News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Perspective growing up verses adulthood

Started by ZLoth, September 16, 2023, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

TheHighwayMan3561

(From Link 1) Nah. Weddings still suck as an adult. And you're also now responsible for paying for going to them and being on the hook for additional cards/gifts for the married couple.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

The older I get, the more I realize how wrong my parents were about things.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I'll hit this itemized from article one:

-  I never have liked naps or sleeping in general. 
-  I still don't enjoy weddings.  I'd say on the whole the lack of interest I had in lengthy social interactions as a child has only gotten more pronounced in adulthood.
-  I get way more upset about people wanting to change what they doing last minute then outright cancelling something.  Someone bailing on me doesn't generally affect what I was planning to do.
-  I mostly listen to 70s-90s music already.  I didn't dislike 50s-60s music as a child, and I don't mind it as an adult.
-  I'm not close with my siblings, my wife finds this odd.
-  I still drink about the same amount of diet soda in adulthood if not more than I was a kid. 
-  I like when my wife makes dinner for me because I generally don't like to cook.  Cooking was always a means to an end activity that I never got much enjoyment out of.  I do like trying new things that she makes; I was decidedly pickier as a kid.
-  I liked quiet as a kid and I still do now.
-  I have never liked not having things to do.  I spent a lot of time out exploring the woods and riding my moped around as a child.  As an adult I like hiking and finding new roads to drive on. 
-  I don't like being the passenger and don't give up my driving role very often.  It probably doesn't hurt that I actually enjoy driving.
-  Socks as a gift while practical is still kind of a letdown.
-  I've never not liked documentaries.  I have never not enjoyed learning about things "that interested me."
-  I only go to bed at 9 PM so I can get a reasonable amount of sleep before morning exercise.  I enjoy exercise far more than I do sleep.
-  I still enjoy a hot bath now and then.
-  Cleaning has never felt rewarding. 
-  I've always liked long road trips.  Some of my best childhood memories were roadgeek oriented stuff with my Dad.
-  I don't enjoy going to the doctor.  I enjoy it even less now after going through the ringer with two parents that died of cancer.
-  I've always liked spicy food even though it has always upset my stomach.
-  I played sports when I was kid, but I didn't run.  I picked up running when I was 18 and was training for Police physical agility exams.  I'm surprised in retrospect I didn't pick up running earlier given I preferred individual sports over team-oriented stuff. 
-  I've never been all that into salad.  I'll eat it, but I can think of way better foods to consume.
-  Nonconformity was just not something I found was ever tolerated as a kid.  I used to fake being of average intelligence given it tended to make one a social pariah in school, being in athletics did far more for my social standing.  I've found that I just don't want to interact with most adults and therefore generally don't care what they think of me.
-  School sucked every step of the way.  I phoned most of it in during K-12 and my main motivator for doing well in college was that I was paying for it. 

From article two:

-  I don't interact with people at the grocery store.  I'm not lazy enough to stoop to paying for food to be delivered to me.
-  I prefer it get light out later in the morning.  I rather maximize my available daylight hours for stuff like hiking.
-  I don't financial stuff on my phone.  Anything I do have on the phone is stuff I don't mind saving the password for.
-  I feel as though I was led to believe theme parks were fun as a kid.  The reality is that I never had much in the way of fun even in childhood.
-  Newer music generally just doesn't do it for me.  But is this uncommon for any generation to prefer music they grew up with?
-  I prefer not to talk to a call representative if I can potentially solve my problem with speaking to someone.
-  I use the side of the road often because I live out west and travel in rural areas more often than not.  I've found as I've gotten older the process of having to stop at a public restroom to be needlessly lengthy.
-  I never enjoyed clubs or singles bars. 
-  I never enjoyed not having adequate parking.  This can easily be circumvented by getting up early before normal people more often than not.
-  I'm not short, but I do enjoy making fun of my wife for it.
-  I don't think that I've never been outgoing, even as a kid?
-  I have vested tenure at my job which automatically makes it way easier to not get swept into office politics.
-  I exercise more nowadays than I did when I was younger.  Exercise and pain are just part of the deal, I've never found it be worse as I've aged.
-  I've never enjoyed flying, or more specifically the airport.
-  I've never been big on explaining myself just in general.  Saying "I dunno" worked fine as a kid.
-  Random noise bothers me less now that I'm married.  Family trips to Mexico in particular are great for acclimating one to random loud noises. 
-  My wife is the one who coupons, I've never been big on the practice.
-  I wasn't married until my late 30s so I think that I had a sound handle on when relationships weren't working out.
-  I have three dogs now and enjoyed raising my most recent from when he was a puppy.
-  I've traveled far more than the average person I meet, and I don't like sitting around the house.  I don't foresee being comfortable being at home and idle if I make it to retirement age.

Regarding article three, I've never enjoyed life advice from others.  Even if they were ultimately correct, I tended to learn things my own way even if it was to my own detriment. 

Big John

From link 2, for #17, I could never withstand loud noises and still believe those who feel the need to play things loud are rude and selfish.

zachary_amaryllis

All I know, is that as I get older, I am also becoming less and less relevant.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 17, 2023, 08:07:27 AM
To whom or to what?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on September 17, 2023, 08:54:46 AM
To whom or to what?

Advertisers.

You're always relevant, it's just that we get less re-programmed by society as each year passes. And that's what makes getting older more of a charm.

With wisdom comes not caring about many things that have no significance to our past nor contain personal relevance in the future.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2023, 05:46:13 PM
There are several stages of this realization:
1) When very young: I know nothing and my parents know everything.
2) Teenager: I know everything and my parents know nothing.
3) In adulthood, after getting knocked down a time or two: I know nothing, and maybe my parents know something.
4) In adulthood, after gaining wisdom: I know nothing, my parents know nothing, and nobody else knows anything either.

Max Rockatansky

I did find as my life wore on that my Dad knew way less than he claimed to have knowledge of.  I would say it was even enough to question a lot of things I thought that I knew about him when I was a child.  I guess the lesson for me was not to be naive about people, even if they were family members.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on September 17, 2023, 11:54:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2023, 05:46:13 PM
There are several stages of this realization:
1) When very young: I know nothing and my parents know everything.
2) Teenager: I know everything and my parents know nothing.
3) In adulthood, after getting knocked down a time or two: I know nothing, and maybe my parents know something.
4) In adulthood, after gaining wisdom: I know nothing, my parents know nothing, and nobody else knows anything either.

My experience is that maybe my mom knows something I don't, but somehow my dad has managed to know less than nothing about a fair number of things.

LilianaUwU

I once had very weird brand loyalty to certain things, most notably Heinz ketchup. Once I got money in my bank account for the first time, I realized it just wasn't feasible to just buy Heinz. I still prefer Heinz, but I'd rather save my money than run out of it buying name brand ketchup.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 17, 2023, 06:14:36 PM
I once had very weird brand loyalty to certain things, most notably Heinz ketchup. Once I got money in my bank account for the first time, I realized it just wasn't feasible to just buy Heinz. I still prefer Heinz, but I'd rather save my money than run out of it buying name brand ketchup.

Pro tip–always ask for ketchup at fast food places and save the packets you don't use as a Strategic Ketchup Reserve. I only use Heinz and I've never once paid for a bottle.

Max Rockatansky

My wife is big on hoarding fast food condiments.  There is an entire door shelf in the fridge with a varying assortment of packs.  She's also big on saving unused napkins, but they tend to make their way into the camping and hiking tote.

Rothman

Right.  Makes me wonder about the shelf life of those packets.

I've graduated from collecting the packets to just buying the bottle.  I don't go through it that quickly anyway and keeps a mess out of my refrigerator.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on September 17, 2023, 06:41:10 PM

Having seen the expiration dates printed on the cartons...way longer than you'd think it is.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2023, 06:54:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 17, 2023, 06:41:10 PM

Having seen the expiration dates printed on the cartons...way longer than you'd think it is.
Makes me wonder if we should be eating stuff that sits around that long and bacteria won't touch it. :D

Max Rockatansky

If it is properly refrigerated, in a sealed container and within the established shelf life where is the issue?  If anything shelf life dates tend to be conservative in their estimates.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2023, 09:32:27 PM
If it is properly refrigerated, in a sealed container and within the established shelf life where is the issue?  If anything shelf life dates tend to be conservative in their estimates.
Enjoy your packets.

Scott5114

For most sauces, you don't even need to refrigerate them. We didn't at Burger King.

Max Rockatansky

True, I just prefer them to be cold for some reason.

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 17, 2023, 06:14:36 PM

I used to cut coupons a lot when I first lived away from home, and looked for the store deals of the week, which not only saved a little money but also let you try different brands.

That kind of sounds archaic now. Screens don't like scissors.

Dirt Roads

In West Virginia, we historically disliked Coca-Cola because it was twice as expensive as either Pepsi or RC in the machine.  (The RC and Pepsi machines sold an 8-ounce bottle for a nickel).  In a similar vein, when we became adults we still preferred the RC and Pepsi bottled there because they had twice as much fizz as Coke products (even though they were priced the same).  Looking back, those facts are inherently connected.

zachary_amaryllis

To whom or to what?
Hard for me to put into words, but let's try.

I lived $ELSEWHERE for almost 15 years. When I returned here, I realized everyone had gotten on just fine during that 15 years. And as I started running around again, getting re-acquainted with this area, where I've lived for the vast majority of my life, that almost -everything- had gotten on fine without me, and continues to do so.

There's lots of things I know how to do, that just don't matter anymore, because the things, or processes have evolved, and I get that. But during that 15 years, I was more or less stagnant. Like the Shawshank Redemption guy that knew how to get stuff, in a way. In a few ways, actually.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 18, 2023, 09:09:26 PM
To whom or to what?
Hard for me to put into words, but let's try.

I lived $ELSEWHERE for almost 15 years. When I returned here, I realized everyone had gotten on just fine during that 15 years. And as I started running around again, getting re-acquainted with this area, where I've lived for the vast majority of my life, that almost -everything- had gotten on fine without me, and continues to do so.

There's lots of things I know how to do, that just don't matter anymore, because the things, or processes have evolved, and I get that. But during that 15 years, I was more or less stagnant. Like the Shawshank Redemption guy that knew how to get stuff, in a way. In a few ways, actually.
You thought people depended on you?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.