News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-86 Current Progress

Started by vdeane, November 20, 2010, 12:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: empirestate on October 15, 2013, 12:50:28 AM

Mm, par for the course. There are still 245 markers on I-390, and I believe the reference markers on I-86 east of Elmira are brand new and still say "17". Usually only in cases of new construction and substantial realignment do you see the marker numbers change. Ultimately, the marker legend identifies a unique point on the state highway system; its identifying functions beyond that are fairly incidental anymore.

I was surprised when the reference markers at the northern end of the US 15 freeway were changed to 99I since that wasn't a realignment or anything. IIRC the guidelines for the reference markers call for not changing the legend if the touring number is changed, since that specific point on the state highway system is inventoried with that information.

agentsteel53

reference markers are some of the last things to get updated.  there are plenty of 7 and 11 markers for 710 and 110, respectively, in the LA area.  there is even a surviving 163 reference marker that is a remnant of the first state route 163: Ave. 29 in Los Angeles. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Not exactly reference markers, but the last time I drove TN 111 between the Kentucky state line and Cookeville, there were still mile markers that referenced TN 42, even though the number had been changed for more than 10 years at the time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 15, 2013, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: empirestate on October 15, 2013, 12:50:28 AM
Mm, par for the course. There are still 245 markers on I-390, and I believe the reference markers on I-86 east of Elmira are brand new and still say "17". Usually only in cases of new construction and substantial realignment do you see the marker numbers change. Ultimately, the marker legend identifies a unique point on the state highway system; its identifying functions beyond that are fairly incidental anymore.

I was surprised when the reference markers at the northern end of the US 15 freeway were changed to 99I since that wasn't a realignment or anything. IIRC the guidelines for the reference markers call for not changing the legend if the touring number is changed, since that specific point on the state highway system is inventoried with that information.

Some of it was new alignment; are there 99I markers south of, say, Gang Mills? I can't recall.

But of course, there's also the question of individual Regions actually paying attention to and following the state guidelines, and there may be some provisions that are open to different interpretation. So yes, sometimes the number gets changed, but that's more the exception than the rule.

vdeane

Region 4 changed all of 390's 245 markers to 390I, but region 6 left them alone, so it looks like we don't even have consistency within a region.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bumppoman

I-86 signage is going up throughout Tioga County this week.  It's mostly being hidden beneath stencil painted wooden NY-17 shields.  What's interesting to note is that the old NY-17 signage is being removed completely, instead of being left on separate posts.  It looks like Region 9 might be leading the way in getting rid of the NY-17 designation.

dgolub

Well, at least for now they would be just making it unsigned.  Are they going to get rid of it altogether?  If so, what happens to routes like NY 17K and NY 17M?  Do they keep their route numbers or do they become NY 86K and NY 86M?

yakra

AIUI, the I-81 overlap is still Future I-86. Is this correct?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Quote from: dgolub on November 01, 2013, 08:37:08 AM
do they become NY 86K and NY 86M?
Nope; even if NYSDOT was still doing lettered suffixes, there's already a NY 86 in a different part of the state.

Quote from: Bumppoman on November 01, 2013, 07:47:44 AM
I-86 signage is going up throughout Tioga County this week.  It's mostly being hidden beneath stencil painted wooden NY-17 shields.  What's interesting to note is that the old NY-17 signage is being removed completely, instead of being left on separate posts.  It looks like Region 9 might be leading the way in getting rid of the NY-17 designation.
Newer region 6 installs (outside of the ones east of Elmira) also omit NY 17; as far as region 6 is concerned, NY 17 is dead, they're just too lazy to remove the old signs west of Elmira.  No idea what region 5 thinks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.