News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Place names that should be spelt differently according to pronounciation

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 02, 2023, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

A few days ago and in light of some maps of the least populated counties, I had to check the outlier in Georgia. That county, Taliaferro, surprised me for two things: It is directly on I-20 (and thus I would have expected it to be more populated) and its pronounciation. If I were to guess from the latter, I would say it would be written "Toliver" instead.

Other examples would include any places ending in -cester besides Cirencester in the UK (the "ce" part should go away) and Buena Vista, Colorado, which really should be "Biuna Vista" so that it doesn't sound bad to Spanish speakers like me. Not to mention if we start with non-English speaking countries (most notably Łódź, pretty much straightforward in its native Polish but its English exonym should be something like "Woodge"). Any other notable examples?
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Big John

1995hoo

The county in Georgia is pronounced that way because it's named for Benjamin Taliaferro, a colonel during the Revolution who pronounced it as "Toliver." He was originally from Virginia and settled in Georgia after the war. Insofar as I'm aware, he was not related to Confederate General William Taliaferro, who pronounced his last name the same way. The latter Taliaferro was rector of William & Mary. My brother's first-year dorm there was named for him but, given the current fad of renaming things, now has a new name.

In terms of the OP's query, Buena Vista, Virginia, is another example where the first word is not pronounced as in Spanish. Rio Road in Charlottesville is not pronounced like the city in Brazil; rather, it's pronounced with a long "i," like referring to rye bread with an "o" on the end.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

It was once noted that a phonetical pronunciation of Gratiot Ave (metro Detroit) could not be printed in a family newspaper.

A number of these "mis"-spellings result from a place name that comes from a different language, and eventually the locals who don't speak that language morph the sounds into their own language.

That doesn't explain English place name pronunciations though. How does Derby become "darby"?

LilianaUwU

Don't get me started on the botched pronunciations of French names in the US.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

kirbykart

Skaneateles, NY
Ischua, NY
Anything "Schuyler"

And one that maybe can't be spelled any differently, but I have to bring up Napoli (nuh-POLE-eye), NY.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 96

kphoger

Texas has plenty.  Here are a couple of ones with a confusing final letter:

Bronte — Pronounced brahnt (neither brohnt nor brahntee.  Should probably be spelled Bront, except that it's named for Charlotte Brontë.

Boerne — Pronounced burnee (not born).  Should probably be spelled Bernie, except that it's named for Ludwig Börne.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Colorado has a lot of them (mostly poor Spanish pronunciations):

Del Norte — Pronounced del nort (not the typical pronunciation of del nortay)

Huerfano — Pronounced warfuhno (not the typical pronunciation of wearfuhno)

Louisville — Pronounced looissvill (not Kentucky's pronunciation)

Monte Vista — Pronounced montuh visstuh (not the typical pronunciation of montay veestuh)

Rio Grande — Pronounced reeoh grand (not the typical pronunciation of reeoh granday)

Of course, that's just a few.

kphoger

Quote from: jlam on November 02, 2023, 11:49:03 AM
uh

This is a sound that basically does not exist in Spanish.

So how should it be pronounced, then?  If anything, Kentucky's should change.

Rio Grande — Pronounced reeoh grand (not the typical pronunciation of reeoh granday)

I can easily forgive this pronunciation.  It used to bug me a lot, but I'm now at the point that even I say it as reeoh grand.  Even though the river was probably first named the Río Grande by a Spanish-Mexican conquistador, the river is not called that in Mexico.  In Mexico, it's been known as the Rio Bravo for just as long—since the 1500s.  So, in my mind anyway, "Rio Grande" is actually the American name for the river (it never caught on in Mexico), so we can pronounce it however we like.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

The references to the Rio Grande prompted me to think of Isle Royale in Michigan. "Royale" is pronounced like "Royal," to the point where I've seen the name of both the island and the national park misspelled as "Isle Royal," presumably by people who heard the name but had not seen it written. I've also heard it mispronounced with "Royale" having the more French-like pronunciation you might expect from seeing the word.

The reference to Louisville made me think of Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. It has a very plain British pronunciation as if it were spelled "Lewisburg." I'm sure that's because the British seized it from the French during the Seven Years' War. The first part, pronouncing "Louis" as "Lewis," doesn't strike me as odd at all, but I find pronouncing "-bourg" as plain "-burg" to be weird.

mgk920

Don't get me started on Wisconsin . . . for example, should 'Waupaca, WI' be spelled 'Waupacka, WI'?

Mike

Takumi

Stanton, Virginia (The silent U is a mystery that baffles out of towners to this day)

Mebane, NC is "mebbin", not "me bane"
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tmoore952

Who's to say they should be spelt differently? It's probably perfectly OK in the originating language. English has a lot of words and place names derived from other languages.

From my experiences in Iceland, at least there aren't many (if any) US place names derived from that language. That language is a whole other ballgame.

golden eagle

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 02, 2023, 08:00:28 AM

Like Versailles (ver-sales), KY or Marseilles (mar-sales), IL.

golden eagle

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2023, 07:40:11 AM
The county in Georgia is pronounced that way because it's named for Benjamin Taliaferro, a colonel during the Revolution who pronounced it as "Toliver." He was originally from Virginia and settled in Georgia after the war. Insofar as I'm aware, he was not related to Confederate General William Taliaferro, who pronounced his last name the same way. The latter Taliaferro was rector of William & Mary. My brother's first-year dorm there was named for him but, given the current fad of renaming things, now has a new name.

In terms of the OP's query, Buena Vista, Virginia, is another example where the first word is not pronounced as in Spanish. Rio Road in Charlottesville is not pronounced like the city in Brazil; rather, it's pronounced with a long "i," like referring to rye bread with an "o" on the end.

Also in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton, rather than the way the city in Texas is pronounced.

golden eagle

Del Norte County, CA is also pronounced this way.

mgk920

Quote from: golden eagle on November 03, 2023, 12:56:58 AM

'Detroit, MI' or the state name of 'Illinois'.

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: Takumi on November 02, 2023, 07:30:42 PM
Stanton, Virginia (The silent U is a mystery that baffles out of towners to this day)
The silent U must be a hidden U as well.   :-D

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Quote from: GaryV on November 03, 2023, 08:03:26 AM
Quote from: Takumi on November 02, 2023, 07:30:42 PM
The silent U must be a hidden U as well.   :-D

It's actually Staunton, but pronounced Stanton. I was making a joke.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: golden eagle on November 03, 2023, 12:56:58 AM

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JayhawkCO

Huerfano — Pronounced warfuhno (not the typical pronunciation of wearfuhno)

Monte Vista — Pronounced montuh visstuh (not the typical pronunciation of montay veestuh)

Of course, that's just a few.

Those are all mild. Buena Vista is just atrocious.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: golden eagle on November 03, 2023, 12:58:42 AM
Also in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton, rather than the way the city in Texas is pronounced.

That's the right pronunciation for the spelling though. The Texas one is the outlier here.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.