 2 is one that hasn't and won't.   Plus he isn't the only one to lie about his age here as I'm sure plenty of users don't want to reveal their age.

I can understand that. I put my real age because I think it adds context to my posts. Like my general lack of experience in life. Or how my old posts were rubbish.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 18, 2023, 09:39:59 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2023, 09:32:01 AM

I can understand that. I put my real age because I think it adds context to my posts. Like my general lack of experience in life. Or how my old posts were rubbish.

I'm actually 40.  I guess that I'm not super concerned with identifying who I am, even if it is indirectly.

roadman65

To me I just don't enable it. I'm 57, soon to be 58, and don't care but at the same time why do I need to disclose this info in my profile.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

I find it useful. If they're under 20 or so, it explains why they act like a kid if they do (not everyone under 20 does), and for those under 16, that they don't drive. For older members, it's useful to know how far back they remember past events such as the beginning of NMSL, etc.

It definitely shouldn't be required, though, because if someone wants privacy, they should be able to have it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

The problem is when you get past thirty, you remember things over five years ago as yesterday, but to someone in their twenties an event even four years ago is ancient history. So when you recall things here as an older user it can be criticized as being not relevant to a younger user.

I've ran into that plenty of times. Then again I can recall some practices that NJ used that a younger user on here would dispute as those practices were long gone before the youth was even of age.  You would have to be born before 1985 to remember green left arrows for one way streets at traffic lights to denote NO RIGHT TURNS in urban areas. Now the green left arrow means permissive or protected lefts only as NJ cities had to abandoned that concept for obvious reasons.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 18, 2023, 09:19:14 AM

Sorry, I may have been born yesterday, but I don't work for free. You want a tutor, you gotta pay for it, and my job pays pretty well.

I doubt you even can, if the entire book "fabric of the cosmos" can't, which was written by a physics PHD, I don't think any physics tutor can. That's shows it's a scam. While Spacetime may be one entity, that doesn't mean every single thing that happens in one has to effect the other. Its like saying color always affects mass or shape always effects magnetic properties, or Lightwave always affect sound waves. Even though an object may have all of these properties simultaneously, that doesn't automatically mean a change in one will affect the other. Same with time. Moving through space should have no effect on how something as universal as time actually passes for you. Time flows at 1 second per second and that's it. Actually it doesn't flow at any "rate". It just is, that's our measuring system. And likewise, just because the math says a positron is indistinguishable from an electron traveling backward in time, does not mean all matter in the universe is electrons zizagging back and forth and in time! It's just a theory, nothing more. Time dilation is also just a theory, just even less of one because it has no physical explanation.

kkt

Birth date is used by a lot of institutions as one way of confirming identity, so I don't go putting my real birth date in places that don't really need it.

algorerhythms

As someone who is being subjected to driving New Jersey's roads every day this week, I can confirm that under no circumstances should New Jersey be allowed to design roads.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 18, 2023, 03:25:13 PM
As someone who is being subjected to driving New Jersey's roads every day this week, I can confirm that under no circumstances should New Jersey be allowed to design roads.

That I agree with, other than the Turnpike and  themajor interstates, that state has the worst quality roads, and signage in the country. I never thought I would actually get lost, with GPS, right across the river in Newark/Secaucus. They can't even design a basic interchange between a highest and a surface street.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 18, 2023, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: algorerhythms on January 18, 2023, 09:19:14 AM

I doubt you even can, if the entire book "fabric of the cosmos" can't, which was written by a physics PHD, I don't think any physics tutor can. That's shows it's a scam. While Spacetime may be one entity, that doesn't mean every single thing that happens in one has to effect the other. Its like saying color always affects mass or shape always effects magnetic properties, or Lightwave always affect sound waves. Even though an object may have all of these properties simultaneously, that doesn't automatically mean a change in one will affect the other. Same with time. Moving through space should have no effect on how something as universal as time actually passes for you. Time flows at 1 second per second and that's it. Actually it doesn't flow at any "rate". It just is, that's our measuring system. And likewise, just because the math says a positron is indistinguishable from an electron traveling backward in time, does not mean all matter in the universe is electrons zizagging back and forth and in time! It's just a theory, nothing more. Time dilation is also just a theory, just even less of one because it has no physical explanation.

Given how much of a hole you're starting in, it'd probably take him 40 billable hours just to teach you the vocabulary you'd need to know to understand how it works. And another 40 to get you to stop derailing his train of thought with random interjections that have nothing to do with anything.

MultiMillionMiler

What was his train of thought? That one post? And what is the title of this thread again? And my entire post was an analogy, how is that derailing anything?

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 18, 2023, 05:18:48 PM
What was his train of thought? That one post? And what is the title of this thread again? And my entire post was an analogy, how is that derailing anything?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2023, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 18, 2023, 05:18:48 PM

Then I maintain my position, it's a triple scam.

1. No physical units of time exist less than microseconds

2. No man made machine can measure below a millisecond.

3. Time dilation does not happen.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 18, 2023, 06:45:15 PM

How long does it take light to travel one mile?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2023, 06:56:25 PM

Longer than you think, but I'll let MMM answer fully.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2023, 06:56:25 PM

Few people know the conspiracy behind a foot standard. It was deliberately made 1% too long by Andrew Johnson administration in 1866. A foot  was actually envisioned to be exactly equal to 1 light nanosecond.

US 89

1 mi * 5280 ft mi-1 * 12 in ft-1 * 2.54 cm in-1 * 0.01 m cm-1 / 3.00*108 m s-1 = ohn0t00muchm4th = 0.

QED.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.