News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Metrication

Started by Poiponen13, July 13, 2023, 05:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should US metricate?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
31 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

TXtoNJ

Small businesses and local gentry are far more common, numerous, and organized (Chamber of Commerce, Rotary) than in other Commonwealth nations. Big business would have course prefer to metricate; it means lower frictional costs in global trade. It's the smaller guys who do primarily domestic trade who don't want to bear the costs of transitioning. Since we can't come up with a way to fund the change without pissing somebody off, stagnation is what we get.

J N Winkler

Metrication has always been sector-specific in the US.  Talk to someone in the hard sciences about going back to customary units and all you will get is laughter.  On the other hand, we are living 20 years after an effort to metricate highway construction (not the units on the signs--rather, the unit systems used for surveying as well as ordering and fabricating components like pipes, culverts, bridge girders, etc.), which never reached 100% buy-in even among state DOTs and encountered enormous resistance from contractors.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on September 05, 2023, 11:58:37 AM
EDIT: The 1970s is when we attempted to switch. There could have been a big push by the oil companies to switch to liters to avoid adding an extra digit to the prices. Why didn't they?
This was also the time of the OPEC oil embargo.  Gas stations did, in fact, switch to liters to avoid adding an extra digit to the prices.  As a result, pricing gas in metric is associated with high prices and gas shortages in this country, and that's one reason we didn't switch to metric.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on September 05, 2023, 09:10:10 PM
EDIT: The 1970s is when we attempted to switch. There could have been a big push by the oil companies to switch to liters to avoid adding an extra digit to the prices. Why didn't they?
This was also the time of the OPEC oil embargo.  Gas stations did, in fact, switch to liters to avoid adding an extra digit to the prices.

I lived through that era. I don't recall that happening (unless it happened only outside California, where I lived at the time).

I think some stations briefly charged by the half-gallon, or tenth-gallon. Much easier than to convert to metric.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kkt

Quote from: oscar on September 05, 2023, 09:35:46 PM
This was also the time of the OPEC oil embargo.  Gas stations did, in fact, switch to liters to avoid adding an extra digit to the prices.

I lived through that era. I don't recall that happening (unless it happened only outside California, where I lived at the time).

I think some stations briefly charged by the half-gallon, or tenth-gallon. Much easier than to convert to metric.

I remember some stations putting up signs that the pump would display only the cents portion of the price per gallon, and the $1 at the front would be added for payment.

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 05, 2023, 02:09:51 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 05, 2023, 10:39:53 AMAren't weed-out courses supposed to be merely difficult rather than impossible?  They're not much use if literally everyone fails.

Regarding the exam question the professor couldn't solve, that situation was resolved much as Kkt suggests--it was simply left out when the tests were graded.  Since it was a timed test, that disadvantaged students who spent time on it at the expense of other questions.

This particular problem was clearly inspired by the 1990's Sprint pin-drop commercial and was deceptively simple.  Given a pin dropped in a vacuum onto a flat surface from height h at angle θ, how much longer after the lower end hits does the other touch the surface?

Quote from: vdeane on September 05, 2023, 10:39:53 AMClarkson's weed-out courses mainly consisted of the freshmen Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics classes, since most people (outside of business majors) had those in common.  Still, while the tests and a few of the homework problems were difficult, they were all doable by people who paid attention in class, did the work, studied hard, and had an aptitude for science/engineering.  They also had plenty of time for people to get help if needed between office hours for the professors and TAs.  I suspect the intro Computer Science classes were used as this for the Digital Arts and Science majors, but I found them fairly easy, so it's hard to say for sure.

I Googled after I posted and it seems the definition of a weed-out course is pretty capacious.  For many, the archetype is much as you outline:  a freshman course designed to redirect those without the preparation, aptitude, or motivation to persist in a high-demand major, and yes, that stereotypically includes freshman calculus (especially for accounting and business majors), introductory computer science (for non-CS majors), and organic chemistry (for pre-med).  But a weed-out course can also be one specific to a given major that is not encountered until distribution requirements and initial prerequisites are cleared, and is often taught by an instructor considered difficult--for my physics degree, this was Mechanics I.

To an extent, weed-out courses (to either aspect of the definition) are an expression of the philosophy of "Spare the rod, spoil the child."  Over the past few decades, I suspect the incentives have changed to favor gentler means of redirection as student debt has become more prevalent, college degrees have come to be regarded more as a consumer product, and the survival of departments (and sometimes whole colleges) have increasingly become tied to graduation rates.  Especially with the attenuation of tenure, it is now much more likely that an instructor will lose his or her job for making a weed-out course unreasonably difficult, as happened last year with Maitland Jones at NYU.

Donald Knuth's classic textbook The Art of Computer Programming includes exercises at the end of each section, rated from "easy" = expected to take less than 5 minutes for an average undergrad, up to "unsolved" = good PhD topic.

I'm not opposed to weedout classes as such, but it is a favor to many of the students to encounter the weedout classes in their first year, if possible, so they can adjust their study habits or expections before they have racked up six figures in student debt.

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2023, 11:55:09 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 05, 2023, 11:50:41 AM
I would like that to happen.

People with way more money than you would like it to not happen. Since we're talking about America, that means it will not happen.

It's not money, it's votes.  https://today.yougov.com/topics/society/articles-reports/2022/08/15/do-americans-prefer-imperial-metric-system-measure

QuoteClose to nine in 10 Americans (88%) say they would use feet and inches to describe someone's height, while just 8% say they would use meters and centimeters for this. Among 18- to 29-year-olds, 17% say they would use meters and centimeters for this; 16% of 30-to 44-year-olds agree. The proportion of metric users for height is much lower  among 45- to 64-year-olds (2%) and Americans 65 and older (1%).

It's similar for other metric versus US customary measures.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 05, 2023, 12:02:43 PM

People with way more money than you would like it to not happen. Since we're talking about America, that means it will not happen.
I would be eternally happy when temperatures in national weather forecasts and weather.gov are changed to Celsius. This should happen asap.

Also, why Australia succeeded in metrication, but not US?

1. Celsius sucks as a temperature measure for the everyday things.  It is not a fine enough scale in my opinion, and the range of typical temperatures (-10 to 40) is too small versus Fahrenheit, which has a larger and finer range (0 to 100).

2. In Australia, it was done from the top down, not the bottom up.  Americans (and most other people) have a resistance to top down enforcement of something.  Read the poll I posted in reply to Scott.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

My bet on metrication coming during next economic downturn. If US market is no more attractive enough to accommodate specific demands (and that is already sort of a  thing. Try to get NRTLed laser cutter or 3d printer!), things will have to change...   

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2023, 08:18:22 AM
QuoteClose to nine in 10 Americans (88%) say they would use feet and inches to describe someone's height, while just 8% say they would use meters and centimeters for this. Among 18- to 29-year-olds, 17% say they would use meters and centimeters for this; 16% of 30-to 44-year-olds agree. The proportion of metric users for height is much lower  among 45- to 64-year-olds (2%) and Americans 65 and older (1%).

I still don't understand why anyone thinks this would have to change if Congress decided to declare metric the "standard." It's not like there would suddenly be some federal mandate that you have to throw away all your existing rulers, tape measures, bathroom scales, measuring cups, etc.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2023, 08:44:40 AM
Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2023, 08:18:22 AM

I still don't understand why anyone thinks this would have to change if Congress decided to declare metric the "standard." It's not like there would suddenly be some federal mandate that you have to throw away all your existing rulers, tape measures, bathroom scales, measuring cups, etc.
Frankly speaking, a lot of  of
Quoteexisting rulers, tape measures, bathroom scales, measuring cups
are already dual-scale.  So they could be used under the New Order.  And yes, full transition in household would take 2 generations - 50 years or so. But, for example, extending double-posting to store prices could be pretty quick if mandated. That would be a big factor in bringing in the new system.   

1995hoo

^^^^

Heh, I once flipped our bathroom scale to kilograms. 100 sounds better than 220. My wife was not particularly amused.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2023, 08:21:48 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 05, 2023, 12:02:43 PM

I would be eternally happy when temperatures in national weather forecasts and weather.gov are changed to Celsius. This should happen asap.

Also, why Australia succeeded in metrication, but not US?

1. Celsius sucks as a temperature measure for the everyday things.  It is not a fine enough scale in my opinion, and the range of typical temperatures (-10 to 40) is too small versus Fahrenheit, which has a larger and finer range (0 to 100).

2. In Australia, it was done from the top down, not the bottom up.  Americans (and most other people) have a resistance to top down enforcement of something.  Read the poll I posted in reply to Scott.
But Celsius directly shows big milestone in temperatures: freezing point. Values are positive above the point and negative below the point. And Celsius is used in most countries, so why US cannot use it too?

hotdogPi

I've mentioned this twice before in this thread, but 1°C is about the smallest meaningful difference. People set their thermostats to 68°F or 70 or 72, not 69 or 71 – a difference of 2°F ≈ 1°C.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 06, 2023, 10:03:28 AM
.... And Celsius is used in most countries, so why US cannot use it too?

You make the common mistake of conflating "can" with "will" or "may." The US can use it, and indeed certain industries do–when you go to the doctor, they'll use Celsius when they take your temperature. Setting that aside, though, the answer to your question is that people don't want to use it. There is nothing prohibiting anyone in this country from using Celsius should they so choose. When my wife and I are getting ready to travel out of the country, I've often changed our thermostat to display Celsius to help her get used to the numbers she'll see on the thermostat in hotel rooms abroad. But aside from that, what benefit do I stand to gain from setting it to Celsius on a regular basis? I'll have an annoyed wife, and I don't think she'll be persuaded to change her mind if I say, "Some guy who says he's from Finland tells me the rest of the world uses it, so I have to as well."

Even if Congress were to declare metric to be the national standard, there would most likely be First Amendment problems if they tried to prohibit TV weathermen from using Fahrenheit in their forecasts.

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2023, 10:06:44 AM

I've mentioned this twice before in this thread, but 1°C is about the smallest meaningful difference. People set their thermostats to 68°F or 70 or 72, not 69 or 71 – a difference of 2°F ≈ 1°C.

Says who? During the winter, ours is set at 69° during the day if we're at home (58° at night when we're asleep). During the summer, it's set at 73° at night when we're asleep.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2023, 10:20:47 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 06, 2023, 10:03:28 AM
.... And Celsius is used in most countries, so why US cannot use it too?

You make the common mistake of conflating "can" with "will" or "may." The US can use it, and indeed certain industries do–when you go to the doctor, they'll use Celsius when they take your temperature. Setting that aside, though, the answer to your question is that people don't want to use it. There is nothing prohibiting anyone in this country from using Celsius should they so choose. When my wife and I are getting ready to travel out of the country, I've often changed our thermostat to display Celsius to help her get used to the numbers she'll see on the thermostat in hotel rooms abroad. But aside from that, what benefit do I stand to gain from setting it to Celsius on a regular basis? I'll have an annoyed wife, and I don't think she'll be persuaded to change her mind if I say, "Some guy who says he's from Finland tells me the rest of the world uses it, so I have to as well."

Even if Congress were to declare metric to be the national standard, there would most likely be First Amendment problems if they tried to prohibit TV weathermen from using Fahrenheit in their forecasts.

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2023, 10:06:44 AM

Says who? During the winter, ours is set at 69° during the day if we're at home (58° at night when we're asleep). During the summer, it's set at 73° at night when we're asleep.
Fahrenheit would be first to taken out when metrication is underway.

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 06, 2023, 10:25:27 AM

No, it wouldn't be and it couldn't be. What makes you think anyone is going around to individual houses forcing homeowners to rip out existing thermostats? I really think you're just trolling at this point because I can't imagine that any rational person is as obtuse and ignorant as you're trying to make yourself appear to be.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 06, 2023, 10:42:08 AM

No, it wouldn't be and it couldn't be. What makes you think anyone is going around to individual houses forcing homeowners to rip out existing thermostats? I really think you're just trolling at this point because I can't imagine that any rational person is as obtuse and ignorant as you're trying to make yourself appear to be.
Fahrenheit is oppressive, I think. I can't imagine measuring temperatures in other scale than Celsius.

Max Rockatansky

Oppressive?  You mean like a "city/gulag"  on an Arctic Island?

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 06, 2023, 10:46:47 AM

Fahrenheit is oppressive, I think. I can't imagine measuring temperatures in other scale than Celsius.

And what does that have to do with what anyone else prefers? I know plenty of people who can't imagine using Celsius–some of them because they're old and stuck in their ways, some because they have no desire to do so, some because they would actively resist using what they consider foreign systems. They're all perfectly entitled to those opinions just as much as you're entitled to yours.

Your post is an internal non sequitur anyway. If you "think" Fahrenheit is "oppressive," then by definition you have indeed "imagine[d] measuring temperatures" in a non-Celsius scale and you decided you didn't like the idea.

kkt

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 06, 2023, 10:46:47 AM

You mean like the thermodynamics folks who use Kelvin because it makes the formulas simpler?

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on September 05, 2023, 09:35:46 PM

I remember reading something along those lines, but Google is being less helpful than I would have hoped.  However, given this timeline, it may have been the Iranian Revolution, not the OPEC oil embargo:

1979-81: In February 1979, the revolution in Iran begins, and in November the U.S. Embassy in Iran is stormed and hostages are taken. Midway through the year, Saudi Arabia cuts oil production and the price of crude oil soars. Meanwhile, the Iran/Iraq war also reduces production in both countries. Several states implement odd-even gas rationing, including New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The world price of crude oil jumps from around $14 per barrel at the beginning of 1979 to more than $35 per barrel in January 1981 before stabilizing. In 1979, the average gas price tops $1 per gallon for the first time. An estimated 1.4 million mechanical dispensers are unable to handle pricing beyond 99.9 cents, so sales by the liter grow as a way to address the problem. Gasoline prices peak in March 1981 at $1.42 per gallon.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2023, 11:15:31 AM
Oppressive?  You mean like a "city/gulag"  on an Arctic Island?
That's where they send you to be persuaded to switch if you refuse to use Celsius.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2023, 10:06:44 AMI've mentioned this twice before in this thread, but 1°C is about the smallest meaningful difference. People set their thermostats to 68°F or 70 or 72, not 69 or 71 – a difference of 2°F ≈ 1°C.

There are plenty of people who don't set their thermostats in integer multiples of 2° F--65° F and 75° F are popular values, for example.

Using Celsius for ambient temperatures also sacrifices the convenience of talking about a comfort range as a decade group.  We generally recognize that the eighties and nineties are different in comfort level, but in Celsius they are all in the thirties, which forces us to speak with false precision (e.g. "about 30° C" rather than "in the eighties") to make the distinction.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

The Celsius 20s are okay, the Celsius 30s are all too hot :)

edit: typo

Poiponen13

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 06, 2023, 01:12:03 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2023, 10:06:44 AMI've mentioned this twice before in this thread, but 1°C is about the smallest meaningful difference. People set their thermostats to 68°F or 70 or 72, not 69 or 71 – a difference of 2°F ≈ 1°C.

There are plenty of people who don't set their thermostats in integer multiples of 2° F--65° F and 75° F are popular values, for example.

Using Celsius for ambient temperatures also sacrifices the convenience of talking about a comfort range as a decade group.  We generally recognize that the eighties and nineties are different in comfort level, but in Celsius they are all in the thirties, which forces us to speak with false precision (e.g. "about 30° C" rather than "in the eighties") to make the distinction.
It can be said that temperatures in e.g. a state or region are in 30s Celsius, when coolest is 31 C and hottest 39 C. And 0s would be pronounced "zeros" and 10s "tens".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.